Author Topic: Commonwealth overrides Victoria on issue of grazing in alpine park  (Read 17443 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Commonwealth overrides Victoria on issue of grazing in alpine park
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »
Quote from: dazzler
Treat it like one I reckon.
I agree... close them so future generations in 20,000 years time can see them too.
Between now and then, nobody is allowed in.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
I'd much prefer National Parks to private resorts, which is what we would get if silver spoon Ted and his Liberal Party mates had their way :-[
Ted is a dud hence why we don't see or hear much from him... He and his party are lying very low until the next election for fear of being found out!
I can't believe the negativity surrounding our Prime Minister and put most of it down to people absorbing the so obviously bias and DUMB media we are all subjected to ???
Oh and to give some perspective: It's not alpine grazing that is banned, just grazing within the Alpine N.P.
 :cheers:

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
I'd much prefer National Parks to private resorts, which is what we would get if silver spoon Ted and his Liberal Party mates had their way

It was the former labor gov't that instigated the report into developing of National parks to allow private development and how to streamline the process to remove extra costs and obstacles to developers and veto rights of most gov't departments...  I don't think it matters who is in power, I think that they will soon allow private developers in to open resorts / camp grounds, etc and then ban free camping elsewhere so as not to provide "unfair" competition to the developers.  Hope it never happens but fully expect it to.

Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
Join up, it is only $40/yr - Mountain Cattlemen’s Association of Victoria
http://www.mcav.com.au/documents/MCAV%20Membership%20Form%202011-12.pdf
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
So when do you think whatever government is in will REALLY get real and send in licensed shooters (not hunters) to get rid of all, and I mean ALL those bloody horses that do more damage than the cattle, the feral dogs (not dingos) and cats that live off of the native animals that are left ?
Not in my lifetime  methinks.
Could you imagine all the "animal lovers" screaming their mammary's off  if their darling "brumbies" were turned into food for my registered, microchipped and desexed dog. That was tried in the "Kozy Park" a few years ago but was dropped, it was called culling, I called it wonderfull !!
These animals are all ok in their place, but that is not in the Australian bush.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I am rather passionate about this country of ours, and think the silent majority is going to have to start shouting  louder and tell more lies and half truths than the "greenies" to protect our heritage and lifestyle

cheers Keith

ps if you think this I'm over the top on this don't get me started on people that leave rubbish around river banks and camp sites

spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
So when do you think whatever government is in will REALLY get real and send in licensed shooters (not hunters) to get rid of all, and I mean ALL those bloody horses that do more damage than the cattle, the feral dogs (not dingos) and cats that live off of the native animals that are left ?
Not in my lifetime  methinks.
Could you imagine all the "animal lovers" screaming their mammary's off  if their darling "brumbies" were turned into food for my registered, microchipped and desexed dog. That was tried in the "Kozy Park" a few years ago but was dropped, it was called culling, I called it wonderfull !!
These animals are all ok in their place, but that is not in the Australian bush.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I am rather passionate about this country of ours, and think the silent majority is going to have to start shouting  louder and tell more lies and half truths than the "greenies" to protect our heritage and lifestyle

cheers Keith

ps if you think this I'm over the top on this don't get me started on people that leave rubbish around river banks and camp sites

Agreed, agreed, agreed....  We had this same conversation over the weekend and I brought up exactly the same sorts of things about horses, etc but you should add deer to the list, specially Sambar.  They are an introduced species, a pest animal and are breeding out of control even though there are heaps of people hunting them using hounds and by stalking.  They are huge animals, not quite the size of a horse but still a big heavy animal easily the size of a cow.  It is too easy for the gov't to say they are doing something by doing something that costs them nothing when in reality, they need to spend money to do the job properly.  There is that saying...  If it is worth doing, it is worth doing properly. 

Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »
Hmm...

The Baillieu government has failed in its legal bid to overturn a ban by the Commonwealth on its plans to return cattle grazing to the Alpine National Park.

In a judgment handed down in the Federal Court on Friday, Justice Susan Kenny dismissed Victoria's case on all grounds and ordered the state to pay legal costs.

The Baillieu government had wanted to run a six-year trial to test whether cattle grazing curbed bushfire risk by reducing fuel loads.

