Author Topic: Is it just me, or is everyone upgrading to vans?  (Read 17655 times)

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Is it just me, or is everyone upgrading to vans?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »
Yep I am thinking of upgrading. Gonna replace that home made awning with one of those flash fold out ones. Maybe even get a portable dunny if I can fit it in.  ;D

Went to the Bris camping show & noticed at least one manufacturer had lots of vans with sold stickers on them. Some had multiple sold stickers on them.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »
Australian camper trailer manufactuers only have themselves to blame

Why on earth would i pay up to $47k for a brand new hard floor camper from 2 reputable Australian brands when for another 10K more i am in new off-road caravan territory
$57K is the lower end of the market these days....was down at Lifestyle on Saturday looking at a possible future purchase, i have it on good authority that $80K is the average spend of most people buying there these days, and thier new van we looked at whilst there is more like $115K
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:57:38 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 06:57:33 PM »
Looking at Lifestyles website, they dont appear to do soft floor campers any more. That is quite telling
Cheers

Justin

KingBilly

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
Empty nesters and just upgraded to Jettent Bunkers.

Still looking for adventure before dementia  ;D

KB

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »
Our history

Tents to caravan (young kids)

Caravan to soft floor camper (older kids)

Soft floor camper to 4WD pop top camper.....(just the two of us) no towing, minimalist approach.....will do us for the time being.

At the Brisbane show there still seem to be plenty of punters strolling around the canvass roof brigade

Long term we would probably look at small 4WD truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »
I'm with the downsizing crew.

I have adjusted camping styles quite a few times over the last few years. This is because I decided to buy a nice boat instead of a nice caravan. What I have learnt is that for me camping is fun when its really simple. One day I will look at towing a brick around the country but hopefully by then there is a really compact but very comfortable compromise that suits two people.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 08:21:28 PM »
I Am only 54 and I went from Tenting it to a old Jayco pop up van I did up for my local camping and my trips away with the wife and kids with no boat, And for the the Northern sorties with my mates I still tow my 5m tinny with 60hp 4/ on the back and use a tent as it never rains up north in winter and there nothing like that bit bigger boat for traverling up the remote coasts lines 50 to 60ks looking around at things, When I am older I will take the van and smaller tinny, That would change if I won lotto though upgrade the tug and to lowest and not so wide Hybread offroad van and 4,2m tinny on top of the tug, Craig
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:52:50 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »
Spada's take on things is pretty close to a lot of people's circumstances.
Our personal decision on going small hybrid style was also influenced by the fact that we aren't doing weekend trips.
We go for long trips weeks or months at a time including remote areas. Quick set up time with minimal canvas was a must. Our van packs lots of comforts in 14.5ft. But being only 2 metres wide and lots of clearance means its goes lots of places. We live outside most of the time, but when your on the road for a while, theres times you need to be inside.
Maybe I just need to admit I'm getting old and soft?

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 05:05:39 AM »
Nope.
You must be just hanging around with a lot of old people these days.....

Seriously though...
There’s obviously a massive market for caravans, driving between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast you go past the 5 or so caravan shops with literally 1000s of vans parked out front in the 1km stretch of highway makes that pretty clear.

I don’t begrudge people getting old and wanting a few comforts when they travel.
Just as I don’t expect everyone to love the bush as much as I do and can accept that some people actually like staying at caravan parks.

It would be nice if the above people realized that the rest of the world is not retired or on holidays and stopped choking our highways with their monstrosities so we can get on with our normal lives.

There’s still heaps of us left that have no interest in dragging around a rolling road block. We still love going places that even the best “off road” caravan has absolutely no chance of getting into.

