Author Topic: Transport of camper - Caloundra to Melbourne - cost estimate  (Read 3733 times)

Offline lochgilphead

• Tent User
  • Disgruntled by work; Gruntled by camping
Transport of camper - Caloundra to Melbourne - cost estimate
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:41:12 PM »
The boss and I have been thinking of buying a camper manufactured in Queensland.  There are unfortunately issues with getting vicwegian rego on a vehicle in QLD and a temporary transfer permit only allows a few days to get back.  I figure if I am driving 2000k to pick it up I should at least have a decent holiday getting it back. 

A mate suggested getting it shipped to Melbourne.  I haven't at this stage approached the manufacturer as I thought with the vast amount of experience on this forum someone will have an idea on the costs involved.  The unit weighs about 1500 k and is 6.4 metres long.  I did a rough calculation and estimate it would cost $1200 give or take to drive up and back with a couple of motel nights, meals and fuel etc.

I know there are a number of other considerations such as if there are issues with build quality or things not right, however if I do a five day quick trip to pick the thing up I can hardly loiter while these issues are addressed. 

Ideas or suggestions fellow swaggers?
Mac and Jen - Isuzu MUX with some small mods towing a Rhinomax Discovery. This is our rig until we stop travelling!!

scarpsD40

Re: Transport of camper - Caloundra to Melbourne - cost estimate
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »

The boss and I have been thinking of buying a camper manufactured in Queensland.  There are unfortunately issues with getting vicwegian rego on a vehicle in QLD and a temporary transfer permit only allows a few days to get back.  I figure if I am driving 2000k to pick it up I should at least have a decent holiday getting it back. 

A mate suggested getting it shipped to Melbourne.  I haven't at this stage approached the manufacturer as I thought with the vast amount of experience on this forum someone will have an idea on the costs involved.  The unit weighs about 1500 k and is 6.4 metres long.  I did a rough calculation and estimate it would cost $1200 give or take to drive up and back with a couple of motel nights, meals and fuel etc.

I know there are a number of other considerations such as if there are issues with build quality or things not right, however if I do a five day quick trip to pick the thing up I can hardly loiter while these issues are addressed. 

Ideas or suggestions fellow swaggers?
do you know anyone that lives in Qld?

We had similar challenge bringing the Trackie back from Bris as we wanted to take 2 weeks holiday in NSW on the way.
Insurance is also a consideration although in the end our insurer was happy to use the VIN number for the cover note.

So what we did is get a Qld friend to let us use his address and rego in Qld for 12months. There's a form you need to get 'the friend' to fill out and sign.
Once we got it home and after 6months, we took it into VicRoads and changed the rego over.

Not as much hassle as we thought.

The following users thanked this post: lochgilphead

Offline lochgilphead

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:24:43 PM »
Thanks Scarps - another consideration - yes we do have a contact in QLD
Mac and Jen - Isuzu MUX with some small mods towing a Rhinomax Discovery. This is our rig until we stop travelling!!

Offline Paulyg

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »
I just had a camper delivered from Maroochydore  to a depot in Melbourne cost was $1200

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
Mine cost around $300-400 to get freighted down by some caravan transport company, it was arranged after many weeks of bullShit and dribble by the manufacturer...

Take the opportunity to go pick it up in person - if there are any faults - your on the spot to get them fixed, and not have to worry about freighting it back there to get fixed... And if they know your showing up for it, your likely to get a better job.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline lochgilphead

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 07:30:27 PM »
Mine cost around $300-400 to get freighted down by some caravan transport company, it was arranged after many weeks of bullShit and dribble by the manufacturer...

Take the opportunity to go pick it up in person - if there are any faults - your on the spot to get them fixed, and not have to worry about freighting it back there to get fixed... And if they know your showing up for it, your likely to get a better job.

A definite point Bird, thanks.  We will have to think this through some more I believe.

Offline kizza1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 08:04:15 PM »
We used to pay 800 from memory to get 4-5m boats to Melbourne through d and s transport

theins

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 08:38:12 PM »
We paid about 500 to have ours shipped from north of Brisbane to Melbourne.

Check with the manufacturer... our arranged it for us.

You can get a temporary permit from VicRoads that will allow you to pick it up from the depot and drive it to the VicRoads office for registration.

Cheers

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 08:45:29 PM »
Treg up & make dust . Go & get the CT , then get used to the quick set on the way home . lf its to far to go to get it just how far are you planning to go to use it . lf your dreams don't frighten you your not dreaming BIG enough                    :-[                                         :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline su888

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 05:57:27 AM »
i paid $800 for a 4.6metre boat and trailer to get from Caloundra to Melbourne about 12 months ago.

Offline kman oz

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
The manufacturer should be able to organise qld reg for you I'd think, apparently you only need to spend 3 nights at a caravan park in qld and u can use their address to register.