Author Topic: A good bloke hurt in Afghanistan  (Read 3958 times)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
A good bloke hurt in Afghanistan
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »
Hi all

You may have heard that an aussie (Dave Savage) was seriously injured in a suicide bombing in Afghanistan. 

Here is a link;

http://www.smh.com.au/world/canberra-man-hurt-in-suicide-bombing-20120327-1vwx3.html

Dave is a great bloke and I had the pleasure, and fun, of working with him both in policing and with the UN.
He has served in the majority of peacekeeping missions over the past 20 yrs including Mozambique, Cambodia, Bouganville, Solomons and East Timor.  Majority of these were unarmed like most Aus UN Police have been up until recently.

Dave was responsible for helping a number of East Timorese when it went pear shaped at some risk to his life and many thousands were killed.  He nearly died of disease when in Mozambique.

He was also a special operations cop when in uniform.  The thing about Dave is that you wouldnt know his history if you met him.  He may sound like an action man but is very down to earth and the type of bloke we celebrate on Anzac Day.  No BS, no bignoting, just gets on with the job.

I wish him all the best. 

For those of us who are of faith a prayer for him would be appreciated.
For those who are not, maybe raise a beer.  :cheers:

cheers all

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: A good bloke hurt in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 07:35:50 PM »
its got me stuffed why we send good blokes like that overseas  ??? let them look after their own problems  >:(

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »
its got me stuffed why we send good blokes like that overseas  ??? let them look after their own problems  >:(

It's because some people want to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

In order to  make a difference in the lives of others, the cost can sometimes require putting oneself in harms way.

Look at those who follow in the footsteps of our ANZAC tradition.

Enough said

Campfire

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
A good bloke hurt in Afghanistan
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:19:48 PM »
Hi all

You may have heard that an aussie (Dave Savage) was seriously injured in a suicide bombing in Afghanistan. 

Here is a link;

http://www.smh.com.au/world/canberra-man-hurt-in-suicide-bombing-20120327-1vwx3.html

Dave is a great bloke and I had the pleasure, and fun, of working with him both in policing and with the UN.
He has served in the majority of peacekeeping missions over the past 20 yrs including Mozambique, Cambodia, Bouganville, Solomons and East Timor.  Majority of these were unarmed like most Aus UN Police have been up until recently.

Dave was responsible for helping a number of East Timorese when it went pear shaped at some risk to his life and many thousands were killed.  He nearly died of disease when in Mozambique.

He was also a special operations cop when in uniform.  The thing about Dave is that you wouldnt know his history if you met him.  He may sound like an action man but is very down to earth and the type of bloke we celebrate on Anzac Day.  No BS, no bignoting, just gets on with the job.

I wish him all the best. 

For those of us who are of faith a prayer for him would be appreciated.
For those who are not, maybe raise a beer.  :cheers:

cheers all

If it is ok by you Daz, I'll do both...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »
Well Said dazzler
We need more people like Dave
 :cheers: sheeds

Offline Stan Bryant

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »
As an ex service man myself, [nam], can relate to all the comments here,
I salute all serving personal for the job they do,, so little thanks given.
Cheers Stan
THE MIGHTY MUSSO
http://www.myswag.org/gallery/d/37530-2/PC260091.JPG

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
It's because some people want to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

In order to  make a difference in the lives of others, the cost can sometimes require putting oneself in harms way.

Look at those who follow in the footsteps of our ANZAC tradition.

Enough said

Campfire

my old man copped in a bullet in the guts fighting for australia and he was never the same again

we are not at war with any other country so let them sort out their own crap (don't bring the anzac tradition into it)

how do you reckon you'd feel if one of your kids was blown up by a towel head  ???

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:40 PM »
I would like to see all our Diggers come home and this conflict end like anybody else, But being over there is a political decision, our military ( who doesnt get a choice) is over there with a job to do because our elected leaders have made it happen.

I don't care much for politics or Afghanistan itself but I do care for the welfare of our troops, and even 1 service person hurt is 1 too many.

I have some mates still serving who believe in a reason/ purpose for being there ( taskforce reconstruction group building schools , health centres, infastructure etc) .

I'm not debating the politics of the conflict, I'm only saying there are people who are willing be a part of the ADF and volunteer to go in harms way to try and make some good ( peacekeeping) in a world
that isn't perfect. The sooner it's over the better.

Campfire

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:06:28 PM by Campfire »

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
HI Jack

With due respect to your father I WILL bring the Anzac Tradition into this.

I KNOW what Dave has done to create stable democracies in the world that help to protect Australia.  What he has seen is as tough as any Anzac that I know of including my father who was a Navy man whose ship was sunk and he only just survived and was traumatised after.

In Timor Dave and his mate protected locals that were to be killed by the militia by barracading the doors of the station.  The building was raked constantly with automatic weapon fire.  All he had to do was hand them over and they were right to go.  They didnt.  They broke out with the locals and by taking backroads managed to get back to Dili. The roads in ET are bush tracks.  If they want to get you they will.

By the way, the Australian Govt had told them the only way out was to make it into Dili by their own means.  No Australian Army personel carriers.  No SAS, no infantry, no helicopters.  Your on own boys.  Keep in mind they had NO weapons. This is what happened to ALL the unarmed UN that were there.  Radio chatter from the TNI supplied radios picked up that they were going to stop and kill a group of aussies who were trying to get across the island to Dili.  Luckily threats at a high level to the TNI reversed the decision.

Their interpreter was grabbed by the militia and was about to be hacked to death when his mate dove on top of him and told them to kill him if they wanted the interpreter. They backed off and went after others.They actually took time to ring by satphone to say goodbye to their families, that was how bad they thought it was.

I think hes a credit to our nation and the spirit of our great traditions.  Sorry to go on but I dont actually think many australians realise the risks that Dave and his mates put themselves in to do this work.  Just because there is no declaration of war does not change a thing.

I suppose the question is does it take balls to sleep at night without a weapon in a militarized zone where if the enemy want you they can take you whenever they want?  And then when called on you perform like Dave and his mate did?  I don't know how I would have reacted.

Good luck mate!  :cheers:

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:59:15 PM »
my best mate is a cop doing some serious poos (here in Aus) and I worry about him often
get well soon Dave Savage

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 11:43:20 PM »
Here's hoping Dave gets better sooner rather than later....get well Dave

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 06:59:05 AM »
Let's forget the crap, he sounds like a typical great selfless Aussie and here's hoping he can recover fully and quickley.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)