Author Topic: A different camper for sale  (Read 4393 times)

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
A different camper for sale
« on: July 27, 2012, 08:39:07 AM »
A different concept in a camper build  http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cairns-area/other-automotive/woop-woop-camper-trailer-the-best-off-road-camper-in-australia/1004921887 ..... , awesome looking departure angles and massive drawbar height  , full alloy ... and its for sale as well ..... not mine but I have seen it in the flesh

Cheers

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: A different camper for sale
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 10:08:44 AM »
Price looks good... $9k... would be worth investigating.

Fully fabricated aluminum 7x4 camper trailer.
Independent tor suspension rated to 1500kg
Swing out tail gate kitchen with Sink
Drawer Jerry can holders
Spare wheel and spare wheel holder
Queen size bed
High quality canvas with annex
High Clarence draw bar and cropped corner for extreme off roading
750kg fully loaded for light weight towing
Fully engineered and manufactured in Australia

Nice looking thing, but gee, you'd go some better photos if you were selling one...

The photo isnt clear, but corners and drawbar welds areas look industrial, or is it just a bad photo?

Would there be any issue in having a drawbar on an angle like that? Seems like a simple idea, wonder why more dont do it.

Only mention I can see on them was 12mths ago on 4wd action forum.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:18:40 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:11:25 AM »
Would there be any issue in having a drawbar on an angle like that? Seems like a simple idea, wonder why more dont do it.

Opening the tail gate/rear doors on the car might be fun...........
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
From memory , the drawbar had main rails going through to the back of the trailer , but I  think they where up the top of the trailer .
Think of the clearance it would create having it done this one .

Geoffa .... might be a drama opening the tailgate , I dont ever think you will get any 1 camper to suit every vehicle or person .

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »
Hmm...interesting with an underslung structural monocoque body instead of an overlaid less structural body. I'd be interested in knowing how the suspension was attached.

As for that drawbar with 2 large top members ultimately running right to the back of the trailer, the drawbar setup itself, could consist of 4 smaller triangulated members to all 4 corners of the trailer body and not affect clearance over humps much at all. That would allow spare wheel, gas bottles, etc to sit within the triangulated drawbar framing, with the largest (deepest) closest to the trailer front. In any case a 4 member triangulated drawbar would easily negotiate anything the tug could with a high hitch and that's the limiting factor at play here.

A mesh bottom and chequer plate sides to the triangulated drawbar and who needs large members and stone protection eh? 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:19:17 PM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 03:44:01 PM »
I reckon a drawbar like that would be magic over the crest of sand dunes, all that extra clearance

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »
it will have C of G issues in tight situations. Also remember what happened to the De-Havilland Comets...
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 06:43:17 PM »
All I can see is the front smacking into things.  Sure you gain clearance having the bar high but with it low it basically becomes a sled that help to slide over the obstacle.

11/10 for innovation though.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »
it will have C of G issues in tight situations. Also remember what happened to the De-Havilland Comets...

Now you have me curious ... what do you mean by your comment ?

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
Failure of the structure due to metal fatigue.
Although I very much doubt this trailer will be put through repeated Pressurisation and  depressurisation and extreme temperature / altitude variations, for  forty thousand hours ..LOL .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »
Failure of the structure due to metal fatigue.
Although I very much doubt this trailer will be put through repeated Pressurisation and  depressurisation and extreme temperature / altitude variations, for  forty thousand hours ..LOL .

I'll believe you ... too many big words in there for me ...lol

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 08:40:52 PM »
Hi Rockman
Well the seller says that this is an off road camper soo..... devils advocate
Let's say we are off road and things are crossed up in a tight turn and also at an angle and the inside wheel of the trailer is in a rut.
The trapped wheel (in the rut) becomes a pivot point for the force of the tug to act against
In such a tight spot the tug could be in a position to have leverage pulling on the drawbar not on the bottom of the trailer tub where the weight of the contents are above it but it pulls from the top where it has more leverage (remember we are at an angle) and it can pull ithe trailer over the C of G more easily.
 the key is in the leverage and the relationship between pivots, and the angles they are working from (or against)
After all a trailer is just a tri-cycle without a front wheel, tie a rope to the top of the steering head and pull from a sideways angle of 45% and it will topple, tie it to down round the hub and it will be less likely to topple

If you look at the principle of anti-dive/anti squat suspension, it's very similar line of thought.
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
Hi Rockman
Well the seller says that this is an off road camper soo..... devils advocate
Let's say we are off road and things are crossed up in a tight turn and also at an angle and the inside wheel of the trailer is in a rut.
The trapped wheel (in the rut) becomes a pivot point for the force of the tug to act against
In such a tight spot the tug could be in a position to have leverage pulling on the drawbar not on the bottom of the trailer tub where the weight of the contents are above it but it pulls from the top where it has more leverage (remember we are at an angle) and it can pull ithe trailer over the C of G more easily.
 the key is in the leverage and the relationship between pivots, and the angles they are working from (or against)
After all a trailer is just a tri-cycle without a front wheel, tie a rope to the top of the steering head and pull from a sideways angle of 45% and it will topple, tie it to down round the hub and it will be less likely to topple

If you look at the principle of anti-dive/anti squat suspension, it's very similar line of thought.

Thanks for that ... I think
I can feel a headache coming on trying to sort that out .... I think
After I read it a few more times and take the front wheel on my little girls bike , find a bit of rope and try it out .... I will assume you are right

Cheers

Offline Jasman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 10:55:41 PM »
Found the link to the manufacturer:
www.dencofabrication.com
Jasman.

Offline luxabout

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »