Author Topic: Swaggers hanging around the Cape  (Read 5868 times)

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
Swaggers hanging around the Cape
« on: October 16, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »
G'day Cape crew,

I have spoken to Mark about posting this up and finding out who out of the crew going might be hanging around the cape for a little longer once the swaggers trip has finished.

I ask, as I intend to hang around for a few extra weeks myself to explore the place a bit, and thought if any of you guys were sticking around, perhaps we could bounce our ideas/plans of each other and maybe join forces.

It would mean that if we join forces then perhaps we could get to the more remote places and have the piece of mind that you have some assistance should you need it.

My early plans would include exploring the tip a bit more, visiting places like Capt Billy's landing, Chilli beach/Lockheart river area, Weipa and surrounds, and lakefield national park (Bathurst heads/Cape Melville), also time permitting id like to tackle the Frenchman's, and CREB tracks.  ;D ;D

There are many ways that these areas can be visited, maybe day trips from a base camp of our choosing, or we can take a bit of extra time to get there and where possible take our CT's, its really up to us.

Anyway, if any of the crew have plans to stay on at the Cape, and your keen to get together and bounce a few ideas of each other, please let me know.

Look forward to any responses.

Regards Swanny :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:35:07 PM by swanny »

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
Re: Swaggers hanging around the Cape
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:15:15 PM »
I think AJ gets back to Cairns today or tomorrow but he has been up there for a few weeks. One of our favourite spots is Ninian Bay. Great spot if you travel near Cape Melville but the track down to the beach has some challenges for a CT. Worth it but as it is pretty isolated and plenty of shade available. Good fishing and heaps of large black lipped oysters on the north side of the Bay. Muz.

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »
I think AJ gets back to Cairns today or tomorrow but he has been up there for a few weeks. One of our favourite spots is Ninian Bay. Great spot if you travel near Cape Melville but the track down to the beach has some challenges for a CT. Worth it but as it is pretty isolated and plenty of shade available. Good fishing and heaps of large black lipped oysters on the north side of the Bay. Muz.

Sounds like a great spot Muz, will defo take a look into it, I will be keen to hear from AJ when he returns, I have been keeping an eye on his reports, and have asked for a bit of feed back, which should give me a bit more info.

Swanny

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »
I just googled up Ninian to send you a map but they closed the track on the 02nd Oct due to being dangerous. (Normally half the fun). It can take a couple of hours to,travel the 35 odd Kms down to the bay but its worth it. Have camped there for 2 weeks on a couple of occasions.

Track closed Ninian Bay.
http://nprsr.qld.gov.au/park-alerts/12108.html

AJ is pretty experienced up the Cape. He has a flash Topaz CT and a Cruza 105 (converted to twin cab ute) he will tell you some good spots to go to. Computers are not his strong point. I will have to go help Hume when he gets back to post up some pics. I doubt he even knows how to PM yet but send him one and I will help him reply. :cheers:.muz

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Swanny

After the few days at Cotterall River. You can spend a few days at the Cape itself. A number of parks to stay at.

Explore the area Like Muttee Heads, etc. see the links below it will help.

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/pdf/cape-york-vg.pdf

http://blog.mud-maps.com/blog/capeyork4wdguide

http://www.tourismcapeyork.com/go/Maps

https://www.hemamaps.com.au/en/News/Map%20Patrol%20in%20Cape%20York%20Part%201

Happy to chat around the camp fire with a few drinks.

Mark.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:22:48 PM by McGirr »
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Nathan

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »
Hi Swanny,

Sounds like an awesome idea. We we're planning on spending 3 to 4 weeks up the cape. Lets talk further.

Regards,
Nathan

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »
Mark, thanks for the links mate, will defo come in handy, Muz, I look forward to any info you and AJ can pass on for sure, Nathan, PM sent mate.

Thanks All.

Swanny  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Mobi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »
Hi Swanny

At this stage we won't be able to join your extended tour due to time constraints.

:cheers:

Peter
Cat slave

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 05:19:44 PM »
Muzza01 it has been a long time since I have been in to Ninian Bay, the track then was a little rough. I think it was put in my Placer Development Mining Company, as they drilled the area for gold, before it became a national park.
The only way in before the road was boat, all the early exploration by the company I think they used Doreen 11.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
Not the last time we went, but the time before I reckon we were the first in after the wet. I think because the track is a bit rough it puts people off in the first few km's. It is good because it keeps most away and you have the area to yourselves (except for the 4.5-5 meter croc that lives in the area). The only bummer is that the creek is not wide enough to take a tinnie up. You have to go in on foot but there are plenty of jacks to be caught.

