Author Topic: A great watch....  (Read 9683 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
A great watch....
« on: May 10, 2017, 07:14:54 PM »
For anyone wanting to watch an old school 4wd adventure video, this is well worth watching. https://www.4x4australia.com.au/explore/qld/1705/video-fj40-toyota-land-cruiser-in-cape-york-1975?fb_action_ids=2278814102342766&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B1127836897321491%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D
I happen to know Norm and his lovely wife Sandy who star in the video, and another mate Brett did the production of the show. Myself and a group of other guys were lucky enough to be staying at Norms property on the weekend they premiered this video in his shed, it was a great watch and finally it's now being hosted where other people can view it.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: pommiedic, Hairs, sol, edz, Steffo1, paceman

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
Re: A great watch....
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
I have a great watch too , Had it for years and it still tells the right time. Not sure about the date , me eyes ain't that good anymore .   ;D ;D
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
I have a great watch too , Had it for years and it still tells the right time. Not sure about the date , me eyes ain't that good anymore .   ;D ;D
i asked the lesbians next door if I could have a watch, they misunderstood me though, bought me a Rolex ;D

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »
i asked the lesbians next door if I could have a watch, they misunderstood me though, bought me a Rolex ;D
Wow, fancy...
All the lesbians I know would be flat out buying you a Swatch, never mind a Rolex... ;D

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »
Awesome Movie.......

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 08:03:47 PM »
Awesome Movie.......
certainly is hey, an adventure of a lifetime.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
It makes me want to buy a big old catamaran cut the ****er in half and bolt a 200 to the back of the prado and go north
 ;D :cheers:

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 08:12:24 PM »
Rumpig, I too have meet Norm and he was one the first people to extract money out of my pocket when I got into 4wds in 1982, fitting accessaries and servicing. Norm was a bit of a pioneer in the early days of the 4wd industry. Opening Traction 4 in Artarmon Sydney, in an old super six asbestos shed assisted by his wife Sandy in the office and his work shop manager Richard Stephens an ex Toyota mechanic they fitted out my HiLux including fabricating bits that weren't commercially available, did all my servicing and also replacing a failed motor.
I did a trip to the Cape in 1987 and Norm was a source of info then.
After  I moved out to the mountains i continue to drive back for servicing until he sold up and moved up the coast to I think the port Stephens area, and I found a new mechanic.
I know Norm could be found on the LCool site, not sure if he still there as I haven't visited that site for a while.
A gentleman of the industry.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 08:17:16 PM »
Mal, Thanks for sharing as that's an amazing Video. While I've never meet Norm face to face, I have interacted with him many times on another forum as he is the nicest and most helpful guy.

This does make the rest of us look soft and he is a true pioneer.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 08:20:54 PM »
Great stuff Rummy ..
 Gee how irresponsible where they !!   fancy taking a home built trailer made up of not much more than a few lengths of 2" box  and an old set of car stub axles and leaf springs .."  That piece of crap wouldnt last five minutes  " off into wilds of virtualy untamed Cape York, with little kids no less ..  ;D LOL.
What were they thinking, Every one knows that  you cant do any tracks or touring with out aircon airlockers mega lift fancy bar work and an airbagged independent or coil sprung blinged out electric every thing ice cold and latte equipped mobile home away from home ..  ;D ;D
Nothing but good O'l fashioned Nouse,  Know how and Have a go attitude mixed with self reliance and belief in their abilities . O'l Skool Aussies at their best .. 
Bloody well miss these sorts of blokes ..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:23:25 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 08:51:36 PM »
Rumpig, I too have meet Norm and he was one the first people to extract money out of my pocket when I got into 4wds in 1982, fitting accessaries and servicing. Norm was a bit of a pioneer in the early days of the 4wd industry. Opening Traction 4 in Artarmon Sydney, in an old super six asbestos shed assisted by his wife Sandy in the office and his work shop manager Richard Stephens an ex Toyota mechanic they fitted out my HiLux including fabricating bits that weren't commercially available, did all my servicing and also replacing a failed motor.
I did a trip to the Cape in 1987 and Norm was a source of info then.
After  I moved out to the mountains i continue to drive back for servicing until he sold up and moved up the coast to I think the port Stephens area, and I found a new mechanic.
I know Norm could be found on the LCool site, not sure if he still there as I haven't visited that site for a while.
A gentleman of the industry.
As you say Rags, he is a true gentleman....don't think he really frequents any forums much at all these days though. Norm and Sandy used to live on a property in the general area you mention (I won't where exactly in a public forum), I believe they have recently sold that and moved to a smaller property recently though.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:55:17 PM »
That was brilliant, thanks for sharing mate.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »
That was brilliant, thanks for sharing mate.
thought the same the first time I watched it also...I just watched it again right now myself actually...lol