The annual lemming march is on around Cairns at the moment.  I,ve traveled all over Oz ans still prefer the tent/camper trailer set up. I cant believe the momentum of the modern glamping brigade spending hundreds of thousands on wankish huge vans/rigs just to stay on the bitumen and caravan parks. I,m no spring chicken but isn't camping supposed to be getting out into nature with fewer creature comforts and living with nature.  Had 4 in a row rigs yesterday all holding up traffic and just infuriating every motorist on the highway. The radio language was very colourful.  Dont think any of the rig owners had their radio on though!!.  I,ve got the money to buy a big monstrosity but why would I? Keep it simplish !
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson, Poita

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 05:52:55 AM »

The annual lemming march is on around Cairns at the moment.  I,ve traveled all over Oz ans still prefer the tent/camper trailer set up. I cant believe the momentum of the modern glamping brigade spending hundreds of thousands on wankish huge vans/rigs just to stay on the bitumen and caravan parks. I,m no spring chicken but isn't camping supposed to be getting out into nature with fewer creature comforts and living with nature.  Had 4 in a row rigs yesterday all holding up traffic and just infuriating every motorist on the highway. The radio language was very colourful.  Dont think any of the rig owners had their radio on though!!.  I,ve got the money to buy a big monstrosity but why would I? Keep it simplish !
each to thier own IMO....i don't get why so many people care or judge these days what other people own and how they "go camping"....why do they have to "rough it" if they don't want to?. For as long as I can remember there has always been people camping different ways, caravan parks aren't a modern thing after all and the bush has always been there. What's wankish to some is basic comfort  to others, different strokes for different folks as they say. Access to many once "remote areas" is easier to get to now, so easier to take the comforts of home with you also. As to thier driving styles.... that's a different kettle of fish, but I've been held up by groups of people not towing aswell as towing, many don't really think when travelling in a convoy it seems, just more concentrate on what thier group is doing.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: discoteddy, paceman, archer63, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 06:06:42 AM »
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 07:56:46 AM »
We considered caravans/hybrids before choosing to go with our hardfloor. We could have purchased a second hand bushtracker or similar for the price of the hardfloor. .

Have borrowed my parents 17ish foot pop top a few times in the past but I prefer the camping feel of canvas and an outdoor kitchen.

Main reasons for staying with a camper.

1. Liability off-road, no matter how good your vans suspension and how good your tow vehicle, size and weight becomes a liability in off-road situations. Bigger and heavier is not better if your getting off the blacktop and into real low range territory.

2. Storage, we wanted to keep our trailer in the garage, fits easily in our standard size 6x6 garage, this makes packing for trips or heading out on a last minute trip easy

3. Canvas, my wife and still want that camping/outdoors feel that comes with canvas, I like outdoor living, I like outdoor cooking, I am happy to suffer the elements along the way (flies, heat, cold, rain etc.) Many want the warm dry security a caravan offers and that fine.

For how we camp and what we enjoy the main drawback of a camper is setup time when compared to a full height caravan. That’s why we went with the fastest and easiest camper trailer we could find. It’s not as fast as a caravan but it’s not much slower either.

I think it’s horses for courses, many people are happy to stick to the road well travelled and like their creature comforts along the way. Living close to Vic’s high country I wanted the ability to get to some of the more secluded and pretty campsites the region has to offer, for me the smaller CT is the better choice for that aactivity.
Complete Campsite Fraser XTE

2013 Nissan Patrol Y62 ST-L
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 08:30:21 AM »
Coming East back into Bourke last winter for our first taste of bitumen and humanity in 3 weeks further out was a bit of an eye opener. I don't see a van as an upgrade, but a bigger compromise and more of a hindrance to where I want to go - away from caravanners and van parks.

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »
Big rigs have been around for a while.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/airfloat/unspecified/2114087.html
Wow. Did Lucille Ball  stay in that ?🤣

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2018, 08:35:40 AM »
Spada's take on things is pretty close to a lot of people's circumstances.
Our personal decision on going small hybrid style was also influenced by the fact that we aren't doing weekend trips.
We go for long trips weeks or months at a time including remote areas. Quick set up time with minimal canvas was a must. Our van packs lots of comforts in 14.5ft. But being only 2 metres wide and lots of clearance means its goes lots of places. We live outside most of the time, but when your on the road for a while, theres times you need to be inside.
Maybe I just need to admit I'm getting old and soft?

