Author Topic: 2011 Cape York Members Trip  (Read 33901 times)

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
Re: 2011 Cape York Members Trip
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 08:43:08 PM »
McGirr, As Steve & Viv indicated, we would like to put our names down for this trip as well.  Love to meet up with some new friends, will be watching to see how things progress. :cheers:

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 08:59:37 PM »
Mark,

I have a stock 2005 Prado, sovereign bullbar, snorkel, BFG AT tyres, Std shocks, no lift.  I have to replace the front shocks at the next service. Is this vehicle as it stands up to doing the cape. Anything I should be thinking of in the way of enhancements?

Mal 

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 03:51:49 AM »
Provided your clutch holds together all you really need is good shockies and tyres.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Malcur

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 06:39:46 AM »
Provided your clutch holds together all you really need is good shockies and tyres.

It's an auto, so no clutch to worry about

Mal   ;D

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 06:56:51 AM »
I would be interested, what date do you think the trip would be finished? I want to be in Alice Springs on the 13th July that year, so providing I've got a few days after the finish date I would be very keen - have to see what my wife thinks of the idea, but Im sure she'll be keen too

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 07:29:10 AM »
I would be interested, what date do you think the trip would be finished? I want to be in Alice Springs on the 13th July that year, so providing I've got a few days after the finish date I would be very keen - have to see what my wife thinks of the idea, but Im sure she'll be keen too

As per the intinerary back in Cairns around the 10th July.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline keg

• Swag User
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »
Hi McGirr count me in for this as the last one was a bit rushed for my return due to the double crossing of the Simpson last year 2009 so this time I will get to enjoy the slower trip back to Cairns in 2011.
Keg :cheers:

Offline Karen

• 'Myswag Trip Queen'
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »
Hi McGirr count me in for this as the last one was a bit rushed for my return due to the double crossing of the Simpson last year 2009 so this time I will get to enjoy the slower trip back to Cairns in 2011.

You're a sucker for McGirr punishment aren't you Keg!?!?

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »

Karen

Stay on your side of the organisation fence. ;D

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline Karen

• 'Myswag Trip Queen'
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 03:32:35 PM »

Karen

Stay on your side of the organisation fence. ;D

Could I interest you in one of my latest trip coolers or stickers then...............................

Sorry, back on topic.  ;D

Offline keg

• Swag User
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 02:03:21 PM »
Hi Karen
Your trip was more than tempting but with only so much leave I need to make sure they don't over lap and I did enjoy Magoo's company as I did everyone that was away on Cape 09 trip.
I have to fit a 15 day cruise in before the gulf trip this year (hard life) and a few days with Annie and Peter mid year also so basically your trips missed out.
Chow

Offline bjf

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 10:00:43 PM »
We interested, just a matter of working it in.

Offline retired

• Tent User
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
You probably cant take a dog seeing as how you stay in National Parks?

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »
You probably cant take a dog seeing as how you stay in National Parks?

The rangers are strick about dogs if they catch you but iit depends on if they inspect the camp. Twin Falls is the only place you will have a problem.   

Offline retired

• Tent User
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »
Would I get all the way up there Ive got a diesel prado and Im pulling a Goldstream Storm camper.Ive pulled it through some pretty hairy places but I dont know what to really expect going up the Cape.Ive got recovery gear, a winch,slightly heavier springs and shocks and I am just about to put  some Bfg Ats on it

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »
Would I get all the way up there Ive got a diesel prado and Im pulling a Goldstream Storm camper.Ive pulled it through some pretty hairy places but I dont know what to really expect going up the Cape.Ive got recovery gear, a winch,slightly heavier springs and shocks and I am just about to put  some Bfg Ats on it

I cannot see a problem as taking it nice and slow should be ok. The OTL has a lot of crossings that change every year.
You can bypass certain tracks if you are unsure as when we head off when you talk to other travellers their opinion of tracks will always vary depending what they are used to.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Offline retired

• Tent User
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 03:02:58 PM »
Thanks McGirr,I wouldnt mind meeting some of the mob on this forum.Will check dates etc. and see if we can make it

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 03:49:17 PM »
Thanks McGirr,I wouldnt mind meeting some of the mob on this forum.Will check dates etc. and see if we can make it

Thats fine I will put you in the Party Animals group. ;D

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2010, 04:20:08 PM »
McGirr, if you could add John and myself to the Cape York trip please. We were pondering going this year but we felt it would be better going with others, particularly those who have done it before. Thanks. :cheers:
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2010, 05:49:11 PM »
McGirr, if you could add John and myself to the Cape York trip please. We were pondering going this year but we felt it would be better going with others, particularly those who have done it before. Thanks. :cheers:

As it is early days I will advise when we call for definite numbers around December 2010.

Mark

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »
McGirr - Thanks for referring me on to this section.

The My Swag group trip sounds brilliant to me. I mentioned it to the Missus and she wondered about the dog. My thoughts are put him in a kennel & pick him up on the way back.

Now to convince the Missus to delay the trip North to fit with My Swag.

Cheers - BB
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
BB

You are more than welcome to come on this trip. I will call for numbers around December. Most parties who went on the last trip would not have gone without being in a group.

Mark

Offline richo36

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2010, 06:40:16 PM »
Hello Mark
Could you add my hubby Greg and I to your tentative list as well as two friends in their own vehicle? We plan to do the Cape in Winter 2011 to celebrate my 50th so timing is perfect. We are novices however. Have purchased a custom built CT that has already done the Cape and Broome via Tanami Desert so we know the CT can do it. Cheers!
The Richos

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2010, 07:14:08 PM »
Hello Mark
Could you add my hubby Greg and I to your tentative list as well as two friends in their own vehicle? We plan to do the Cape in Winter 2011 to celebrate my 50th so timing is perfect. We are novices however. Have purchased a custom built CT that has already done the Cape and Broome via Tanami Desert so we know the CT can do it. Cheers!

Not a problem. As this is a members only trip we would need your friends to join up to the forum.

Mark

Offline idlegossip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2010, 11:26:31 PM »
Hi Mark,

Put us on the tentative list also. Kids have been keen as mustard to go for a while now, with my 6 year old constantly asking when are going to go. Now to work on the work front to make it happen.

Theo