Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 678378 times)

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #2125 on: May 27, 2017, 08:40:14 AM »
Just when I thought the Mavic was small they have released the Spark

I saw that! It looks like a great little unit, though I haven't dared to check the price tag...
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2126 on: May 27, 2017, 09:32:31 AM »
I saw that! It looks like a great little unit, though I haven't dared to check the price tag...

You can get it for $777 at the moment, although the fly more package at $1096 would probably be one to go for.

https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/dji-drones-osmo/dji-spark/dji-spark-white

https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/dji-spark-drone-combo

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #2127 on: May 28, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
You can get it for $777 at the moment, although the fly more package at $1096 would probably be one to go for.

https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/dji-drones-osmo/dji-spark/dji-spark-white

https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/dji-spark-drone-combo

Hmm, if I'd known that earlier I would have been tempted!
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #2128 on: May 28, 2017, 09:27:02 AM »
This is interesting. Hope it hasn't already been posted, but from a quick look, I didn't see it.
https://www.casa.gov.au/droneapp

Actually, having a look at the online version, there sure are a lot of restrictions out our way.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2129 on: May 28, 2017, 10:05:50 AM »
The GoPro Karma looks interesting...

http://shop.gopro.com/APAC/karma?gclid=Cj0KEQjwx6TJBRCWtsiXpI7bhOYBEiQA1en3F95jtEhEwHB4VAsul9YX8YF8SEK3AnuISmso00AmWX4aAsII8P8HAQ&dclid=CMr5t5-lkdQCFQcjvQodSiUO5g

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #2130 on: May 29, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
This is interesting. Hope it hasn't already been posted, but from a quick look, I didn't see it.
https://www.casa.gov.au/droneapp

Actually, having a look at the online version, there sure are a lot of restrictions out our way.

I had zero idea that there was an app but was aware of a lot of the restrictions. Actually just downloaded the app, its kind of awesome. Thanks for sharing! :D

Another one travellers may not not about is the South Australia National Parks - ALL OF THEM. Disturbance to wildlife they reckon... Not negotiable unless you pay some hefty commercial filming licence.

So for the Simpson trip we'll only be flying the drone on the QLD side of the border! Ah well.

Sometimes the drone footage I see on Instagram really surprises me. Not "illegal", just perhaps a little foolish... Like a couple perched right on the edge of The Balconies in the Grampians NP flying the drone away from them waving at it. Then again, I don't like the idea of people sitting there at all... one day its gunna fall, surely, with all the foot traffic it gets for Insta-worthy photos! Maybe I'm just a little over cautions, who knows... LOL.

The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2131 on: May 29, 2017, 10:47:29 AM »
The GoPro Karma looks interesting...
http://shop.gopro.com/APAC/karma?gclid=Cj0KEQjwx6TJBRCWtsiXpI7bhOYBEiQA1en3F95jtEhEwHB4VAsul9YX8YF8SEK3AnuISmso00AmWX4aAsII8P8HAQ&dclid=CMr5t5-lkdQCFQcjvQodSiUO5g

Yeah, it's interesting, it doesn't fare too well in comparison to the Mavic in every review that I have seen though. Interestingly GoPro released the Karma and it was really well received, then DJI released the Mavic very shortly afterwards and is quite similar but does most things they do better and GoPros share price dropped 6% straight away as a result. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:52:23 AM by tryagain »

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2132 on: May 29, 2017, 11:25:51 AM »
Yeah, it's interesting, it doesn't fare too well in comparison to the Mavic in every review that I have seen though. Interestingly GoPro released the Karma and it was really well received, then DJI released the Mavic very shortly afterwards and is quite similar but does most things they do better and GoPros share price dropped 6% straight away as a result.
I hadn't really read any side by side reviews as yet...

I've been vetoed from buying an expensive (over $500 according to her) drone anyway, so looking at a kit drone I can buy in components gradually, but not really sure where to start

2013 Amarok Highline

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #2133 on: May 29, 2017, 01:07:16 PM »
Just when I thought the Mavic was small they have released the Spark

Crikey...!!  That looks pretty good...!  The price is awesome and the camera quality is up there.  For most of what I would want to do its a serious contender.  I still like the portability of the Mavic though and its camera is pretty awesome.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2134 on: May 29, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
I hadn't really read any side by side reviews as yet...

I've been vetoed from buying an expensive (over $500 according to her) drone anyway, so looking at a kit drone I can buy in components gradually, but not really sure where to start

If you don't have a big trip etc planned that you especially want one for I'd just wait, Drone prices and sizes, are coming down and their features improving at a pretty remarkable rate.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #2135 on: May 29, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »
Crikey...!!  That looks pretty good...!  The price is awesome and the camera quality is up there.  For most of what I would want to do its a serious contender.  I still like the portability of the Mavic though and its camera is pretty awesome.

A Spark that folds like a Mavic would be awesome...

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2136 on: May 29, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »
If you don't have a big trip etc planned that you especially want one for I'd just wait, Drone prices and sizes, are coming down and their features improving at a pretty remarkable rate.
We're about to build a house, so would like to get aerial footage of the build...

