Author Topic: A little help with camper choice  (Read 2389 times)

Offline wallynut

• Learning the Ropes
A little help with camper choice
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »
Hi,

I have been looking at campers for a while now but am still confused as anything on which camper to go for.
I have narrowed my choice down to either a Lifestyle, Trackabout, Vacation Campers or an AussieJays Crusher.

Questions:
Size of tent,  has anyone come across camping areas that would not fit a larger tent like the AussieJays 12ft tent ?

Big difference in price for AussieJays and the other campers, up to 10k difference.  What is the reason for the price difference ?

Electric Brakes,  How do electric brakes handle in emergency situations over hydraulic ?   Maybe a lack of understanding from me but if I am doing 100kms and slam my brakes on, I don't think I will be reaching for the brake controller.  I see the benefit going down hill and up hill, but don't see a benefit emergency situations.

Been following myswag for ages so I am sure someone will put me in the right direction.

Wally

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: A little help with camper choice
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »
Quote from: wallynut
Size of tent,  has anyone come across camping areas that would not fit a larger tent like the AussieJays 12ft tent ?
There are threads on this with the main one being certain caravan parks they wont fit.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
Welcome Wally.
No chance of a liitle help here mate - you will get heaps!
There certainly are instances where the size of tent can be a limiting factor - although 12' won't have as many problems as an 18'!

By the way, if you include your location in your 'avatar' no one will need to ask "Where's Wally?"     ;D :cheers:
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
With electric brakes you certainly don't go reaching for the controller as you try to stop from 100kph!  The controller in your tow car senses the decelleration and applies a proportional voltage to the brakes on the trailer to slow it down - the faster you try to stop the harder the electric brakes are applied.

Hydraulic trailer brakes work on the overrun principle: if the car is trying to go slower than the trailer the trailer brakes are applied.  Works well but there is no proportionality, it's either on or off which can result in the trailer hammering the towbar in a hard stop.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

KingBilly

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
Firstly, welcome to the forum.  Hope you enjoy your time on here.

I have been looking at campers for a while now but am still confused as anything on which camper to go for.
I have narrowed my choice down to either a Lifestyle, Trackabout, Vacation Campers or an AussieJays Crusher

Don't forget the Customline

As Lost said this has been discussed on here a couple of times but only two swaggers, to my knowledge, have said they have personally found a CP site which would not take a large tent.  I would suggest this is an urban myth  8)  We have a 12' tent and have not had a problem but then we have not been to every CP in Australia either  :D

Good luck with your decisions.
KB

Offline Jjw1234

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:58:30 PM »
We have only recently got the crusher from aussie jays. So far I've booked it isn't a few big 4 parks and I've had no issue with the 12 ft.

Offline JB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 03:16:34 PM »
Ill be number three then.  We had a problem at the Toora Caravan Park when we had our soft floor. We only just fit a 9ft in. It wouldn't have taken a 12 ft. 

In saying that, and whilst The Toora Park was pleasant, I now wouldn't stay in a park that had everyone squeezed in like that.

Cheers

JB
NW Pajero - 'Kat'  The Canopy Camper