Author Topic: ADVICE FOR A MATE Cub Cubonda rear fold softfloor prototype  (Read 2948 times)

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
ADVICE FOR A MATE Cub Cubonda rear fold softfloor prototype
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
This is my mates requirements for a camper for his family (2 adults, 3 kids under 5).

He owns a recent Honda Oddyssey which imposes the following towing limitations
450kg unbraked trailer,
1000kg braked, and
50kg max towball vertical download

They  want to spend $5-7,000 and get a pop up or camper trailer that could sleep 5 or 6, have a fridge, sink with water tank, stove and not be too tricky to set up and pack up. 

He liked my  set up (ie an 80's Jayco camper trailer) .  The extra space that an enclosed annex gives would be an ideal extra.

I figured the  towing capacity of his  car is a big limiting factor particularly the ball weight.  I though he might sneak into an old Jayco Dove or Swan, but I suspect that the ball weight will be quite problematic

I suggested :

http://www.cubcampers.com.au/the-range/pre-loved-campers#!prettyPhoto

Cub Cubonda Rear Fold Soft Floor camper $4990
"Built 2011, this prototype was a test of a successful model from several years ago. The Cubonda was being considered for re-introduction into our large range of models, but returning to a soft floor was in conflict with our successful hard floor range and so the prototype is for sale.

This comes with a water tank, stainless steel roll out kitchen bench, portable stove, pantry drawer. These are where the silver hatch  ios at the front of the camper. It has a a queen size bed. An awning is included. Like all hard floor Cubs, it is built using Australian steel and Australian canvas."

Essentially, the kitchen will be outside. They would also need to buy a plastic table and benches.

If he wants annexe walls he will need to get the awning altered to but he could get made locally.

It is the same size as a supamatic.  However, it has a soft floor at the back, rather than a hard floor. It is a heap cheaper than a hard floor camper, and it comes from a quality brand using quality Australian made canvas. The parents  would sleep in the queen bed mattress on the hard floor and the kiddies would sleep on stretcher beds, airbeds whatever on the floor at the back.

Ball Weight 38kg
Tare 390kg

This means that they  could tow it without a brake controller. It does not come with electric brakes

I think when Cub  brought this to market they were looking to sell it for a bit under 10k. I thought I saw it on their website a few months ago for $7k. It is now $5k, which I reckon it pretty good value.

However, they could  get second hard hard floor Buc campers for around $8k and up.

Am I giving my mate good advice? or are there other options that I am missing. What do you reckon? Keen for advise from the collective minds of swaggers.

I figure there are other good second hard side fold campers with varying levels of features for similar money.

2010 Kia Sorrento, 2013 Outback Swan

Offline Lori

• Tent User
Re: ADVICE FOR A MATE Cub Cubonda rear fold softfloor prototype
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »
That tent looks rather small, Im not sure how successful they would be at sleeping three kids in that space.

It could work if they were willing to move all the bedding in the day time and put it back down at night, otherwise it would make access inside the camper a challenge and as much as you think you dont go in there much - you just do, always getting something or other.

Also they would need to think about what their intentions are for the future. How long do they want to keep it, will it grow with the families needs ect.

There is little doubt that the price is a good one, but will the camper suit the family as well as the car?

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:55:43 AM »
That tent looks rather small, Im not sure how successful they would be at sleeping three kids in that space.

Good point. It might be a bit cramped and awkward. I don't think they are planning on having more kids. Nonetheless, 3 kids might be a squeeze. I don't actually know the dimensions, but I understand it is the same size as the Cub Supermatic.

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
I found this, it might be of some interest - I know a 2009 Jayco isnt going to be in the stated price range but you can see that one of their models have towball weights less than 80kg with tare weights that would require braking but are still within tolorances.

http://www.jayco.com.au/_pdf_files/2009_Jayco_Camper_Trailer.pdf

Woops, I misread - I thought it was 80kg down weight not 50kg.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:25:49 PM by Lori »

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:00:03 AM »
Have you had a look at the Outback Camper range.  They start with the Nepean @ 280kg and work their way up.

They are often available 2nd hand as they have been around for ages

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »
Thanks for the tip. There are a few manufacturers of rear fold soft floor campers, but I had not come across that one before. I will pass it on to my mate.