Author Topic: Alcohol Restrictions at the Cape  (Read 3451 times)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Alcohol Restrictions at the Cape
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
I have attatched some links that will help people understand where the restrictions are: :cheers:

Bloomfieldhttp://www.atsip.qld.gov.au/government/programs-initiatives/alcohol-reforms/community-alcohol-limits/wujal-limits/

Bamaga and Seisahttp://www.atsip.qld.gov.au/government/programs-initiatives/alcohol-reforms/community-alcohol-limits/npa-limits/

'Bona fide' traveller exemptionA 'bona fide' traveller is someone who can prove they're passing through a community on their way to another destination (for example, driving along the Savannah Way to get to Doomadgee). You'll be allowed to drive on some roads (see below) and use some public facilities while carrying alcohol over the set limit if you can prove you're a 'bona fide' traveller.

But you must have got the alcohol at a place outside the restricted area.

As a 'bona fide' traveller, your vehicle may only stop:

to use a 'prescribed public facility' (currently only the Doomadgee Road-House and the Bloomfield Falls car park are 'prescribed public facilities')
if ordered by police
in an emergency
It's a good idea to carry some proof of your destination, such as a camping permit or accommodation booking receipt.

Rules that apply to all vehicles
Whether or not you're a bona fide traveller, you must make sure that alcohol is:

not removed from the vehicle
not visible from outside the vehicle
locked in the vehicle if unattended
Roads are part of the restricted area and you will only be able to carry alcohol on these roads if you can claim the bona fide traveller exemption.

Roads that are currently restricted areas are:

The Savannah Way (within Doomadgee shire)
Bloomfield Track, Douglas Street and Rossville-Bloomfield Road (within Wujal Wujal)
the road, within the community area of the Wujal Wujal Shire Council, directly connecting the road known as Douglas Street and the Bloomfield Falls (excluding the service road)
Portland Roads Road and Frenchmen's Road (within Lockhart River shire)
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline stepheng

• Tent User
Re: Alcohol Restrictions at the Cape
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
I have had a lot to do with these restrictions, and they vary between jurisdictions, however I  would advise at all times to not take alcohol into restricted areas. Even if there is a  bone fide clause, the individual that you may have to prove it to, may not accept your evidence.

I havent checked the penalty's for QLD but assume they are consistant with the NT, which means your vehicie can be confiscated (forever), plus the grog and a heafty fine. There is no real appel process other then going to court. I would urge caution as their is currently a climate of zero tolerance from the police and community members - for obvious reasons. Fortunantly the laws in QLD are State and not Federal,  like the NT - as in the NT is is a Federal offence and even more restrictive.

I havent checked the map but if there is a community,dont go through it if carrying grog.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »
Are you saying that the up holders of the law in QLD may not know that there are "bona fide" law  ??? Sure don't have that issue up here in the Kimberly where they know exactly what is allowed, we often have discussions with communities and the police regards to travelling through. I can't see why QLD would not be similar.

It makes sense to make sure it's not in sight and not brought out while in communities though however I would think enough people have traversed through these areas for locals to know what's right.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 10:22:15 AM »
I have travelled the Cape 3 times and have never been stopped regarding alcohol. Common sense prevails. Make sure it is hidden and you will not have a problem. The rules are there and it is up to each individual to decide to abide by them or not.

Regarding Bone fide travellers the rules are there also and again I have never been stopped.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline jaycamrie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 10:42:37 AM »
I have travelled the Cape 3 times and have never been stopped regarding alcohol. Common sense prevails. Make sure it is hidden and you will not have a problem. The rules are there and it is up to each individual to decide to abide by them or not.

Regarding Bone fide travellers the rules are there also and again I have never been stopped.

Mark

x2