Author Topic: Local country market bans dogs on leash - interested in your thoughts  (Read 18624 times)

scarps

I live 50km's north of Melbourne in what's best described as a fast growing semi rural community.  At some stage in the next 10 years I have no doubt we will become an outer suburb.

Our country market is best described as a local community event run by the local Scout Group as a non profit organisation.   Like many communities, it's the once a month event where many of us catch up for a coffee, chat, dog sniff and browse/shop the market stalls. 
For the last 10 years it's always been a dog friendly event, and I've no doubt there's been a few dog bristling moments, but was very surprised when approached yesterday by one of the organisers and handed a notice that my dog is not welcome to next month's market. When I asked why, I was advised that there have been complaints to the local council about dogs being at the market.
The note went on to say that a dog holding area would be set up for next month manned by some of the scout organisers, however no responsibility would be taken for my dog if in the holding area.

As a semi rural we have a great council who work hard to keep in touch and they even have a dept within council set up to support our animals.  If interested, you can checkout their FB page - Animals of Mitchell Shire.  I enquired last night what council's stance was on this notice and it was confirmed that there had been some complaints.  I was also given some other info from a council bylaw perspective, but am waiting on further info to some further questions I asked about the use of the council land on which the market is being held (an open community park in the centre of town). Generally the council response has been very good and supportive, but constrained.  The also asked me for any ideas I might have that could be alternate options to this situation.

Now I've been going to this market for many years with my very ferocious :-) Scottish Terrier (well she is a Scot after all and her excited tail wag could snap an achilles tendon), but I've only ever seen dogs large and small on short leads and being well controlled. As stated, there has been the odd bark/bristling incident, but only ever short lived and well controlled. Noone could advise me when asked if anyone had ever been hurt by a dog incident?

So, do I push this point as far as I can and see if I can get a solution for other local dog owners, or do I accept the inevitable and write this monthly activity off my to do list?  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:16:58 AM by scarps »

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Local country market bans dogs on leash - interested in your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 10:29:03 AM »
Hi

For the past few years I have managed an area where animal control is one section. This is always a difficult area to find a happy balance. The community seems split down the middle. I only recently reviewed the entire dog management policy and it was a god awful experience. For some reason many dog owners don't get the fact that many people are not interested nor want to interact with dogs at any level.

From a legal perspective the council would be on a hiding to nothing if they had complaints and still allowed them if someone was bitten. What I would suggest is asking them to set aside an area as a designated dog exercise area where you can take them at the markets. Have some water and posts to tie them up to while u shop. That way dog people can interact without annoying others.

I really dislike dogs at these events simply because I have a small child whose face is at bite level and I get tired of telling dog owners to keep their dog away. Too many think its lovely for their dog to lick or jump on my kids. "He won't hurt you dear". Crap. Every dog can bite and the vast majority of dog bites our section gets are from terriers.

If you need some detailed advice from a council perspective shoot me a pm.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
Seems crazy to me. I am a semi-regular attender at the Lancefield community market, held on the wide median strip / park in Main Street, and the dogs of those there are no problem, in fact add to the 'vibe' of the event.  That is from the perspective of a long time non dog owner.
From a legal perspective, I can't see how there is any difference to walking a dog in public anywhere else, so long as it is leashed and under control. Indeed, unless a local law is passed to the contrary, I don't see how you can be stopped from having your dog in a public park on a leash and under control.
PERHAPS someone has complained about dogs being around food, from a health perspective, and the market stalls are being treated as 'food premises', given that the vendors would need to be registered under the 'Health and Wellbeing' Act, as it is now called. However, I can't see how this is any different to a dog walking. Past a fruit & veggie display in the street outside a regular green grocers shop...
IF this is the problem, a 'solution' might be a chalk line a metre in front of stalls, and dogs aren't allowed across the line.
If what you describe happened at Lancefield I recon it would kill the market.  Even some rural stall holders bring their dogs, some have pup for sale.  What you describe is very sad.
In your situation I would challenge it. Leave your dog at home for the next market and take around a petition asking for the edict to be reversed.  Good luck!
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
I'm a dog owner but don't like dogs in crowded situations like markets etc. not everyone likes dogs, some are scared of them. With all the people, other dogs etc it is not fair on the dogs or non dog people. I see no problem with them banning dogs

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
I'm a dog owner but don't like dogs in crowded situations like markets etc. not everyone likes dogs, some are scared of them. With all the people, other dogs etc it is not fair on the dogs or non dog people. I see no problem with them banning dogs

Agree.  I've got 2 overly friendly whippets and I tend to avoid crowded places with them.  While I love them, not everyone else does and you have to respect that.

