Author Topic: Car Sales & Scams  (Read 11458 times)

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
Car Sales & Scams
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »
Seems some scammers didnt like my little disclaimer on carsales and reported me  :cheers:  carsales have made me edit my add to remove reference to "scams' or "fraud" little touchy me thinks.

FYI this is what i wrote

PLEASE NOTE I WILL NOT BE ACEPTING PAYMENT FOR THIS THROUGH PAYPAL, WESTERN UNION OR ANY OTHER SUCH SCAM. I WILL NOT DEPOSIT ANY MONIES IN ANY ACCOUNT FOR THE SALE OF THIS CAR. Genuine enquiries only please?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Car Sales & Scams
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »
mate usually puts
if your working on an oil rig, out in the ocean and will get an agent to come and pick it up, save both of us the time and drown

edit: that's on ebay
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »
Seems some scammers didnt like my little disclaimer on carsales and reported me  :cheers:  carsales have made me edit my add to remove reference to "scams' or "fraud" little touchy me thinks.

FYI this is what i wrote

PLEASE NOTE I WILL NOT BE ACEPTING PAYMENT FOR THIS THROUGH PAYPAL, WESTERN UNION OR ANY OTHER SUCH SCAM. I WILL NOT DEPOSIT ANY MONIES IN ANY ACCOUNT FOR THE SALE OF THIS CAR. Genuine enquiries only please?
Western Union is frequently used by scammers, as there is no way of tracking the payments.
In my experience, as a purchaser, PayPal is legit.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
Car Sales & Scams
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »
Can't believe you were asked to remove it, must not like to advertise that their product is vulnerable to scams...

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:58:55 PM »
In my experience, as a purchaser, PayPal is legit.

That's what I thought Barry, until a colleague told me how a bank account he and his wife had for one of their kids was allegedly hacked somehow via Paypal, and the inordinate trouble he had to go to  get reimbursed.  One of the early requirements from the organisation was that his 3 year old son write Pay Pal a letter setting out his grievance!

That the child was only three and couldn't write held no sway, initially. In the end the services of the Ombudsman were required.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:25:33 PM »
I generally don't have a problem with PayPal, I more referenced it as its often quoted as a method of payment by the scammers. Basically I am just trying to let the con artists know  to $&@? Off and leave me alone.

Jim

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Burning desire to camp.....
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 03:29:44 PM »
Carsales just covering their ass as you said ".......THROUGH PAYPAL, WESTERN UNION OR ANY OTHER SUCH SCAM.
This could be construed as carsales endorsing paypal & western union being scams, when in fact paypal & western union are merely used by scammers.....

:cheers:

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
Rather than start a new thread I am re-activating this one, as it's title is spot on.
The Squeeze has decided to sell her 06 Hyundai SantaFe.
Has been on-line for less than 24 hours and she is really happy, in that she has got the price she wants.
Purchaser is to pay the money into her account with one of the big banks.
She rang the bank and they advised that there is no way he can withdraw money from her account, so she has given him her account details.
She is to notify him as soon as the money appears in her account and he will send the courier to pick up the car...
He lives in Darwin...
He works in the oil industry in NZ...

I said it sounds like a scam to me. Squeeze asked "How?" Not an unreasonable question, but I don't know the answer, other than Darwin... Courier... NZ oil industry = BINGO! 
Can anyone explain this for me / us???
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:51 PM »
l can ,, send me $ mucho via Western Union for full disclosure  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
It's the beginning of the hook.  They are fishing for your info / ID and build up a new you.

Unless you meet the person it's normally a scam. Let's face it, there is a glut of cars for sale so unless it's rare and collectable buying sight unseen from miles away raises suspicion.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »
Interesting question Barry - I'm not 100% sure how they could scam you if what they say is legit. They may come back with banking 'difficulties' and then change their tact thinking they have hooked a keen seller. If they can build a rapport with your other half they may think they can scam her down the track.

One scam I'm aware of was the sale of a product overseas. Seller receives an email from Paypal confirming payment from buyer for incorrect amount. Buyer contacts the seller (a local) advising they 'stuffed' up the exchange rate. Tells the seller to reimburse them via Western Union the whole amount and then they'll resend the correct payment.

Seller does this and then speaks to the authorities who tell her to double check Paypal and stop any withdrawals if possible. Sellers then realises that the original Paypal email informing them of the original payment from the buyer was bogus. When the Paypal account is checked no funds have been deposited. The seller just gave away $XXXX to someone somewhere in the world....

