Author Topic: Who's had a look at an MDC Cape York?  (Read 35428 times)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Who's had a look at an MDC Cape York?
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
Few random shots.

One of the pinchweld I added to the kitchen bins.
One of the olive oil which froze in one of the kitchen bins last trip - novel for a Queenslander. Not so novel was waiting for the water lines to thaw out for the first coffee of the day
One of the trailer set up at Girraween.

That's about all for the time being.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »
Couple of close ups of the boat rack mechanism for Bagpuss
The following users thanked this post: bagpuss

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2016, 06:35:32 PM »
Few random shots.

One of the olive oil which froze in one of the kitchen bins last trip - novel for a Queenslander. Not so novel was waiting for the water lines to thaw out for the first coffee of the day

That'll teach you to leave water in the kettle the night before.
Always easier to heat a kettle, even if the water is solid.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »
That'll teach you to leave water in the kettle the night before.
Always easier to heat a kettle, even if the water is solid.
Yeah we worked it out pretty quick. First night caught us by surprise - I didn't expect the lines to freeze. The pump makes a great noise trying to push hailstones ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bagpuss

• Tent User
  • Living the dream
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2016, 08:54:19 PM »
Thanks for the photos :cheers: I like how they have put gators on the gas struts (And they say that imported campers aren't thought out) This is the first time I've seen it done  :cup:Top marks MDC
It looks like your having a ball with your camper keep it mate
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Mickthomas

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »

hi mate, where did you source the pinchweld  from???

i've tried motor trimmers, hardware, clark rubber etc....only place i can seem to find it is on fleabay..out of china.. ??? ??? ???

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:09:14 PM by GBC »

Offline Mickthomas

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »
link didnt work, you have to be the buyer or seller to see the details, but i guess its gunna be Ebay....what sizing did you find works???

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2016, 12:09:36 PM »
Changed it. Should work now.

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2016, 12:49:49 PM »
hi mate, where did you source the pinchweld  from???

i've tried motor trimmers, hardware, clark rubber etc....only place i can seem to find it is on fleabay..out of china.. ??? ??? ???

Clark Rubber at Mile End in Adelaide stocks it, I thought it was pretty standard Clark Rubber stuff. http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber-and-flooring/rubber-extrusions-3/pinchweld-seal.html
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »
Clark Rubber at Mile End in Adelaide stocks it, I thought it was pretty standard Clark Rubber stuff. http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber-and-flooring/rubber-extrusions-3/pinchweld-seal.html

Profile is too big for the tight radius corners - need mini (8 x5).

Offline jfella

• Tent User
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2020, 08:34:11 AM »
[quote author=GBC link=topic=46752.msg816189#msg816189 date=
The method of storage for the hot and cold water lines did my head in, so an afternoon with john guest fittings, a step drill and some stainless steel swarf burns later, we now have permanently plumbed hot and cold lines to the kitchen flick mixer
[/quote]

Digging up an old post I know, but would love to know how this mod was done if any one has some tips?

Cheers,
Jay

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2020, 09:55:45 AM »
[quote author=GBC link=topic=46752.msg816189#msg816189 date=
The method of storage for the hot and cold water lines did my head in, so an afternoon with john guest fittings, a step drill and some stainless steel swarf burns later, we now have permanently plumbed hot and cold lines to the kitchen flick mixer

Digging up an old post I know, but would love to know how this mod was done if any one has some tips?

Cheers,
Jay

Gday Jay, I’m still around and still have the camper.

I just reread this post - I’m still on the original Chinese bearings haha. It has new shocks now and is looking like it will need a set of suspension arm bushes, but it has earned them.

The water lines are plumbed into the rear of the kitchen area from the RHS of the camper where the HWS feed is. I just installed 2 john guest tee fittings in line.The penetrations through the floor go through electrical sealing grommets. I had to cut a small hole through the bed floor to get the nuts onto the back of them, then glued a piece of poly board (Mrs bread board from the kitchen) back over the hole.
Because I am lazy and didn’t want to take the kitchen off its slides I bought a ryobi 18v 90 degree drill to fit into the rear pantry box of the kitchen and drill 2 holes for the longer feed lines to come through.
Finally undo the screws holding in the thetford sink/flick mixer setup, loosen the john guest fittings and ditch the factory lines, and run the new permanent lines into the same john guest fittings - I must have installed a 90 degree fitting in there also - can’t remember for sure.
The lines just need to be slightly longer than you need at full extension, and they will self coil as the kitchen goes back in - I have had no issue in 4 years with mine and it remains my favourite mod. The trick is to buy genuine john guest line rather than the Chinese copy stuff which would probably kink. I had the luxury of looking in some mates’ Aussie campers to see how they were permanently plumbed, and it isn’t exactly scientific, so I had a go.
I did it on my own in a long morning. If you flick me a phone number or email address I can send some zoomable quality pics if you need them.
I should update this thread, after 4 years the camper has done a heap of trips now. Apart from a couple of fly screen holes (operator error) I can confidently say I saved $20k rather than wasted it. I might make the time to post some pics here.

EDIT - pics uploaded - not fun. Potato quality. Shot of the RHS underneath the camper looking up into where the lines go through the floor into the rear of the kitchen compartment.
Shot of the ‘temporary’ breadboard fix which is still there.
Shot of the new HWS setup - it is permanently fixed there on a slide out I made up - it just clips into the water and gas and off it goes. It is all weatherproof under the gullwing and I can close it at night without undoing it all. Also good for frosty camps where you can drain the water and put it away. Hope this all helps. Also see the little white mesh shelf I made up behind it for bog roll, hoses, wheel chocks etc. I like that one a lot.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:30:33 AM by GBC »

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2020, 10:24:45 AM »
Hws and shelf here

Offline jfella

• Tent User
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »
Thanks heaps for taking the time to write that all up GBC - massive help!

Just bought a mint condition 2016/2017 model and looking to start the mods.

Thanks again!
Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: GBC