Author Topic: Why you need tech. while camping  (Read 6551 times)

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Why you need tech. while camping
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »
The politician should have been carrying a locator like a spot tracker or similar and yes it was very poor form on his part, he should have been much better prepared but as far as I know an epirb invokes a much higher level of response from the AMSA.
Epirbs are not replacements for phones, maps, etc, they should only be used as a last resort when your life is in immediate and eminent danger, if you leave it to the emergency services to decide and they decide it was not a life threatening emergency then you may well get a bill in the mail for their assistance.
I think it also should be remembered that the people that handle epirb responses are the same people that are doing things like looking for MH370 and are not there to respond to someone who has not charged his phone or has not done their homework before they go on a trip, no offense meant to the OP, who makes valid points from the lesson learnt

theins

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »
The politician should have been carrying a locator like a spot tracker or similar and yes it was very poor form on his part, he should have been much better prepared but as far as I know an epirb invokes a much higher level of response from the AMSA.
Epirbs are not replacements for phones, maps, etc, they should only be used as a last resort when your life is in immediate and eminent danger, if you leave it to the emergency services to decide and they decide it was not a life threatening emergency then you may well get a bill in the mail for their assistance.
I think it also should be remembered that the people that handle epirb responses are the same people that are doing things like looking for MH370 and are not there to respond to someone who has not charged his phone or has not done their homework before they go on a trip, no offense meant to the OP, who makes valid points from the lesson learnt

Well Said!

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 10:05:39 AM »

Unless your a Politician and they need you to make up the numbers.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »
In a previous role I was involved in remote area optic fibre projects, and used to put a single safety page together for the crews.
Emergency & non-emergency numbers for local clinics, police, ambos, RFDS etc.
Also nearest properties with airstrips incl directions, GPS coordinates & phone numbers.

Doesn't actually take long to assemble.
Probably a good idea for family camping trips, especially remote. Keep it in the first aid kit.
Sounds like Tripigy will make it even easier  - top idea  ;D