Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673537 times)

Marschy

Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »
Hello Rod,

Yes the radio I bought will do the job, you just need to size your servo's appropriately. I haven't built any planes that require this size engine, so others may steer you in the direction of what size servo to drive the throttle linkage.

If you are just starting out, look at something smaller. The size engine is directly proportional to the size of the plane. You are looking at a pretty big plane to run this motor. Zama carbies or similar are used on gasoline monster engines like Zenoa's.

Have a look at the carbie on this motor, look familiar?

Zenoah ZP62 Gasoline engine 62cc w/electronic ignition

If you are just starting, look at either electric, or .40 or .46 cc 2 stroke engines. Lots of trainers for these size motors.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »
Hello Rod,

Yes the radio I bought will do the job, you just need to size your servo's appropriately. I haven't built any planes that require this size engine, so others may steer you in the direction of what size servo to drive the throttle linkage.

If you are just starting out, look at something smaller. The size engine is directly proportional to the size of the plane. You are looking at a pretty big plane to run this motor. Zama carbies or similar are used on gasoline monster engines like Zenoa's.

Have a look at the carbie on this motor, look familiar?

Zenoah ZP62 Gasoline engine 62cc w/electronic ignition

If you are just starting, look at either electric, or .40 or .46 cc 2 stroke engines. Lots of trainers for these size motors.

Cheers, Marschy

Thanks mate. I have had a chance to research your radio and it seems pretty well regarded. For $60 ex China I am tempted to order one as I have the time to wait while I get it to run. I have built a few planes over the years but never put an engine in one.  If I do build a plane for this engine, I wanted it to be a trainer and there are a few around.

Anyway, I will report back progress if I actually make any Headway!

Marschy

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »
My F450 kit arrived.

Pretty remarkable considering it was ordered on Xmas day, delivered 5 working days later (working days in Oz at least). Now I reckon that's exceptional.

Charger looks like it's would take a long time to charge a 3S lipo, this will have to be updated.

Motors are no-name brand, they'll do for now (watch this space), No way to work out how efficient (or inefficient) they are. ESC's are a FMT brand, but nothing on the net to determine if they are programmable, being linear, probably not.

I'll have a bit of a play around tonight and post more pictures soon.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 07:38:33 PM »
My T motors turned up today while I was at work. When I got home I  fitted them up and had a short test flight of about 30sec.
It looks good so if the wind stays away tomorrow I will fly some test packs and let you know all the results.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »
My F450 kit arrived.

Pretty remarkable considering it was ordered on Xmas day, delivered 5 working days later (working days in Oz at least). Now I reckon that's exceptional.

Charger looks like it's would take a long time to charge a 3S lipo, this will have to be updated.

Motors are no-name brand, they'll do for now (watch this space), No way to work out how efficient (or inefficient) they are. ESC's are a FMT brand, but nothing on the net to determine if they are programmable, being linear, probably not.

I'll have a bit of a play around tonight and post more pictures soon.

Cheers, Marschy

You'll have fun with that. Looking forward to the results.
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 08:04:34 PM »
Props are so so, but I was expecting that. Reckon they'd be a pain to balance. Haven't checked if they track straight yet, if they don't, they'll be going straight into the bin.
Motor mounts are not even for this motor but motor itself lines up with holes in the frame so I don't need them anyway. Probably just a generic prop adapter kit including mount which you only need the spinner/nut to secure the prop. Going to be interesting balancing the motors.
Everything is certainly there to get you flying minus the radio.
Needs washers for the Allen screws that hold the frame together as the bite on the fibreglass board is marginal, but easily fixed.
Everything else is pretty well as much as I expected given how little this kit cost.
There is also a bag of goodies including solder on bullet connectors zip ties Velcro, they even supplied an Australian power plug for the charger.

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »
Well had my first big oops today.
I crashed in to a tree about 35m of the ground. I was unable to rescue it so rang the council who sent out their arbourist who climbed the tree and retrieved it for me. I offered him a slab but he was not interested.
Any way the damage is 3 broken props and my pride.
I will edit the gopro video and put it up later. Here is a photo of the broken bits. All up about $10 damage.

Regards
Crispy

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
Well had my first big oops today.
I crashed in to a tree about 35m of the ground. I was unable to rescue it so rang the council who sent out their arbourist who climbed the tree and retrieved it for me.

Regards
Crispy

Hey Crispy, you should have called me, I know a guy in the SES that could have got it down for you  ;D ;D >:D
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »
Hey Crispy, you should have called me, I know a guy in the SES that could have got it down for you  ;D ;D >:D
I called that bloke but it was too high for him but he did get 20m up before running out of options. I understand he has learnt something new now so I'll be able to call him then.
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »
Bloody trees, the downfall of many remote control aircraft. But you did record the crash on video though? Bloody good thing it didn't fall out of the tree, a 35 metre fall with the transmitter off would have done a bit more damage that a few props.

I'm thinking about getting prop guards. They have saved the props on my Kogan UFO quad heaps of times. Just ordered some undercarriage, should have got prop guards at the same time.

What I've noticed with the UFO is when the prop guard hits an object the rear of the quad flips up towards the object so that it is 90 degrees to the direction of travel. Flying the quad around my front yard I,ve hit gutters on the roof (which you can see if that video I posted on the RC Cars thread very early in the vid), trees, the wifes car (don't tell her), and scared the crap out of the cat.

