Author Topic: Question for the servicemen amongst Myswag  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Beatle

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Devil's Advocate
Re: Question for the servicemen amongst Myswag
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »
Rub it in mate, I was/am one of the silly ones that changed.....:-(

I changed to MSBS, and sooo much the better for it too. But it depends on how many years you serve.
***The words typed in my messages do not necessarily reflect the personally held views of the author***

Beatle
'97 80 series Landcruiser

Offline chookduck

• Tent User
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 08:15:05 AM »
Well us 'Blue Orchids' better sort this mess out - again.  If you go to Army's website at http://www.army.gov.au/Who-we-are you will note the term used in both the rising sun badge and in the description of 'who we are' is The Australian Army , no Royal prefix.

Beatle is correct in saying that some of Army's Corps use the prefix Royal as seen here http://www.army.gov.au/Who-we-are/Corps

Anyway, in the long and the short and the tall, all ships and landbased units are simply targets for air power anyway.  Basically you treat them as stationary targets with a small amount of drift. ha ha.
1994 Landcruiser RV 80 and 2014 Ultimate Xplor, previously a Trak Shak Midway

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
Gee i hope it is more than 5% cause if so that is rubbish
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Beatle

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »
Gee i hope it is more than 5% cause if so that is rubbish

You simply cannot compare normal Super and Military Superannuation.  They are completely different, calculated different, administered different, paid out different, different acts of Parliament.  For example, take a look at the death benefit component of the military super scheme.   Then there's the fact that when you retire, the portion of super you decide to take as a pension never runs out (live to 150yo they keep paying).  If you have dependents, portions of the benefit roll over to them.

Believe me, Military (uniforms) Super probably rates second only to politicians super package. 

Similarly, when looking at Defence (uniforms) salaries, and they are published in the public domain, you need to consider a whole range of benefits as well as the actual pay packet.

Now, remind me again why I got out........... ??? ;D
***The words typed in my messages do not necessarily reflect the personally held views of the author***

Beatle
'97 80 series Landcruiser

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
Just retired from CPS 3 months ago. SSFS are my financial advisors and also I have money invested with them.  They are in fact owned by the NSW State Govt and therefore do not charge outrageous fees. They are consultants to Commonwealth schemes and they are well worth talking to.  Did my retirement plan for free and review your strategy every 12 months as part of the service.

Good luck to you sone - sounds like he will get some good advice.

I have just left defence and they have a private firm of financial advisors under contract to give free advice to all defence personnel, uniformed and civilian, State Super Financial Services SSFS.  I was a business manager and used them a lot .
PM me if you want to know more.

Trevor

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
Achjimmy,
 I hope your young bloke enjoys his service. We have a young bloke who went away to kapooka 2  n 1/2 years ago, a kid that only ever wanted to serve but lacking drive otherwise. Did his training there , and  had his passing out parade which was a proud day for family,moved onto Albury way for more training and is now based at Brisbane. The Army has been good for him giving him a bit of drive  [and a little money in the pocket to buy a 4x4].  He was a kid [19] when he went away and now is maturering into a fine young man. He has gained a ticket or 2 along the way that will be useful in civilllian employment. The service men and women  of Aust certainly don't do it for the money , but for the love of serving.
02 SR5 is right in his line that he will  probably  get drunk [tick]get tattoo [tick] xbox [tick] big tv [tick] new 4x4 [tick] and I hope he is investing in protection as I am sure that he can't keep it in his pants.
I hope that your young bloke enjoys his journey and we say thanks to him and all the others currently serving or before them.