Short answer - no idea  ;D

Tim

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »
It's the beginning of the hook.  They are fishing for your info / ID and build up a new you.

Unless you meet the person it's normally a scam. Let's face it, there is a glut of cars for sale so unless it's rare and collectable buying sight unseen from miles away raises suspicion.

Agreed, surly there would be something similar in Darwin. It's just a family car
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:17:13 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 08:31:15 PM »
Yep be doubly careful.  I am not sure it's not that hard from bank details. Recently after destroying my 85 yo mums CC because the charities were fleecing her. I was horrified to find that the PCYC had rung and set up an automatic debit over the phone!  I contacted them and got it revoked (and they were fairly sheepish) and then went to the bank to ask how with out signing anything and how I can block it,  they said nothing can be done and if she gives out the details and leaves a voice recorded approval transcript it can be arranged remotely?

So I'd be having another chat with the bank.

Jim

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
This just popped up on my facebook feed. Sounds familiar. I mean seriously, Ïnternet messaging facility"What oil rig worker says that. Idiots

Hi all,

& yet another scumbag trolling the camper trader page.....

Thanks for getting back,i'm cool with the price likewise the condition as described on the advert,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the moment and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal linked up with my westpac bank account,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb acct name and number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct. mariaclintonmariaclinton@hotmail.com

Pays to be on guard at all times

happy camping

Offline DropBearRacing

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 09:13:58 PM »
Yep be doubly careful.  I am not sure it's not that hard from bank details. Recently after destroying my 85 yo mums CC because the charities were fleecing her. I was horrified to find that the PCYC had rung and set up an automatic debit over the phone!  I contacted them and got it revoked (and they were fairly sheepish) and then went to the bank to ask how with out signing anything and how I can block it,  they said nothing can be done and if she gives out the details and leaves a voice recorded approval transcript it can be arranged remotely?

So I'd be having another chat with the bank.

The charities love the elderly, they pray on their good nature.  The wife's grandmother was getting letters, phone calls and door knockers all representing charities asking for her by name 12 months after she passed away.  You would tell them that she had passed they wouldn't even take a breath before trying to get us to take over her donations.  I don't mind giving to certain charities but I thought they were going a bit far.
The Bear made me do it!!

scarpsD40

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 09:28:16 PM »

This just popped up on my facebook feed. Sounds familiar. I mean seriously, Ïnternet messaging facility"What oil rig worker says that. Idiots

Hi all,

Thanks for getting back,i'm cool with the price likewise the condition as described on the advert,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the moment and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal linked up with my westpac bank account,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb acct name and number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct. mariaclintonmariaclinton@hotmail.com

happy camping
have I got a deal for you then....Can I interest you in a Jeep:-)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 09:31:05 PM »
Lol. Yeah yeah, I'm in for a deal from you. Lol

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 10:03:02 PM »
l can ,, send me $ mucho via Western Union for full disclosure  :cheers:
Jamie, if you had just asked for a slab of VB you might have hooked me. ;D

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 10:08:16 PM »

Hi all,

happy camping
Oldmate, were you selling a CT?
Otherwise why would you do anything but ignore it?
Interestingly, virtually word for word of the message the Squeeze received, only the e-mail addresses differed.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 05:58:25 AM »
Oldmate, were you selling a CT? 
No, I said it came up on my facebook feed ( from a group I am in, I guess someone else was selling one though)

Otherwise why would you do anything but ignore it?

I am sure they did, but just posted it for general information for the group.

Interestingly, virtually word for word of the message the Squeeze received, only the e-mail addresses differed.

That's the reason I posted it here. I saw the similarities.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 06:25:32 AM »
End of 2014 Sale  Fair Dinkum  Clear Out

After much thought l must part ways with my much loved pets of many years  . Sadly l have decided to sell off , only to a good home for a minimal investment  . Homing Pidgins , faithful & loving Pets . Something the whole family can watch fly away  . Send of $ quickly as they wont last .

Or they will be back for quick sale in a week or 2  . Put your name on the list now to arrange disappointment

You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 10:08:12 AM »
I don't get it.
Ask yourself this question: Are you going to buy a car/CT unseen?
If your answer is no, then you can assume that if someone else is doing this, it must be a scam.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »
ITS A SCAM DONT DO IT...they are just getting some info on you, they will accidently transfer too much money into your account and ask you to repay it and when you do that's when they get you..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 12:27:17 PM »
Its real simple even if they are sending an agent unless someone turns up with a bank check and ID that I will be scanning before you leave then you aint getting the goods
I Drink & I Know Things