Author Topic: A new thing for us to worry about....  (Read 4161 times)

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
A new thing for us to worry about....
« on: March 28, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
Been reading the recent threads about weight/overloading/GVM. Have just read that the Jackaroo has payload of only 475kg  :o I'm pretty sure I understand that to be the weight we add to the car. I guess it's lucky the kids are little and we're taking the dog, otherwise the potential for overloading would be huge! As it is, there's around 160kg of humans and 45kg of dog leaving around 270kg max for us to put in/on the car. The roof racks and Prorack basket would add a significant amount to that as well as the awning (of course, there are no weight figures listed for these  >:( ). I wanted to take the pushy...16kg, pusher and buggyboard...10kg, car seats...20kg. Fortunately we had already planned only light stuff for the roof basket....

Any others out there planning big trips....don't forget to account for the extra 'stuff' that goes into/on your vehicle!!

Lil :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:44:46 AM by lilstookie »
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:10:21 AM »
Would you also need to consider the towball weight with the trailer on ?
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: A new thing for us to worry about....
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »

Yes.

Cheers
Parry

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »
Mate, the best thing to do is find a local weighbridge, load up the CT & 4BY [just as if you were heading off on a big trip.

Then weigh

1. 4BY with CT attached [just the 4BY on the weighbridge] - total GVM
2. 4BY with CT unattached [as above]- weight of the 4BY
3. 4BY & CT both on the weighbridge - total mass
4. CT on the weighbridge with the 4BY unattached - GCM of the CT.

If you really wanted to get pedantic, you could weigh the 4BY's front axle & rear axle weights as well - might help with suspension upgrades etc.

Once you have an accurate idea of the weights involved, you can then decide what stays & what goes [including the dog!].

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline jnik

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »

For some vehicles it's worse than that ... IIRC my Navara's load capacity drops by 250kg when I've got 150kg down-force on the towball!

Makes sense as the towball load is further back, so the extra leverage needs to be considered.

Offline Hews

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:57:36 PM »
We too are heading off on a big trip very soon and have been worrying about GVM of the vehicle. These threads about weights really should open a few eyes. Luckily we will be just under GVM on the car fully loaded and way under on the trailer - so all good. I will be doing a final weigh next week when we are fully packed.

But it does make you think about all those cars that head off for a weekend of camping loaded to the hilt... roof racks bulging, susspension sagging, boats with bbqs, bikes, eskies, ski gear etc falling out of them. Load weights are one thing that not many people even consider... very scary as it is very easy to overlook in the excitement of getting away!

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »

We have a tonne ... ton ... tun ... 1000kg , so I don't think 150kg on the towball is that much of a worry for us.  It's all the decoration he's added to the ute.  EG: roof rack, tray, bullbar, winch, aerials, CB's, 'must have' grog ...

LilStookie ... have you thought about a 4 door ute?

Once you have an accurate idea of the weights involved, you can then decide what stays & what goes [including the dog!].

I personally .... would rather leave the kids & partner at home.  At least our Dog is trained and obedient.   ;D

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline swoffer

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »
Never had the need to use a weigh bridge but it sounds like I do now  :-[

Does anyone know of a public weigh bridge South of the river in Perth ?

Offline markbos

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »
Is anyone able to recommend a weigh bridge on the Sunshine Coast, and the approximate cost.  The trailer I am sure will be OK. I upgraded the suspension on our Trackabout extenda to 2 tonne.  With 5 kids we need it all :)  but I am a touch worried about the Pajero.   We may need to rethink that one.
Thanks Mark

Offline KevinD4D

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »

I personally .... would rather leave the kids & partner at home.  At least our Dog is trained and obedient.   ;D

Kit_e

Tracey...is that fair????  ;D
2011 Goldstream Wing III (SWMBO's choice) With quite a few mods towed by 2009 GXL D4D 120 Prado with many extras...

Offline gutters

• "When logic fails, force prevails"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • Overland Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »
Is anyone able to recommend a weigh bridge on the Sunshine Coast, and the approximate cost.

I can't make a recommendation but these recent posts about GVMs and weights have me a little worried too. My google searching over the last few days turned up the following info which maybe helpful

http://www.weighbridge.net.au/
http://www.weighbridge.net.au/WP/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Queensland_Weighbridge_Location.pdf
Blog - https://overlandaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/OverlandAustralia/
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVhF6CXHhJEquGz55gtsXWQ
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/australiaoverland/

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »
Kit-e, I like to think that people with well behaved dogs also tend to have well behaved children ;) I know I'm often complemented when I walk into town with the kids and Boo...I might have my hands full (literally), but they're all excellent children  ;D

The dog is coming...I've already put my foot down on that one!

Lil :)

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 04:41:54 PM »
A apologise for my mrs creating a big drama.
Ignorance is bliss and often cheaper.

Stookie
Tight arse scot

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado and Sportscruiser 1550
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »
Hi Mark,
There is a public weighbridge at Forest Glen. Western side up the service road to the north of the BP and another one at Yandina in the industrial estate on the Yandina to Nambour road.
No idea of costs sorry.
 :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline markbos

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 05:45:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies, Gutters and Chris.  I'll give a couple a ring and see how it goes. Stookie on the other hand, I accept the apology but I will not be reading any more of your posts. LOL Only kidding I think????

snakehips

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 07:38:39 PM »
Getting a weighbridge ticket should be around $20.  Try and find a quiet one too - no chance the queue behind me at the local tip was going to wait for 3 weigh ins, so I found a firewood yard with a weighbridge and they were happy to spend the time doing it right.

Found another one at an abbatoir on the south NSW coast who were good too (just to get a weight of the Navara without our goodies cost nothing).  Just give 'em a ring first to make sure it's OK.

Stookie is your 475 kg's the difference between how the car comes out of the factory and it's maximum carrying capacity?  I was confused at first but worked out it didn't come out of the factory with a towbar or a full tank of fuel either, so you might have to add them to your (growing) equation.  My post was probably one you've seen recently and yes it does get bloody annoying when you find out at the last minute what you're able to carry.  Just needs a bit of thought that's all.

the 2 turkeys

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »
Don't forget to fill the fuel tank ,as this is also extra load