Author Topic: A great watch....  (Read 9684 times)

Offline bkim

• Tent User
Re: A great watch....
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 01:02:35 AM »
Brings back a lot of memories! during the days of the old commonwealth dept of works, worked at all the old repeater stations on the telegraph line when they were still in use, particularly Fairview near Laura, Moreton telegraph Station, Cowen and if I remember correctly Musgrave.  First trip was in the mid sixties, we used to do all the building works and repairs for PMG and also the airports for DCA at Cooktown, Cowen and Iron range

Virtually no photos,  apart from an extended trip to Iron Range airport in 1968 to relocate a wartime building from the far side of the airstrip to near the terminal and renovate it for the itinerant workers to stay at when doing runway repairs or relieving the permanent groundsman at the strip.  We made a frame to sit under the building and used two parallel sets of portable train tracks for cane trains in the paddocks to pull it with the truck to the other side of the strip, have a photo of the building in the middle of the runway.

Used to drive to Portland Roads every 2nd sunday, about 3 hours one way on the track in those days, for the Maluka (a coastal trader) to dock at the jetty with our food and other gear for the job, have to see if I can scan some photos and try and post them.

Remember crossing the Wenlock in late October one year, with an early wet season starting, had the doors open on the 4WD international truck (C1600 model I think) and about 300mm of water running through the cab, the climb out on the southern side was all slippery clay with a vertical shelf on the bank just above the water line.  There was a 4WD club from South Australia camped on the southern side as the water was too deep for the landrovers, they were all taking photos but no one offered to send me one, would have loved to have seen what it looked like, but made it out without having to drag out the cable on the PTO winch.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:12:53 AM by bkim »
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 06:24:36 AM »
Thanks for posting up the link, wondering if the old FJ of mine could make the trip. I am sure it could, its just me driving all that way that's the problem  ;D

GG

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 06:49:32 AM »
Great Stuff bKim would of been a great spot back then no crocs to worry about, going barra fishing on your days off, Did you meet a bloke by the name of owwy onerry he had the lease on Pascoe river station, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 10:37:38 AM »
My mates dad and Uncle the Page brothers from Pomona did the Cape in two williys jeeps in the 60s, Then there was going north on a northern safari, forget were they went great show, Craig

I remember seeing the movie Northern Safari as a kid. It may even have been at the pictures, or drive-in. Keith Adams, driving his old Buick around the outback back in 1955.

http://northernsafari.com/about/
http://www.dirtroaddiaries.com.au/keith-adams
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
Hi Troopy, Thats the one, I saw it around the same time, 64 model I am, Craig

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 10:03:06 PM »
Great Stuff bKim would of been a great spot back then no crocs to worry about, going barra fishing on your days off, Did you meet a bloke by the name of owwy onerry he had the lease on Pascoe river station, Craig

I new a fellow by that name Craig, he lived near Yarraden Station chasing a bit of gold. He also had a house later on down here as well., and if I remember he had a daughter in Weipa. I think he passed on some years ago, though I can not be sure.

I think he went back up to his daughter once he sold the house down here.

Owwy come and asked me one day to run him down to Cairns to buy a new vehicle to go back up to Yarraden. The trouble is we had to go an sell enough gold in one go to buy it, so of to Cairns we go with a couple of sunshine milk tins of gold.

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2017, 12:33:07 AM »

Never had the free time to meet too many people Craig, did know Bert Harris the publican at Coen, who was duffing cattle and had a falling out with his partner in crime with a shootout in the street at Coen (just like the wild west), also Toot's Holzhiemer, a local legend! (google her) who with her husband ran trucks freighting gear up on the cape. When we were at Iron Range or Moreton Telegraph Station, she would deliver material for us and off load at Coen airport and we would drive down and collect it in the 4WD trucks. Tootsie was killed in an accident and there is / was a memorial to her at the Archer River roadhouse, there were a few others but I think most of them would have passed on by now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9-xdtSJHfM

The crocs were there! possibly just not as many and they were much more cautious then, they seemed to know (just like crows) if you had a rifle with you, had a single shot .310 with a sliding breech, didn't carry much distance but a hell of a wallop at close range! had a close encounter with one (early 70's) in the long grass on the banks of the Wenlock just downstream of the telegraph station one afternoon while fishing for barra

Last time I was on the cape for a holiday trip, I drove from Chilli Beach to the Hahn River roadhouse easily in a day with stops along the way, the trip in 68 as the first vehicle in after the wet took 4 days and 3 nights from Coen to Iron Range! coming down from Moreton to Coen involved hand shovelling a ton or so of sand onto the truck to try and make the drive slightly smoother and depart Moreton at daybreak for a hopeful arrival at Coen airport by dark.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:00:54 AM by bkim »

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 04:13:01 AM »
Hi Jclures, Sounds like him, Dad and I camped near him and his brother in 1987 at Port Stewart or silver pains, for a couple weeks his brother had a cattle propity at charters Towers, Lovely old buggers, And I always wondered what he got up to and were he was every time I went back up the Cape, Were's Yarraden station, Craig

Hi Bkim,  Great memories for you, I ve heard of Toots must of been a tough lady, 310 I have one of them 1901 cadet rifle CMf SA mine is, Wild old tracks them days for shore,  they were rough enough for me in the 1982 when I first had a go at coming up, got to Laura and turned around as it was late February and an old fellow at Cooktown said do not go up there mate the Crocs are nesting the wet about to start, lucky we headed for home got back Yungurra and it started pooring rain so headed for home it flooded behind us all the way back here, Craig     

Offline Dogsbreakfast

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 10:44:56 AM »
Wow, fancy...
All the lesbians I know would be flat out buying you a Swatch, never mind a Rolex... ;D

You wouldnt want to watch any of the ones i know.....
http://www.somuchviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/beer-holder.gif

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 08:05:29 AM »
Craig, Owwy used to go to Port Stewart quite a bit, his gold lease was just west of Yarraden station.  Yarraden station is North of Musgrave, you pass through Yarraden station to go to the southern side of Aurukun on the Archer River.
I first met Owwy in 1986, or 87 up at Yarraden.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
Thank you for that JC, He was a lovely old fellow with some great stories of huge barra he had caught when he first moved to the Pascoe river, I am glad he seen his days out doing what he loved because it would of been a tough life on the Pascoe.  Craig