Author Topic: UHF channel stickers  (Read 7312 times)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
Re: UHF channel stickers
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 01:54:08 AM »
What the hell does this have to do with the op ?

Not a lot, but it had run out of legs. Put a on 40 or 18 or both, but what about when you drive up the Pacific Highway, and you'll want a 29 on there too. Easy solution is don't bother with any stickers. Most people will monitor 40, to listen for oncoming wide loads etc, or 29 if on the Pacific. Or if they're bickie dippers, they'll use 18 and be chatting about where to get the best vanilla slices, up ahead.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 09:02:02 AM »
Speedos by law must be within 10% but must not read over
Therefore the manufacturers deliberately make them read slow, so they don’t have liability for reading over.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do understand that's the case with new cars, but I personally know of 3 cars which are between 20-30 years old which overestimate their speed by around 10-15%. The owners just drive them accordingly. 

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 10:47:03 PM »
I do understand that's the case with new cars, but I personally know of 3 cars which are between 20-30 years old which overestimate their speed by around 10-15%. The owners just drive them accordingly.

This is a really interesting subject, I have a mate who’s speedo must be out by at more than 10%, and he was recently complaining about people towing who were overtaking him and in one instance he was given a spray by a truckie. I’ve tried to explain to him that his speedo is out and even demonstrated to him that while he thinks he’s doing 100 he’s actually only doing 90 or even slightly less, he just can’t grasp it.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2020, 07:28:07 AM »
This is a really interesting subject, I have a mate who’s speedo must be out by at more than 10%, and he was recently complaining about people towing who were overtaking him and in one instance he was given a spray by a truckie. I’ve tried to explain to him that his speedo is out and even demonstrated to him that while he thinks he’s doing 100 he’s actually only doing 90 or even slightly less, he just can’t grasp it.

According to ADR 18/03 the speedo cannot under read, but can over read by 10% + 4KPH, so yes, it can read 114KPH at an actual speed of 100KPH and still conform to the ADR.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2020, 08:39:51 AM »
so yes, it can read 114KPH at an actual speed of 100KPH

Correct, but all :police: monitoring gear is (officially >:D) correct, so when they zap somebody at 120 in a 100 zone, then yes, they are (more than likely) traveling at 120, but their speedo will probably be showing ~130+! I've not got a lot of sympathy there! >:( >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »
According to ADR 18/03 the speedo cannot under read, but can over read by 10% + 4KPH, so yes, it can read 114KPH at an actual speed of 100KPH and still conform to the ADR.
There was a period of a few years where it was +/- 10%. (Early 90's.from memory) In reality they all read high.  No manufacturer would want to sell a car where the owner was unknowingly speeding. Would be a marketing disaster.

Prior to that ADR version the requirements were IF there was a a Speedo fitted it had to be visible from the driver seat.  No accuracy specified.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2020, 04:33:02 PM »
Correct, but all :police: monitoring gear is (officially >:D) correct, so when they zap somebody at 120 in a 100 zone, then yes, they are (more than likely) traveling at 120, but their speedo will probably be showing ~130+! I've not got a lot of sympathy there! >:( >:D

Correct, but I don't see how it relates to my post.. If my speedo was reading 120, I'd probably be doing between 118 and 119 LOL

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 06:41:47 PM »

Sometimes people just need a small nudge to get them to understand....a short whack to the back of the head with a piece of 4x2 !!  ;D

Or install a navman and show them the "proper" speed !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: Ger08