Author Topic: Lithium vehicle starter batteries  (Read 2153 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Lithium vehicle starter batteries
« on: July 18, 2019, 11:21:55 PM »
Has anyone replaced their heavy bulky lead acid / gel starter battery in their truck / car with a small Lithium type .. How are they holding up good bad ugly ?? ..
Saw one small Lithium battery  recently bolted to the inner guard  of a worked old Holden ute, thing was about 75 mm wide x 150 mm x 150 mm, would of only weighed about 1 Kg  at most,  Spun the camy old Six over as if it had a Hi torque starter, Owner says it was only about $130 .
Thoughts on them . ?
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Lithium vehicle starter batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »
I had one in a harley , about 1.7 litre motor. High compression. Spun the motor over as if no tomorrow. Standard lead acid battery really struggled. Cost about $350 5 years ago so would be cheaper now. Sold the bike with the 4 year old lithium in it and it still behaved like new. Big fan of them for motorbikes.  Never considered one for the car but I daresay technology can make it happen.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 09:18:37 AM »
how do they go with heat?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 11:41:12 AM »
Would be very easily shielded or or placed out of the engine bay being so small if were to be a problem, the one I saw was was bolted up on the inner guard behind the left hand head light ..
At first I thought the battery was in the ute tray till I saw the cable from the starter etc running to this little box and asked if it was a lithium battery unit ..
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 05:44:14 PM »
One in the harley happily lived in the hot temps of FNQ and was only 300mm from the hot rear cylinder.  Had a good degree of shielding.  Many motorcyclists are turning to lithium. All the go-fast sports bikes have them to save weight.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline wasn

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 05:53:58 PM »
Got one in the boat.. Never going back to lead battery for anything.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 06:04:04 PM »
Hey Wasn  Have you had it in the boat for long ? , hows it handle periods of no or limited use ? .. Do you have much in the way of the boats electronics gear ..sounders , radio's , lights running for hours ? hows it handle that and a  bit of extended cranking etc ? . TIA

Offline wasn

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 06:15:38 PM »
Edz, It's been awesome, runs all the electronics, deckwash, freshwater pumps, and trolling motor. Never had any issue with at all. And I don't think they slowly discharge like lead do either. After fishing trip and all washed down, the system is hooked up to a 30w panel that sit on the shed roof that maintains charge until next trip.
As for extended cranking, if the lithium can't do, I don't like your chance of getting it going with a lead battery. You most probably burn out the starter motor before the battery gives up.
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 06:22:05 PM »
Thanks Wazza, Thats the sought of stuff that can give me a better idea on them .. Thanks again .  :cheers: