Author Topic: Show us your bike (bicycle)  (Read 488867 times)

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Show us your bike (bicycle)
« Reply #1250 on: February 26, 2019, 05:34:58 AM »
Looks like Troy is off to a flier.

If you look to the list of names on the right of the page... you can filter the list of names by miles ridden. (just click on the little arrow above the distance, once puts them from least to most, twice lists them from most to least)

You'll see that Troy currently looks like he's 6th or thereabouts.

but if you click the little + beside each riders name, you'll see their details. Including which distance they're racing in.

Most in front of him are doing the shorter 350mile event, and one is even doing the 150mile "sprint".

He's currently leading the 1,000mile by around 20 miles over the next rider. But he's only a 101 miles in... and it's a long way to Nome...

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1251 on: February 26, 2019, 05:41:06 AM »
If you look to the list of names on the right of the page... you can filter the list of names by miles ridden. (just click on the little arrow above the distance, once puts them from least to most, twice lists them from most to least)

but if you click the little + beside each riders name, you'll see their details. Including which distance they're racing in.

Most in front of him are doing the shorter 350mile event, and one is even doing the 150mile "sprint".

He's currently leading the 1,000mile by around 20 miles over the next rider. But he's only a 101 miles in... and it's a long way to Nome...

Just the fact he did 100miles on a loaded fatbike in the snow in a day is a sobering thought - esp on day 1. Yes the site is a bit clunky on a phone but I got there. I have a few triathlete mates and their tracking sites are similar for Kona etc.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1252 on: February 26, 2019, 05:48:50 AM »
Just the fact he did 100miles on a loaded fatbike in the snow in a day is a sobering thought - esp on day 1. Yes the site is a bit clunky on a phone but I got there. I have a few triathlete mates and their tracking sites are similar for Kona etc.

and that new frame he's on is a prototype that he only received a day before he flew out.

In fact, due to an issue with his SRAM Eagle cassette, he couldn't even ride the bike until he got to Alaska. (we organised our friends at e*thirteen in California to ship one of their cassettes direct to his place in Alaska "overnight")

He sent me a "test ride" vid from out front of his place in Brisbane... no chain or cassette... so it looked like he was on the worlds biggest balance bike bwahahahahahahahahahaha (oh and the studded tyres make a hell of a racket on sealed roads)
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1253 on: February 26, 2019, 05:56:26 AM »
and that new frame he's on is a prototype that he only received a day before he flew out.

In fact, due to an issue with his SRAM Eagle cassette, he couldn't even ride the bike until he got to Alaska. (we organised our friends at e*thirteen in California to ship one of their cassettes direct to his place in Alaska "overnight")

He sent me a "test ride" vid from out front of his place in Brisbane... no chain or cassette... so it looked like he was on the worlds biggest balance bike bwahahahahahahahahahaha (oh and the studded tyres make a hell of a racket on sealed roads)
Wow. Must be worth the risk to cut it so fine. Glad it all worked out - I couldn’t imagine the feeling of being mechanicalled of an event like that before the start. I’ll bet there were some tense moments for you? Go area 54!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1254 on: February 26, 2019, 05:17:18 PM »
Some pics from Derby, amazing place, amazing riding, gravity is a biatch, need to go again! Sifting though 4 hours of GoPro footage, so it will be a while before I post videos.

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
The following users thanked this post: Foo, paceman, GBC

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1255 on: February 26, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »
Coming up to 2 years ago we were there... missed out on a job earlier this year in Launceston which was a bugger....

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1256 on: March 01, 2019, 06:50:43 AM »

In the lead but going by his times he was walking all day. Not fun.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1257 on: March 02, 2019, 06:43:18 AM »
Video from my recent Derby trip (not my video)
https://vimeo.com/320401158
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:58:38 AM by D4D »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
The following users thanked this post: Foo

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1258 on: March 02, 2019, 06:56:17 AM »
What a magic area for a ride D4D but you'd want to be competent in your abilities on the bike.  8)

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1259 on: March 02, 2019, 07:01:28 AM »
What a magic area for a ride D4D but you'd want to be competent in your abilities on the bike.  8)

It was an amazing area to ride. A number of times I was too busy looking at the scenery and almost came undone. I did walk the double black trails as I like my collar bones the way they are.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1260 on: March 02, 2019, 07:47:47 AM »
Looks like you guys would have been literally the next crew after a mob of blokes from Brissy I know. Getting tired of mtb vids without me in them  :'(

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1261 on: March 02, 2019, 08:03:32 AM »
Looks like you guys would have been literally the next crew after a mob of blokes from Brissy I know. Getting tired of mtb vids without me in them  :'(

Get down there, it is awesome. Depending on how much and what you ride, you do need a high level of fitness and technical ability. I wasn't used to the steepness and length of the trails, it took a while to get used to it. We were doing 30-40 klms a day, with some double black trails thrown in. Only way to do it is shuttles, otherwise you spend your time climbing up the hill getting passed by all the shuttle buses.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1262 on: March 02, 2019, 11:17:02 AM »
Expert help needed. I would like to get a bike for when we are travelling, I can't hang it on the back of the van or put it on the roof so  it has to fit in the back of the Mux. I'm about 5'6 " and 90 kg's, budget is under $500-00 (pensioner ) and I can't see myself doing anymore than very gentle terrain.
What I would like :-

Budget Max $500-00 (new or 2nd hand )

Folding but with largish wheels ( easier to pedal )

Internal gears (cleaner in car ? )

Maybe "step through frame " (I'm 72 and not super agile )

If not folding, quick release front and rear wheels (smaller space needed)

Puncture proof tyres, not fatties but something for bush tracks (gentle )

Maybe a basket for bread/milk/beer

A VERY comfortable seat to cushion my but and goolies

In the photo you can see where it will have to go, the 1/3 seat can be folded forward if need be

So what are your reccommendations ?