Cheers Glen

No i agree i also think this is also coming around because of more work flexibility so instead of only getting your 4 weeks a year off there are more options to do longer trips. I am in the same descision process as we are buying a house at the moment so our camping trips will go back to weekenders so do i stick with the origional idea of a small van or go back to a camper
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2018, 05:32:07 PM »
We did a couple of years ago.  Started with tents, many numerous types, a swag, hard floor camper trailer x 2 and then into a pop top caravan.  Mainly for medical reasons for both of us.  Ideally I would love a vehicle based tray back camper, maybe one day.......
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline JRABS

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2018, 05:56:01 PM »
We have just changed to a van from a softfloor. I just found we weren't getting away in the camper as it was just a pain to set up for the 6 of us.
We actually traded the camper to the people we bought the van off so that worked out really well.
Did the first trip the other weekend to Cape Hillsborough and it was great to back in and be set up in less than 20 min. I will miss the drifta kitchen though.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 07:24:49 PM »
Wife and I upgraded to a hybrid for the creature comforts.
Also has shower and toilet inside and kitchen outside.
Funny enough the people who bought our camper are downsizing from a 20’ caravan because they can’t get into their favourite fishing spots...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »
Started with a tent
Bought a jayco Swan
Bought a jayco Starcraft
Now looking for next full bunk van with full ensuite and every other available option 😳
What do I prefer... a swag

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2018, 09:18:13 PM »
We did a couple of years ago.  Started with tents, many numerous types, a swag, hard floor camper trailer x 2 and then into a pop top caravan.  Mainly for medical reasons for both of us.  Ideally I would love a vehicle based tray back camper, maybe one day.......
Our neighbours just upgraded from their old slide on with a flash new one, Reckon you would need good mobility as its a decent climb up the ladder steps when on the truck . 
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2018, 09:52:12 PM »
I’m a slow moving person when it comes to fashion, so we’v just upgraded from a lifestyle explorer to a lifestyle extenda soft floor. After our basic & easy to set up no frills camper, this one is a pain in the arse to set up but very comfy & a lot bigger floor space for the girls. With the condition it’s in & the never ending extras we got with it, pain in the arse or not, we stole it.
A van is next though (still a long while away), I look forward to pulling up & having a cold one straight up on an overnighter

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2018, 09:56:34 PM »
Started with a tent and ute with canopy.No kids no wife
Moved to a tent with box trailer 1 kid 1 wife
Upgraded to Jayco swift, 2 kids same wife
Further upgrade to Jayco Swift same kids same wife
Upgrade Jayco 12 foot expanda, no kids same wife.
Still got that van and wife but age and bladders are calling for a van with toilet
Next move may be a hybrid or a new Jayco 13ft Adventurer. not sure I can afford a new wife.Any replacement will be limited to sub 14ft and 2000kg.
But I still have my swag for me trips and a roof top tent trailer for beach runs.
Suits our needs and budget.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2018, 10:16:20 PM »
Next move may be a hybrid or a new Jayco 13ft Adventurer. not sure I can afford a new wife.

Hadn't seen the Jayco adventurer before, seems pretty good for about 60K

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2018, 10:33:34 PM »
Hadn't seen the Jayco adventurer before, seems pretty good for about 60K

We were impressed when we seen one at the Qld van show. They have taken a Jayco to a new level beyond the outback range. $30-$40 k cheaper than the upmarket hybrids, $10k dearer than a Chinese knock off, negative being they are still a caravan width. About the only option required is a weberQ, Come with lithium power, solar etc.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:10 PM »
Started with a tarp and air mattress,
Missus, graduated to a decent tent
Kids, bought a good second hand Customline soft floor, which we love
Currently looking at possible back surgery, so if that happens, we may end up with something like a Modcon Quattro so we're not managing such a big tent.
When the kids are off our hands, I reckon we'll be into a custom made hybrid or a Track Topaz if we could move the kitchen outside

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:57:10 PM by DrewXT »
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup