Author Topic: Rims  (Read 1992 times)

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
Rims
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »
G'day all,
I was sitting in the shed having a beer this arvo and noticed something in the camper that should have been seen ages ago. One of the selling points for the camper was 16" Hilux rims with new tyres but i've noticed they've been rubbing on the trailer side, and there's also the nut on a clamp for the springs that rubs when it hits a bump. Obviously to me, the rims have the wrong offset for the trailer to me. I'm thinking of selling the three wheels and rims (No damage done yet thank god). and down sizing to 15" Sunrasias with tyres to suit the hilux so all rims and tyres are compatible. They seem to have a more suitable offset by memory, can anyone shed some light on if my memory serves me right or if anyone has some tips?
Thanks
Listo

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
Re: Rims
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 07:55:03 PM »
Sunnies generally run a bigger offset than standard so they will give you more clearance on the inside providing you run the same size tyre. Otherwise you can go a lot more than standard offset but they will hang out of the guards, depending on the model.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:39:55 PM »
Sunnies generally run a bigger offset than standard so they will give you more clearance on the inside providing you run the same size tyre.

I'll agree with this in what I've found, have an Arrow trailer with 15" sunnnies and have swapped them out and put them on the Bravo to run some miles of them before putting them aside and running Bravo rims (Bridgestone Desert Duellers) for all 6 rims on the ground,
the 15" tyres look good and would be good for sand, but are just inside the flares and maybee only just legal (load rating is ok), but they are only 2 ply on the wall and wouldn't trust them on a trip, the Duellers are 8 ply wall
thanks for the heads up , will now double check the inside clearance on the full travel on the trailer (even tho i just had 2 rims powdercoated to look good)

cheers
Garry

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
Thanks guys,
A work mate has four chrome hilux rims at home that are the same a what's on my hilux. I was going to check the off set on those and if all i good i'll buy them so i've got matching, interchangeable rims and spares. They won't go past the guard any i don't think, the rims that are on the trailer now are miles inside the guards.
Cheers
Listo

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:35:49 PM »
If you go with a smaller tyre your tent might be a bit saggy as the trailer will be lower, unless you go up a tyre size.

I've got 15" sunnies, painted up. They're a good bit of gear. I would like to fit 16" rims, but the guards won't accommodate it, nor the suspension setup.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 06:39:07 PM »
Never thought of that, thanks bigjules. I might try to get some spacers or something and just keep hold of the ones i have then
Listo