Author Topic: Dialysis and camping  (Read 2241 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Dialysis and camping
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:29:19 PM »
Hi all, Yes I understand this is a personal thing and you may not want to share . Thanks in advance for any info ..
I have a mate that has just started Dialysis treatments at hospital over the last month and is a bit low ATM ..
Sitting with him and talking about traveling / camping, He thinks its out of the question as the unit he gets hooked up to is a fair monster of a thing /  needing hospitals etc ..
Have looked up The peritoneal type flushing dialysis as a maybe a better option and sent the info to him . I have a feeling this type of dialysis wasnt explained to him very well .
Are there any Swaggers that have / know of that travel,  have recommendations etc about traveling and dialysis while touring / camping, that may like to share, generalities of experiences .  Thanks again in advance .
Found one story of a lady that had a modded  track van for Hemodialysis that I sent him .

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:35:52 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline jayjay

• Tent User
Re: Dialysis and camping
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:00:15 AM »
Hi Edz,
Such a life-altering event........
Try the Big Red Kidney Bus as an option- not quite camping, but opens the door to realistic holiday options.
https://kidney.org.au/bus
All the best to your friend.
Mitsubishi Challenger
Rearfold Safari Trackabout
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 09:36:19 AM »
I’m sure things have changed since my Grandfather was on dialysis 20 years ago, but he needed to go on the machine at the hospital Mondays, Wednesday & Fridays for a minimum of 5 hours and he needed the day in-between to recover as said he felt physically drained after treatment.

He did do a couple of short holidays, (max 1 hour from home) but it was always near a hospital which had dialysis and had to book treatment times in advance.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
Not much changed BM O'l mate does, Monday, Wednesday and  Friday for about 4 hrs each visit, reckons he feels pretty good after the visits .. 

Offline JamesMac

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 12:29:01 PM »
One of my relatives lived in a caravan for years on the overnight dialysis setup. He had all the kit in his van to run it himself. The only thing was that he needed 240v power to the van to run it.
If this is equivalent to your mate's situation I can chase up some more of the details (Sorry, I'm a bit ignorant on the different dialysis requirements)
JM
2017 MU-X LSU, 2018 Camprite TL8s (the last one!)

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »
Another option may be to arrange dialysis at different hospitals/clinics.  There are some in remote Australia due to high need in those areas.  Having a chat to the healthcare workers may help.

This site may help https://kidney.org.au/your-kidneys/support/dialysis/dialysis-and-travel

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 04:45:42 PM »
A guy in a van next to me had to go on dialysis. He had to install water filters to purify the water used. He had boxes of products that he had to keep cool. He had to transport the unit back and forth when he used his van. This was from an onsite van. Don't know how it would go for travelling around though.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 07:41:51 PM »
Used to be able to get the bags of solution from a company named Baxter.
They would home deliver as many bags as he needed.
My step father did home dialysis for 4 maybe 5 years this way. Never had to go to a hospital or hook up to a machine. Just an iv pole.
He still went camping whenever he wanted, he just needed a bit more storage room for however many bags of solution he needed.
I don’t know if it is still available.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »
Mate it appears that not only are they still in business but they are now here in Australia as well.
http://www.baxterhealthcare.com.au/patients_and_caregivers/areas_of_expertise/renal/treatment_options.html
Good luck to your Mate...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »
Thanks Bill, That sounds like a Peritoneal type of set up Ive just  read up on .. I guess it will be what ever his Doc will advise him is best for him in the end .

Least this way he might see a way forwards other than tied to a Hospital three days a week ..  :cheers:

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »
Thanks Bill, That sounds like a Peritoneal type of set up Ive just  read up on .. I guess it will be what ever his Doc will advise him is best for him in the end .

Least this way he might see a way forwards other than tied to a Hospital three days a week ..  :cheers:
Every little bit of hope helps my friend...
Bill
-unknown