Author Topic: Wifi controlled lights  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Wifi controlled lights
« on: June 02, 2020, 02:52:21 PM »
Well not being the most computer savvy bloke I find some of the new technologies a bit daunting sometimes but I came across some LIFX globes that connect via your wifi and can be controlled by Siri, google and other apps.
The wife can now voice activate the bedroom, toilet and hall lights by simply asking Siri to turn them on or off or by switching them on or off via her iPhone. No big deal for the average person to turn lights on an off but when your hands don’t function properly sometimes the voice activation is a winner.
No more lights on all night. The globes are approx $20 each and worth considering for anyone with disabilities. They draw less than 0.5watt on standby.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Wifi controlled lights
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 03:59:07 PM »
Well not being the most computer savvy bloke I find some of the new technologies a bit daunting sometimes but I came across some LIFX globes that connect via your wifi and can be controlled by Siri, google and other apps.
The wife can now voice activate the bedroom, toilet and hall lights by simply asking Siri to turn them on or off or by switching them on or off via her iPhone. No big deal for the average person to turn lights on an off but when your hands don’t function properly sometimes the voice activation is a winner.
No more lights on all night. The globes are approx $20 each and worth considering for anyone with disabilities. They draw less than 0.5watt on standby.

A friend was telling me about these yesterday and I thought, whats the point? But looking from your perspective, I think it could be a great idea for people with mobility challenges  8)
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 04:02:12 PM »

excellent result...

how do you activate them via Siri?  using an apple homepod?

and which model bulb did you get? 

i'll be interested in this type of thing for my parents...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:05:18 PM by paceman »

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 04:07:48 PM »
excellent result...

how do you activate them via Siri?  using the apple homepod?
Set up on the Apple Home app on our iPhone and iPads, connect thru wifi modem as we don’t have a HomePod, google Nest or anything similar. To activate simple as Hey Siri turn on the bedroom light.
Hey Siri turn on the lights, will activate all three.

If we want to use the dimmer mode or any of their lights with colour change you need a pod, nest or home etc.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:10:21 PM by Pottsy »
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 10:05:17 PM »
My lights have got a remote.....she's called Helen. I say dear, can you turn on the light and bingo....it comes on !!    ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 06:25:11 PM »
We’ve got the Lifx lights in our lounge, dining, entrance and 2x lamps. We can use either Siri or Alexa. We love them. Very handy. We’ve a combination of colour LEDs as well as the dusk/dawn bulbs. Find we don’t use the colour options much but we love the dimming function e.g “Alexa, lounge light 20%”.

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 06:37:50 PM »
My lights have got a remote.....she's called Helen. I say dear, can you turn on the light and bingo....it comes on !!    ;D ;D
I had one like that. I'd say honey have you put on wieght? And bang...the lights go out.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 06:54:53 PM »
So first night of usage and the wife was very happy, got to do some research now and see if I can find some Fluro style led lights with the same feature.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 07:11:24 PM »
I had one like that. I'd say honey have you put on wieght? And bang...the lights go out.

Been married for near 40yrs......I know that's one thing you never mention to a female !!   8) 8)
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 07:23:30 PM »
Really? I wouldn't have known that.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 07:58:42 AM »

I think mine might be broken. All I seem to hear is "do it your ffn self"

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 04:15:06 PM »

Obviously old software.  Ever thought of upgrading?     :angel:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 04:59:18 PM »
We have a couple of wifi powerpoint things in the house. You plug them into the power point and then plug the appliance into them.

The one for the coffee machine gets the most use. It is programmed to be a timer, so the machine kicks in at 5.30 and turns off when we go to work, then on 15 minutes before we get home. Or use the app to turn it on when leaving work if she is coming home early.

I can also mess with her head and turn the thing remotely. Other side of the world and turning the machine on and waking up the house with the pump running at 2am?
No problem >:D.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 05:07:20 PM »
Obviously old software.  Ever thought of upgrading?     :angel:

I think you mean hardware so no upgrades available.

Too much of a tech retard to have anything newer anyway  ;D