I've got about 100 acres of reserve directly out my back yard. Once I master the basics, I'll be hopping the fence and flying out my back yard. Most of it is relatively treeless.

Marschy

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »
New engines look good Crispy. Did you have your fpv goggles on when you flew into the tree?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:15:02 AM by Marschy »

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 11:26:52 AM »
As promised here is the shoer video which incorporates the mishap yesterday. After reviewing all the footage I nearly took out 3 trees during the flight. I think the problem was caused by 1. More weight so it does not stop going in one direction as fast as it did. 2. Wind. There was a light wind blowing in that direction and 3. I got too cocky. Most likely No 3 is the biggest reason.
Anyway enjoy and have a laugh.
Regards
Crispy
Big Oops

Marschy

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »
Looks like you yinged when you should have yanged. Gotta be happy with how stable it flies, brilliant.

I've got to get into the habit of using aileron to move away from obstacles rather than rudder and elevator. That's what get's me into strife more often than not.

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
Santa brought me a Blade 350QX and a blinged out Blade 130X ............ now I just need my FPV gogles and I am set ;D

yogi

Marschy

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »
The RCModelReviews website does a good review on SkyZone and FatShark FPV goggles. The SkyZone has a forward facing camera built into the goggles so you can turn the camera off and see normally. I think these are the same as Crispy's, but he obviously hasn't worked out how to use them properly yet, if you read above LOL.

I'm in the same boat as well. I was looking at 'Video Goggles' on both ebay and aliexpress. I'm now looking at the HobbyKing FatShark entry level goggles (also after listening to a bit of Crispy's advise). Hard to beat there price for goggles bundled with transmitter and receiver.

FatShark Teleporter V3 RTF FPV Headset System w/Camera and 5.8G TX

But I may need to get some more information on if I require the ones that can accept corrective lenses for people who wear glasses. My eyesight is shocking, but not long sighted. Crispy has led me to believe you don't need the corrective lens if you wear reading glasses, which is what my eyeglasses prescription is.

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 03:06:35 PM »
The SkyZone has a forward facing camera built into the goggles so you can turn the camera off and see normally. I think these are the same as Crispy's, but he obviously hasn't worked out how to use them properly yet, if you read above LOL.

Crispy has led me to believe you don't need the corrective lens if you wear reading glasses, which is what my eyeglasses prescription is.
Yes I have the Sky Zone goggles and I do know how to use them. You look into them and you see where your quad is. In my case it was in a tree!
I have to wear reading glasses and the goggles are clear to see in without any corrective lenses. Even the OSD numbers are clear.

Regards
Crispy
Look up your local RC flying club and go and talk to and have a look at some gear.

Marschy

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
Picked up the radio from the post office today. The quad is just waiting for the flight control board and tidying up the wiring, balancing, etc, then I'll be able to start flying.

Almost there now.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
want to do some flying at this field ???   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR5BtXP0s0o
How cool is this second one   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkHkWy9S4nw
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:54:09 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »
Well after the little oops the other day I have been working on some weight saving measures and trimmed excess wire off motors and other places. Every little gram helps.
Today I took it out to a CLEAR area (Soccer Pitch) and did some tests with props.
The results are in and here they are.
Flight 1
Prop 10x4.5
Time 10:14
Mah used 3797 (Out of an available 4000mah which is 80% of 5000mah S4)
Motor temp warm to touch but not hot
Battery Pack 2
AUW=2086g

Flight 2
Prop 9x5
Time 9:25
Mah used 3727 (Same type of battery)
Motor temp cool
Battery Pack 1
AUW 2077g

So from this it looks like the 10x4.5 props are the go for me.
I will have the 9x5s on hand in case of another oops  :angel:

Regards
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
Finally found a use for one of those useless bloody laser levels.

A homemade engine balancer.

Motors were pretty good. I have simply left them as they were after removing the stickers, so I have not had to balance them at all. Certainly worth the effort and it didn't cost me anything. Found different versions of these balancers on youtube
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:58:42 PM by Marschy »

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »
Good work on the balancing. I have flown 6 packs today at the caravan park that we are at. I will edit the video when I get home and post up a sample. Thus time there is no oops in the video.
Regards
Crispy

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

Marschy

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2014, 08:41:27 PM »
6 packs? Is that about an hour and a half of flying time?

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
6 packs? Is that about an hour and a half of flying time?
55-60 min of time. That is a long time to fly around in circles. When we left the park today I left a copy of photos taken from the quad. Lets just say there could be a discount stay there in the future.
I will upload some photos soon.
Crispy

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
Some photos from the GoPro. I have it set to take photos and video. Photos are taken every 10 seconds. I get to pick and choose the best ones and delete the rest.

This one is the swimming hole/beach. Not very deep really good for the little kids

The View from above. As you can see there is plenty of open space. Most have allocated camping spots but I think they rotate them in and out of service to let them recover.

This is out powered site the 2 side boundaries and the rear boundary are the tent limits. We had some good neighbours so was not really an issue

Another view looking west from well up in the sky.

I will do a little video soon and upload it Hope you enjoy the photos.
Regards
Crispy
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:39:55 PM by Crisp Image »

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2014, 02:50:23 PM »
Good ole Glen Cromie park, did you try for a cray while there ?
Great pics, looking forward to the video.
Thanks for sharing.