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »
A few observations, Norm mentioned that they werent allowed to drive on the roads with the bobcat tyres so carried a second set of wheels n  tyres,
they had to do winching no problems just break out the turfor,
and lack of crocs, similar to when we went in 1987 crocs weren't a problem then!
Also I like the shot of the home,it reminds me of our childhood home in the same area of Sydney, were my 87 year old mum resides and hasn't changed much since she moved there with my dad in 1951
Great video but reminds me of how our modern day material needs or greeds control our life,

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 06:59:25 AM »
Thanks for sharing Mal, that was great. an adventure alright, clever rafts they made.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline xvprado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 08:58:13 AM »
I know Norm could be found on the LCool site,

Norm very rarely makes an appearance there, these days. You do see him pop up occasionally on the TLCC site

Lovely man and it is so good to see some of his amazing life story preserved
Glen
Hawkesbury Valley, Sydderney
2015 200 TD VX & Mountain Trail LXV4.7

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
Quote from: rags
Also I like the shot of the home,it reminds me of our childhood home in the same area of Sydney, were my 87 year old mum resides and hasn't changed much since she moved there with my dad in 1951
sad how most of those good old solid hardwood framed houses have been dozed to make way for sardine cans on 4ft blocks of land where you have common walls..
... 180-200 is the most common smaller block size in Melbourne"
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »
Thanks for posting. Great to watch, and he seems a very down to earth character.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »
Hi Rumpig, Thanks for sharing great show I loved it, What a top Idea with the foam, My dad and I did the Cape in 1987 we saw heaps of big Crocs 3,5 to 5m around all them rivers like the Delhunty You just had to walk back up the river a couple ks and they were there, Craig
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:03:25 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 05:32:07 PM »
Hi Rumpig, Thanks for sharing great show I loved it, What a top Idea with the foam, My dad and I did the Cape in 1987 we saw heaps of big Crocs 3,5 to 5m around all them rivers like the Delhunty You just had to walk back up the river a couple ks and they were there, Craig
we saw plenty in 2006 when we were last up there...saw a monster at Wajul Wajul Community as we drove along side the water there, and also saw another biggie at your favourite area when we camped at Pennefather River, saw a group of small freshies in the middle of nowhere as we drove up the Developmental Rd also...how times have changed hey. Glad you enjoyed watching if
Thanks for posting. Great to watch, and he seems a very down to earth character.
yep he's a top bloke old Norm is...glad you enjoyed it

Thanks for sharing Mal, that was great. an adventure alright, clever rafts they made.
Certainly a great adventure hey, can't imagine risking putting my own fourby on a raft like that today that's for sure...lol

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 05:46:53 PM »
It would of been a great trip, But we forget in 1975 that would of been a brand new 4 speed with 2F motor, My brother had the same one new they were such a good 4wd, heaps of power but 12 mile to the gallon, Craig

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »
can't imagine risking putting my own fourby on a raft like that today that's for sure...lol

I'm thinking you'd be wanting a few more rafts.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
Great video.

I remember a guy coming into Harvey Norman in Cairns, where I was working, and asked if I could copy a video for him. He drove to the Cape in 1971 in a ht Holden with modified tyres and suspension. I watched some of the video and it was a real adventure. I should have done a copy for myself.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 07:01:11 PM »
My mates dad and Uncle the Page brothers from Pomona did the Cape in two williys jeeps in the 60s, Then there was going north on a northern safari, forget were they went great show, Craig

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 07:26:11 PM »
Great video.

I remember a guy coming into Harvey Norman in Cairns, where I was working, and asked if I could copy a video for him. He drove to the Cape in 1971 in a ht Holden with modified tyres and suspension. I watched some of the video and it was a real adventure. I should have done a copy for myself.

Mark
i wish I had video of some trips I did many years ago, sadly I never took so much as a photograph on my early trips, let alone video footage  :'(