Cattle grazing in the park was banned by the Bracks government in 2005, with compensation paid to grazing families. But cows were returned to the park in early 2011 by the Baillieu government, soon after it won office.

Critics say the practice damages the pristine alpine wilderness and the trial is a political sop to the Mountain Cattlemens Association of Victoria who publicly and financially backed the Coalition at the last state election.

After 400 cows re-entered the park two summers ago, the Commonwealth ordered they be removed because the grazing trial had not received approval under national environment laws

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/environment/cattle-grazing-ban-to-stand-20130104-2c8b0.html#ixzz2GyGe90ns
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 09:56:41 PM »
Well, seeing as we saw this a few days ago, and  had to move a few "steamers" to set up, i suppose we had better savour the moment, at least my kids got to see it........

There was half a dozen cows wandering around Pineapple flat when we dropped by too........ Never seen then at Pineapple flat before, plenty of times up the hill....
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User

scarps

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2014, 05:28:08 PM »
wow, let's reignite this age old discussion.

There'd be more than 60 (and possibly more than 300) wild brumbies already in the alpine areas.

I also read an article today that the Gov are thinking of approving an extended deer hunt in the Vic HC as they are reaching endemic number also. Are we discriminating agains the cows?

What next, they'll cull mountain folk, myswaggers, and 4wd'ers for overbreeding in the bush?

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »
Drove Davies plains track on Monday, came across 3 different mobs of brumbies.  Would be thinking your estimate of numbers would be at the upper end or over the numbers you said
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline Andrew_C

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
I know a lot of the truths of cattle in the high country, and don't take either sides views 100%. Cattle should be allowed to be run in the high country, in fenced grass plain areas that keep them out of water courses and it should be an open tender process that gives every Victorian an opportunity to tender, highest bidders win and so does Victoria.
No closed shop ripping off the public for all it worth in the name of history. Cows make no difference to fuel loads in forest, they don't eat bark and sticks, only grass.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »
Less grass , less ability to burn the bark & twigs .   For F#$% sake FIRE is so much a part of Australian bush .
 What ever we can do to feed us before the High country goes up .Then so much the better .
1/2 witted green treehuggers . that wouldn't know if a large brown dog was up them can go & fight the fires that they fuelled . Or will they drink coffee & P%^& in their pockets about vege tucker not beef
Don't urinate upon my dorsal area  & claim perspiration   

Got a problem eat the deposits of a ruminate  ,     are you with me                                       ;D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Andrew_C

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2014, 08:13:28 PM »
It's political, not about fires. What will get votes, are the green voters going to get your party elected or the cattlemen. Who has the cash to shout the loudest.
I have no side but I see both sides doing what I do, 
Like I said, they should be allowed in the high country on whatever crown land suits (park or forest), but fenced from waterways (have you seen what cattle do to farm dams).
The licence to run them should be open tender, it's land owned buy the Victorian public, so anybody should have an opportunity to have a crack, not just a handshake few.

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2014, 08:31:55 PM »
great points Andrew.

NSW stopped grazing (pretty sure in the 80's) ages ago, as the science showed that the best way to look after the Alps was with out cattle grazing. I really cant work out why there has been so much political footballing with the Parks in Vic.

Offline sschmez

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • sschmez's "Huts" photos on flickr
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »
Can't compare damaged farm dams to high country grazing
stocking rates are vastly different ... but go ahead people who don't know will believe

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2014, 10:39:53 PM »
It's political, not about fires. What will get votes, are the green voters going to get your party elected or the cattlemen. Who has the cash to shout the loudest.
Bingo.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2014, 06:54:18 AM »
Less grass , less ability to burn the bark & twigs .   For F#$% sake FIRE is so much a part of Australian bush .
 What ever we can do to feed us before the High country goes up .Then so much the better .
1/2 witted green treehuggers . that wouldn't know if a large brown dog was up them can go & fight the fires that they fuelled . Or will they drink coffee & P%^& in their pockets about vege tucker not beef
Don't urinate upon my dorsal area  & claim perspiration   

Got a problem eat the deposits of a ruminate  ,     are you with me                                       ;D
read my mind

gordo350

Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion