Author Topic: Chickens at home  (Read 68356 times)

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Chickens at home
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2015, 08:04:55 PM »
After a few years of thinking and going to, I finally found some time and a lull in kids sport!

While I had a few building materials in stock, in the end I went with one of these,

http://www.ezysales.com.au/p/large-chicken-coop-rabbit-hutch-ferret-cage-hen-ch/CH009_H

It came together nice and square, not sure about the life span though. The girls are in and sleeping, one on the ground and one in the roost, I'll put up some pics tomorrow

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
Looks great, upgraded the nesting box material in readiness for some eggs today, they better lay soon. Also had some spare grass rolls left over at work the other day so rolled them out in the run as well, will see how it goes. Also got some new food today that has the highest protein count to trick there metabolism and make them lay

GG

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »
Ours have been off the lay over winter, they're just starting to prod use again. They're getting on a bit so wasn't expecting much but we've had 5 in 6 days
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2015, 01:18:18 PM »
Along the lines of Muzza's feeders, we use these for waterers. The curved bottom ones are the better of the 2, and are much easier to clean out. Because I already had some 90mm stormwater pipe they cost less than $10 each. Gotta make sure the joints are all airtight or they won't work, the water will drain out.

4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2015, 04:40:38 PM »
One of my chickens has finally done its job. Lucky for them as its Declans birthday on Saturday and the spit roast was coming out

GG

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2015, 08:45:25 AM »
I have been watching this thread and we are thinking of going down the chicken as pets line. Most likely 2.

The water and feed stations that have been built look great  :cup:. I was just wondering about how long can you leave the chooks when you go away?

I get the eggs need to be collected regularly, but could they last a week or so with the food and water setup you guys have used.

With no family within 1000km we could get the neighbors to grab the eggs but I would feel bad asking them to clean out the coop etc.
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »
I have been watching this thread and we are thinking of going down the chicken as pets line. Most likely 2.

The water and feed stations that have been built look great  :cup:. I was just wondering about how long can you leave the chooks when you go away?

I get the eggs need to be collected regularly, but could they last a week or so with the food and water setup you guys have used.

With no family within 1000km we could get the neighbors to grab the eggs but I would feel bad asking them to clean out the coop etc.

Food and water are your biggest issue. If you're getting neighbours to check eggs it's not much more effort to check water and feed. We use a large  cone style commercial feeder that holds 15kg of food. We can do two weeks without worrying. But our neighbours just top up as needed. Feed lives in a big bin with lid by the coop door when we are away.

I wouldn't worry about cleaning the coop for 2-3 weeks but ours have a 4mx6m run
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2015, 08:18:32 AM »
Same with us. Although our waterers and food container could easily last a week, we always get a neighbour to check them at least a couple of times during that week, just in case. Neighbours are usually pretty happy getting free eggs too for their effort. We also tell them to help themselves to any veggies from the garden that are in season as well.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »
Food and water are your biggest issue. If you're getting neighbours to check eggs it's not much more effort to check water and feed. We use a large  cone style commercial feeder that holds 15kg of food. We can do two weeks without worrying. But our neighbours just top up as needed. Feed lives in a big bin with lid by the coop door when we are away.
I wouldn't worry about cleaning the coop for 2-3 weeks but ours have a 4mx6m run

Same with us. Although our waterers and food container could easily last a week, we always get a neighbour to check them at least a couple of times during that week, just in case. Neighbours are usually pretty happy getting free eggs too for their effort. We also tell them to help themselves to any veggies from the garden that are in season as well.

Thanks guys will look onto it more
2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »
OK, made up these chicken watering feeders about a month ago.  I thought I would give them a good trial before reviewing.  I made these out of 100mm and 50mm PVC.  It is a pretty basic setup, length of 100mm, end cap for 100mm, 100mm/50mm T section, small lengths of 50mm, 50mm end caps and of course the chicken nipples.

I mounted them with 100mm standout brackets and used a bit of rubber anti-slip as these hold about 10 liters each so when full of water these things weigh about 11 kgs.

The chickens are using the nipples OK, sometimes the nipples leak a little bit after a chicken has been drinking but the leak rate is very very minor.  We check the water every few days and the 11 chickens drink about 1-2 litres out of each container over that period.  Temps here are around 20-30 degrees ATM.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
My chickens got a little stressed on Saturday, we had the Auspit going over the open fire in the paddock adjacent their run with 4 chooks going round and round.

Still only have one layer at the moment out of the four, getting one egg a day

GG

scarpsD40

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »

GG
Put a large screen tv in their roost with episodes of the batchelor. That'll get them laying. Or so I'm told;D

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2015, 06:23:40 PM »
Put a large screen tv in their roost with episodes of the batchelor. That'll get them laying. Or so I'm told;D
I have a large screen tele in my bedroom, hasnt helped me too much in the laying.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2015, 06:24:19 PM »
I have a large screen tele in my bedroom, hasnt helped me too much in the laying.

Might have to change channels  >:D or hens  ;D

GG

scarpsD40

Chickens at home
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2015, 06:26:37 PM »
Might have to change channels  >:D or hens  ;D

GG
yep, there's a new forum thread right there, what tv shows makes your hens lay? Anything but politics.......
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:14:41 PM by scarpsD40 »

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »
My chickens got a little stressed on Saturday, we had the Auspit going over the open fire in the paddock adjacent their run with 4 chooks going round and round.

GG
Maybe 3 of em are red roosters
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »
Chickens are go. 4 eggs per day so they are all underway. Kids are happy and the cake rations have gone up so we can use them up

GG

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2015, 06:47:11 PM »
Now all you need is some pigs and the next Farkaway meet will have fresh breakfast :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2015, 07:22:27 PM »
Now all you need is some pigs and the next Farkaway meet will have fresh breakfast :)

There is a story to go with it and it will come in the trip report when I get some time to put it all together

GG

scarpsD40

« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2015, 08:12:44 PM »
Think my chickens may have flown the coup, so to say

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »
Chickens are go. 4 eggs per day so they are all underway. Kids are happy and the cake rations have gone up so we can use them up

GG
Get yourself a duck. I just checked her pen for eggs today, and because I have been a bit busy and haven't checked since last weekend there were 10 duck eggs in the nesting box. She's been pulling double shifts on at least a few days. Must be all the grubs she's been eating form the garden beds I just pulled out and rebuilt.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2015, 08:48:12 AM »
Back home after two weeks away to find ZERO eggs from our two ladies.  Turns out our neighbours have been fighting over the eggs whilst we were away (all in a good natured friendly way)...   Long story short, we ask them to 'keep an eye on the chickens' and keep any eggs you find. Apparently the 3 of them have all been checking 2-3 times a day.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »
Finally finished the coupe a bit over a week ago.
In with 6 new chickens today.
Turned out my niece and her husband breeds chickens!!
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2016, 04:51:14 PM »
A bit of an update, 4 chickens are still all doing great. 3-4 eggs per day and the Taj is keeping them nice and safe.

Upgraded the feeder as we were feeding all the local birds to a security version which they need to step on to feed which has worked great- http://www.chooktred.com.au/Chooktred/Welcome.html

Hope all other chooks are still laying

GG