The billabong nearby supplies fresh water but I am always wary of the big croc coming in to the fresh to get rid of his barnacles. I cant remember the name what the National Parks guys call him.
The billabong:

The Bay:

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
I have done a bit of fishing off that rocky point in the past, and eaten a few oysters off them as well.
There was a large croc in the big lagoon on the southern end of the beach, there was a theory that a drug crop was planted and the crocs got them back in the early 80s.
Well that is what the police thought I was told when the mining camp was based there and the police raided it thinking it was a new drug group.

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 02:58:58 PM »
All righty then,

below is my itinerary for our trip once the Myswag trip finish's up. As you will see i haven't decided were we will be staying at the relevant locations, so if you know of any please put them up as an option, also if you know of place to explore on route also please throw them up.

I have done my plan with out any on the ground experience, i have also planned it based on travelling by myself, (family) although that may change as others may wish to join me, i already have one member accept my invitation to join us, that said, if I have planned to head to a location were you know ill need a second vehicle, again please put it up.

Don't hold back, pick the eyes out of it, have i put to many days down in one spot ???, do i need a second vehicle to travel with in some spots ???, can my plan be better ???, what are the must see places ??? etc, etc, etc.

So here goes,

4 nites @ tip, explore area, possibly Mark will be our tour guide, conduct M/taince on veh/ct, Accom TBC, Seisia, Loyalty beach, Punsand Bay ??

2 nites @ Bramwell Station, explore area, Capt Billys Landing etc, relax, swim and drink beer, ;D  Accom TBC Bramwell Station ??

4 nites @ Weipa, explore area, Pennefather river, Aurukun, Fishing charter, Conduct M/taince on veh/ct, fish more, relax, swim and drink beer, ;D  Accom TBC Weipa

2 Nites @ chilli beach Via Frenchmans track :cup:, explore area, Chilli beach, Lockhart river, relax and drink beer, ;D Accom TBC chilli beach

2 nites @ Mungkan Kanju NP, explore area, relax and drink beer, ;D  Accom TBC one of the many camp sites ??

4 nites @ lakefield NP, explore area, Cape Melville, Bathurst heads, Pandanas park, relax swim, fish, and drink beer, ;D  Accom TBC Hahn/Kalpower crossing ??

3 nites @ Cooktown Via Battle camp Rd, explore area, Elim beach, Cooktown, cultural tour, swim, fish, relax, and drink beer, ;D  Accom TBC Cooktown

2 nites @ Daintree, explore area, including NP, complete CREB track :cup:, relax, swim, and drink beer,  ;D  Accom TBC Daintree

2 nites @ Cairns, explore area, prepare for trip home, but relax swim, and drink beer  ;D

Wow.....it makes me tired reading it.

Let me know what you think.

Regards Swanny :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:28:10 PM by swanny »

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »
You need to allow more beer time...... ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
Pretty busy schedule Swanny but it is shaping up to be a great trip.
Now I havnt been on the old battlecamp road for a couple of years but last time the corro was really really bad.  Hopefully another Swagger can jump in here and advise on a recent trip that way.

Try and teach the kids before you go; "never turn your back on the waters edge both seaside and creekside. My two kids where blinkers when they walk around up there even after all of the warnings. I reckon they would trip over a croc before they saw one.

Send a PM to A.J. he just got back from a big trip.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:32:14 PM by muzza01 »

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
All righty then,

below is my itinerary for our trip once the Myswag trip finish's up. As you will see i haven't decided were we will be staying at the relevant locations, so if you know of any please put them up as an option, also if you know of place to explore on route also please throw them up.

I have done my plan with out any on the ground experience, i have also planned it based on travelling by myself, (family) although that may change as others may wish to join me, i already have one member accept my invitation to join us, that said, if I have planned to head to a location were you know ill need a second vehicle, again please put it up.

Don't hold back, pick the eyes out of it, have i put to many days down in one spot , do i need a second vehicle to travel with in some spots , can my plan be better , what are the must see places  etc, etc, etc.

So here goes,

4 nites @ tip, explore area, possibly Mark will be our tour guide, conduct M/taince on veh/ct, Accom TBC, Seisia, Loyalty beach, Punsand Bay ??

* I will be staying for a couple of days so can help here, drinking your beers.