Might just borrow a mates from time to time

2013 Amarok Highline

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2137 on: May 29, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »
We're about to build a house, so would like to get aerial footage of the build...

Might just borrow a mates from time to time

I have seen both some drone footage and some time-lapse of some new commercial builds, for my money the time-lapse left the drone footage for dead, If I had access to a mates drone I'd borrow that as well but if I wanted a cool memento of the build I'd look into trying to stick a cheap time-lapse camera into a nearby tree etc to capture the build.

A Spark that folds like a Mavic would be awesome...

There probably will be in the not too distant future, there is evidence that the spark has been deliberately held back a little probably part in keeping the cost down but also I think partly to differentiate it enough to not compete with the mavic, the camera in the spark, for example, is apparently capable of 4k but they have kept it only to 1080. I think if the spark could do 4k and folded

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #2138 on: May 30, 2017, 07:15:34 AM »
I have seen both some drone footage and some time-lapse of some new commercial builds, for my money the time-lapse left the drone footage for dead, If I had access to a mates drone I'd borrow that as well but if I wanted a cool memento of the build I'd look into trying to stick a cheap time-lapse camera into a nearby tree etc to capture the build.

There probably will be in the not too distant future, there is evidence that the spark has been deliberately held back a little probably part in keeping the cost down but also I think partly to differentiate it enough to not compete with the mavic, the camera in the spark, for example, is apparently capable of 4k but they have kept it only to 1080. I think if the spark could do 4k and folded

I know nothing about time lapse stuff. But I agree that the time lapse footage of builds is SO much more impressive. And now you've given me an idea for when we do major renos to our place! LOL!

A Mavic-in-a-Spark-body (folding, awesome camera) would be amazing. And MAY just make me upgrade in the future!

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #2139 on: May 30, 2017, 07:43:59 AM »
We do a lot of time lapse as well as drone, a mix is good. Some of our cameras are up for 18 months some time during a project, here is a quick one for a crane erection

https://youtu.be/Ln9i49xl0-M

GG

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #2140 on: May 30, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
We do a lot of time lapse as well as drone, a mix is good. Some of our cameras are up for 18 months some time during a project, here is a quick one for a crane erection

https://youtu.be/Ln9i49xl0-M

GG

Off topic for the thread, but could you recommend a cheap camera for this purpose or anywhere I could find out more about the time lapse stuff?

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #2141 on: May 30, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »
Off topic for the thread, but could you recommend a cheap camera for this purpose or anywhere I could find out more about the time lapse stuff?

Pretty sure this is the one that shot the crane

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172183972730

GG

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2142 on: June 07, 2017, 08:11:01 PM »
Anyone looking at buying a quad, the Mavic Pro fly more package is a cracking deal for the next hour for only $949 here in eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112433958204?_trkparms=%26clkid%3D5197265183554409914 use the code C5OZ to get the additional $50 off

edit, all 300 sold within about 10mins, that was a crazy good deal.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:18:13 PM by tryagain »

Offline suby

• Swag User
« Reply #2143 on: June 07, 2017, 11:34:49 PM »

If you have some computer skills, the raspberry pi  3 has built in wifi, usb, and has a camera option https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/camera-module/ . You can pick up packs with a pi 3, charger and case relatively at low cost. Another option is to use an old mobile phone with software capable of doing time laps...

Steve.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #2144 on: June 11, 2017, 06:01:08 PM »
Anyone chasing 3DR solo batteries , Gimbals and other accessories as well as great priced 3Dr Solo drones there is a sale at Harvey Norman .

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/3dr-solo-aerial-smart-drone.html
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #2146 on: July 19, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
Here's another question for the drone nerds. ;)

I'm CONSIDERING the idea of building a hexacopter after *cough* some issues with my DJI P3S.  >:(

Recommendations for build kits, cameras for them, etc. that won't cost the earth?

Or alternatively, good but not horribly expensive hexacopter that isn't a DJI...? Just want to know what my options are if I do go down that path. Started doing some reading but got a bit overwhelmed pretty quick. Haha.

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2147 on: July 25, 2017, 11:33:03 PM »
http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2017/07/25/no-more-drones-snapper-rocks

CASA have spoken...  No more drones at Snapper Rocks and others...

A map is in the article.

McT
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2148 on: July 26, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
Here's another question for the drone nerds. ;)

I'm CONSIDERING the idea of building a hexacopter after *cough* some issues with my DJI P3S.  >:(

Recommendations for build kits, cameras for them, etc. that won't cost the earth?

Or alternatively, good but not horribly expensive hexacopter that isn't a DJI...? Just want to know what my options are if I do go down that path. Started doing some reading but got a bit overwhelmed pretty quick. Haha.
I've been looking at the Xiaomi Mi Drone 4K recently... Looks the business, for a pretty decent price

2013 Amarok Highline

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #2149 on: July 26, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2017/07/25/no-more-drones-snapper-rocks

CASA have spoken...  No more drones at Snapper Rocks and others...

A map is in the article.

McT

Yep, that's because it's in the airport no fly zone, quite understandable. If you check out the web app on the page I linked a few posts back, you can enter a location (in this case: Snapper Rocks) in the search bar (top left), then drag the little blue drone icon around to check the regs for different areas.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.