Cheers Keith

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:22:28 AM by xcvator »
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1263 on: March 02, 2019, 11:28:49 AM »
I'm very suss on folding bikes. Internal geared hub wheels aren't particularly cheap neither plus present a problem to work on yourself.  ;)

Foo

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1264 on: March 02, 2019, 11:31:57 AM »
Aldi folding bike. Comes with a bag and all. Every 2nd nomad has one. They look like they do the business. Internal hubs are heavy and expensive as foo said.

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1265 on: March 03, 2019, 09:39:10 AM »
Expert help needed. I would like to get a bike for when we are travelling, I can't hang it on the back of the van or put it on the roof so  it has to fit in the back of the Mux. I'm about 5'6 " and 90 kg's, budget is under $500-00 (pensioner ) and I can't see myself doing anymore than very gentle terrain.
What I would like :-

Budget Max $500-00 (new or 2nd hand )

Folding but with largish wheels ( easier to pedal )

Internal gears (cleaner in car ? )

<snip>

So what are your reccommendations ?

Cheers Keith

I am probably going to blow your budget -- but this is just food for thought and especially when you have asked for "easier to pedal", I would recommend a folding electric bike something like

Those images are from https://electricbikes.net.au/folding  I really don't know that vendor, but he was good to talk with..

To solve puncture issue, you could convert the tyres to tubless  --  That's what I did on a Electric fat bike which I have now covered over 830 klms since I purchased it, and have been down many bush and walking tracks and no issues -- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=55218.msg965352#msg965352

:cheers:

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1266 on: March 03, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »
I am probably going to blow your budget -- but this is just food for thought and especially when you have asked for "easier to pedal", I would recommend a folding electric bike something like

Those images are from https://electricbikes.net.au/folding  I really don't know that vendor, but he was good to talk with..

To solve puncture issue, you could convert the tyres to tubless  --  That's what I did on a Electric fat bike which I have now covered over 830 klms since I purchased it, and have been down many bush and walking tracks and no issues -- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=55218.msg965352#msg965352

:cheers:

Don't do that to me   

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #1268 on: March 06, 2019, 08:45:24 PM »
Which 1 to get ?
https://electricbikes.net.au/folding (+shipping)

or
https://www.bikeradar.com/au/commuting/gear/category/bikes/folding/product/crane-folding-e-bike-aldi-review-52440/  (walk in and pick it up )

How about this one foss  :-*
Yes before you tell me I’ll go and get taxidermied   ;D

1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #1269 on: March 07, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »
Which 1 to get ?
https://electricbikes.net.au/folding (+shipping)

or
https://www.bikeradar.com/au/commuting/gear/category/bikes/folding/product/crane-folding-e-bike-aldi-review-52440/  (walk in and pick it up )
Personally I'd wanna see and try before buying... you'd be pissed if it ends up not being what you wanted and never ended up using it.

but I agree with BD...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1270 on: March 07, 2019, 01:50:57 PM »

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #1271 on: March 07, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »
Based on the links the Aldi one is looking good with name brand parts.

I think the same plus its a lot easier wandering into any Aldi to do a warranty claim if required

HH

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1272 on: March 08, 2019, 07:29:32 AM »
Got home to find another personally signed book waiting for me.   8)

His list of Titles and Wins is unreal.  :cup:

Foo

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1273 on: March 10, 2019, 12:18:16 PM »
First night racing on the new track for me. Did well, no stacks. I had actually sold my race bike and was supposed to box it up and send it to Melbourne. The kids were in my ear about quitting and I really do enjoy racing. I would have ended up with a new bike down the track. Much to old mate's disappointment, I pulled out of the sale. Felt Shitty about doing it but at the end of the day it's my bike. Anyway, I'm sticking with racing.

2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1274 on: March 10, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »
First night racing on the new track for me. Did well, no stacks. I had actually sold my race bike and was supposed to box it up and send it to Melbourne. The kids were in my ear about quitting and I really do enjoy racing. I would have ended up with a new bike down the track. Much to old mate's disappointment, I pulled out of the sale. Felt Shitty about doing it but at the end of the day it's my bike. Anyway, I'm sticking with racing.

This is the most important part and also, you can pass on knowledge to the youngins if they are willing to listen.  :cup: I got back into Track Racing three years ago, after being away from it for 34yrs and I love the atmosphere and the buzz from it. Sadly I can't race at the level that I want to be at but I have a long term goal to work towards and when I can get my fitness back, I will, be a force to be reckoned with.  :cheers: Enjoy it for as long as you can and stuff anyone that tells you you are to old!  >:D

Foo