2 nites @ Bramwell Station, explore area, Capt Billys Landing etc, relax, swim and drink beer,   Accom TBC Bramwell Station ??

* Not much to see at Capt Billy's, very windy, I would add that time to other places.

4 nites @ Weipa, explore area, Pennefather river, Aurukun, Fishing charter, Conduct M/taince on veh/ct, fish more, relax, swim and drink beer,   Accom TBC Weipa

* Weipa caravan park is the only place to stay and next door to woolworths. Do day trips from here if you wish and check with locals for other places.

2 Nites @ chilli beach Via Frenchmans track , explore area, Chilli beach, Lockhart river, relax and drink beer,  Accom TBC chilli beach

* The frenchmans track coming from west to east is extremely challenging and slow. Would suggest going to Chilli beach from the main road.

2 nites @ Mungkan Kanju NP, explore area, relax and drink beer,   Accom TBC one of the many camp sites ??

* Never been there so can't give any opinions. Check with the rangers for information.

4 nites @ lakefield NP, explore area, Cape Melville, Bathurst heads, Pandanas park, relax swim, fish, and drink beer,   Accom TBC Hahn/Kalpower crossing ??

* Hahn river is ok and Kalpower really only caters for campers with tents. Again check the camping website for spots. Not a bad place to look around and fish. Beware of snakes in this area.

3 nites @ Cooktown Via Battle camp Rd, explore area, Elim beach, Cooktown, cultural tour, swim, fish, relax, and drink beer,   Accom TBC Cooktown

*Battle camp rd has recently had a lot of work done to it but can get corrugated depending on the traffic each year as is all roads on the Cape.  A number of places to stay. North of Cooktown you have Endeavour River caravan park, approx 36 klms from Cooktown, Endeavour river escape , we stayed there recently nice place and approx 6 klms from Cooktown . You can stay in Cooktown and also stay at the Lions Den approx 20 klms south of Cooktown.

2 nites @ Daintree, explore area, including NP, complete CREB track , relax, swim, and drink beer,    Accom TBC Daintree

*A number of places on the northern side of the Daintree to stay, look up caravan parks in the area. Have never stayed up there before. Cape Trib is a great place to do a day trip.

2 nites @ Cairns, explore area, prepare for trip home, but relax swim, and drink beer 

* You may need a few more days here. Also a complimentary dinner and drinks at the McGirr pad. Naturally you supply the drinks.  ;D

* This is just my thoughts and everyone will have different ideas.

Regards Swanny

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 06:41:26 PM »
Thanks heaps mate, defo have beers at the ready, at this rate you wont need to bring any....hahaha....I have responded with a couple of questions/thoughts to your answers.
All righty then,

Don't hold back, pick the eyes out of it, have i put to many days down in one spot , do i need a second vehicle to travel with in some spots , can my plan be better , what are the must see places  etc, etc, etc.

So here goes,

* I will be staying for a couple of days so can help here, drinking your beers. Have you decided were you are staying ??

2 nites @ Bramwell Station, explore area, Capt Billys Landing etc, relax, swim and drink beer,   Accom TBC Bramwell Station ??

* Not much to see at Capt Billy's, very windy, I would add that time to other places. Hearing you, maybe an overnighter at BJ, and then perhaps plan those days toward the end of the trip and look around Laura/Lakeland area.

4 nites @ Weipa, explore area, Pennefather river, Aurukun, Fishing charter, Conduct M/taince on veh/ct, fish more, relax, swim and drink beer,   Accom TBC Weipa

* Weipa caravan park is the only place to stay and next door to woolworths. Do day trips from here if you wish and check with locals for other places. Yep my thoughts also

2 Nites @ chilli beach Via Frenchmans track , explore area, Chilli beach, Lockhart river, relax and drink beer,  Accom TBC chilli beach

* The frenchmans track coming from west to east is extremely challenging and slow. Would suggest going to Chilli beach from the main road. Rito, real keen to do this track...option maybe to do it from Chilli beach as a day trip ??, maybe add one of the days from BJ

2 nites @ Mungkan Kanju NP, explore area, relax and drink beer,   Accom TBC one of the many camp sites ??

* Never been there so can't give any opinions. Check with the rangers for information. Will do...have the relevant web sites

4 nites @ lakefield NP, explore area, Cape Melville, Bathurst heads, Pandanas park, relax swim, fish, and drink beer,   Accom TBC Hahn/Kalpower crossing ??

