Author Topic: A matter of confidence  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
A matter of confidence
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:08:23 AM »
Have done enough short holidays to test survival on solar power only (no other charging devices), and bit the bullet and spent a week in the Flinders.
Tuesday 27/9 arrived at Parachilna gorge (late p.m.) very pleasant, 25c with a 10kt breeze. 01.30 - 02.30 wed a.m. hanging on for dear life as wind gusts were 30+kts. Slept till 03.30 a.m. woken by thunder storm followed by more strong winds.

Wed. Beautiful until 15.00 when wind picked up again. Night time was as bad as the previous night. Hardly any sleep. Told wife weré outa here in the morning but after listening to the 6 am news the front had passed and was moderating, and the strong winds were all over S.A. and into Vic. so decided to stay. Much more pleasant.

The wind gusts were so violent, my main concern was the Cubs framing being bent with no way of straightening it which would make it difficult to close, and while laying awake in bed, I was timing the gusts at about every 30 seconds. If this continued in the morning, I would get 30 seconds to close the camper which would not have been enough.

Anyhow, the solar panels worked a treat and the CT can stand 30kt winds, so will be more confident next time.
Cheers Glenn

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
Re: A matter of confidence
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:30:26 AM »
Muso,

Just out of quriosity what were you running off your solar power system and waht is it made up of.

Cheers Paul.
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »
Hi Paul,  running 50Lt Waeco Dualzone (fridge/freezer/crisper) at -10C, 2 metres of LED strip lights, and re-charging various toys such as, UHF handheld radios, camera, DVD player, eBook reader, mobile phones and shower pump.
I admit we try to be conservative with consumption and it's just the two of us, but I'm never without a cold tinnie and frozen food stays frozen.

We have a portable 2 x 60W solar panel with 10M of cable charging 1 x 120A AGM battery.
Cheers Glenn

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
That is an excellent result Glenn. I am aiming for 2 x 75 watt and 2 x 150 AH AGM's running an engel (60 litre) + strip lights and rechargeables.
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:41:35 AM »
I would think you have plenty of power, and I assume there is more than 2 of you. I had bought my solar setup (just over $1000) when I joined this website and discovered that Mandrake (I think) has the equivalent systems for a MUCH cheaper price than I paid. >:(

One thing I have noticed with my panels, is that I can get almost full charge on an overcast day or in the shade of a tree.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:47:14 AM by Muso »
Cheers Glenn