* Hahn river is ok and Kalpower really only caters for campers with tents. Again check the camping website for spots. Not a bad place to look around and fish. Beware of snakes in this area. Rito....good info....very keen to head out to Bathurst heads/Cape Melville...day trips....is a second veh a must ???

3 nites @ Cooktown Via Battle camp Rd, explore area, Elim beach, Cooktown, cultural tour, swim, fish, relax, and drink beer,   Accom TBC Cooktown

*Battle camp rd has recently had a lot of work done to it but can get corrugated depending on the traffic each year as is all roads on the Cape.  A number of places to stay. North of Cooktown you have Endeavour River caravan park, approx 36 klms from Cooktown, Endeavour river escape , we stayed there recently nice place and approx 6 klms from Cooktown . You can stay in Cooktown and also stay at the Lions Den approx 20 klms south of Cooktown. Great info...not overly keen to stay in Cooktown...more keen to stay at a camp or even CP and do day trips

2 nites @ Daintree, explore area, including NP, complete CREB track , relax, swim, and drink beer,    Accom TBC Daintree

*A number of places on the northern side of the Daintree to stay, look up caravan parks in the area. Have never stayed up there before. Cape Trib is a great place to do a day trip. Again great info.....exactly what im looking for.

2 nites @ Cairns, explore area, prepare for trip home, but relax swim, and drink beer 

* You may need a few more days here. Also a complimentary dinner and drinks at the McGirr pad. Naturally you supply the drinks.  ;D Hahahaha......no worries supplying the drinks either....Christ we will be in need of help by the end of this trip....cant wait

Regards Swanny

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 07:09:26 PM »

All righty then,

So here goes,

* I will be staying for a couple of days so can help here, drinking your beers. Have you decided were you are staying ??

** not sure as yet but may stay at Seisa as its close to everything. Will advise closer to the time.

* Not much to see at Capt Billy's, very windy, I would add that time to other places. Hearing you, maybe an overnighter at BJ, and then perhaps plan those days toward the end of the trip and look around Laura/Lakeland area.

** that sounds a better plan. You can watch people at Palm Creek wreck their cars  ;D

* Weipa caravan park is the only place to stay and next door to woolworths. Do day trips from here if you wish and check with locals for other places. Yep my thoughts also

* The frenchmans track coming from west to east is extremely challenging and slow. Would suggest going to Chilli beach from the main road. Rito, real keen to do this track...option maybe to do it from Chilli beach as a day trip ??, maybe add one of the days from BJ

** a day trip would be a big day. You would leave Chilli beach travel along frenchmans track to the crossing and come back that way as its a very long drive taking the route back to the development rd.
we will discuss it on the trip.

* Never been there so can't give any opinions. Check with the rangers for information. Will do...have the relevant web sites

* Hahn river is ok and Kalpower really only caters for campers with tents. Again check the camping website for spots. Not a bad place to look around and fish. Beware of snakes in this area. Rito....good info....very keen to head out to Bathurst heads/Cape Melville...day trips....is a second veh a must

*Battle camp rd has recently had a lot of work done to it but can get corrugated depending on the traffic each year as is all roads on the Cape.  A number of places to stay. North of Cooktown you have Endeavour River caravan park, approx 36 klms from Cooktown, Endeavour river escape , we stayed there recently nice place and approx 6 klms from Cooktown . You can stay in Cooktown and also stay at the Lions Den approx 20 klms south of Cooktown. Great info...not overly keen to stay in Cooktown...more keen to stay at a camp or even CP and do day trips

*A number of places on the northern side of the Daintree to stay, look up caravan parks in the area. Have never stayed up there before. Cape Trib is a great place to do a day trip. Again great info.....exactly what im looking for.

* You may need a few more days here. Also a complimentary dinner and drinks at the McGirr pad. Naturally you supply the drinks.   Hahahaha......no worries supplying the drinks either....Christ we will be in need of help by the end of this trip....cant wait

Regards Swanny

Offline rellbell

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2000 gu II + MDC XT12
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
When we did our trip to the cape with the Cairns 4wd club in July (2013) we camped at Umagico for a week. Being a group of about 6 cars Tony the owner of the camp ground put us around a covered kitchen area.  It was fantastic, ocean views, ablution block, washing machines, little shop with incidentals, and you could buy hamburgers, fish and chips, milk and bread, ice etc and reasonably priced too. Tell Tony and Julie we sent you:) cheers rellbell