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
I live in the country and our local markets have a no dog policy, It just surprises me the number of dog owners walk there dog past the no dog signs and think they don't apply to their dog. ???

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
Our markets which are farmers and food only have implemented a no dog policy.

I wouldn't take the sloth to them even if they were dog friendly. The sloth is old and anti social enough.

I think that from a health legislation and a WPHS perception it is fair enough. If a person gets bitten then the onus (or liability) is on the market organiser to compensate, not the dog owner.

The no dog policy, like everything in this nanny country, has come about because people like the Shazza's and Dazza's of this world that think that their untrained Rottweiller cross bitch on heat , thats alternating between rubbing her bits on everything in site and slobbering on peoples food is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
(Sorry Dazzler no offence intended  ;D )

So as usual the lowest common(er) denominator wrecks it for everyone.

Cheers Nomad.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
But you through me in with Shazza...... She betta put out!   :cheers:
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
I went to the Saturday markets here in Derby yesterday.  Some of the locals needed to be on leashes, although this black fella was not so polite to them scum....drunken scum making idiots of themselves.  Do not worry, I will attend those political correctness classes sometime, if I get the time.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
But you through me in with Shazza...... She betta put out!   :cheers:

Guaranteed.......................... >:D

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Local country market bans dogs on leash - interested in your thoughts
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »
.  Do not worry, I will attend those political correctness classes sometime, if I get the time.
Regards
Tjupurula
please don't, political correctness is a load of rubbish i reckon. :cheers:
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Woodsie

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Off the beaten track in this Great Country of Ours
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
There are places for dogs and I think the Markets are not the place. Just going to Better pets and Gardens where they have a dog wash, owners have to walk their dogs through the shop to wash them and you see them cocking their legs on the shelves and dog food as they go. So markets, with food stalls etc is not the place to take them. I am a dog owner too, but these are just my thoughts on the situation.
Tony Woods 06 HZJ105 Turbo/IC
2012 Eureka Hard Floor Camper

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »
please don't, political correctness is a load of rubbish i reckon. :cheers:

I did say if I get the time, and that I will never get.

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »
There are places for dogs and I think the Markets are not the place. Just going to Better pets and Gardens where they have a dog wash, owners have to walk their dogs through the shop to wash them and you see them cocking their legs on the shelves and dog food as they go. So markets, with food stalls etc is not the place to take them. I am a dog owner too, but these are just my thoughts on the situation.
agree
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 06:10:47 PM »
More than likely it for the health and hygiene perspective , under the food act animals are not permitted where food is sold.  But I also agree that others, paralytically those with young children,should not have to put up with other peoples dogs and the worry of safety for their children. I love dogs and I would never consider taking a dog into a public area full of people.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Andrew_C

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
I have a little friendly family dog.
Like everything, the rules have to be made to the lowest common denominator.
Just because your dog is okay, doesn't mean all of them are, and I have small kids and have had enough close calls with apparently "friendly" dogs that I don't want licking or smelling me or my kids. Close enough to lick is close enough to bite.

Not a place for dogs I would say.

Offline tossie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »
I have never seen a dog yet that can open it's wallet and purchase something off a stall holder. Surely one can attend a local market once a month without the pooch. As others have stated not everyone likes dogs and some are afraid, my girls are afraid of them and will start to retreat when they see dogs coming. I don't care if people think their dogs won't bite, it is a chance I would prefer to avoid where my girls are concerned. How do you know the dog likes going it might hate it! Just my perspective!

Cheers Tossie

scarps

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 07:52:14 PM »
Thnx guys and gals. Great feedback on all fronts. Appreciated.
I guess my disappointment is that what to date has been a friendly community event, come one, come all, will in my mind become less of a community event for me and many others.
I have suggested to the council that they restructure the market layout and have the pet stall holders on one side and as it's a big park, have a designated 'dogs welcome here' area, so we can still get a coffee, buy our pig's ear/liver treats and chat with other local community dog owners. Somewhat not exclude us alltogether which is today's decision, but instead continue to respect us also and cater for us.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 07:54:19 PM »
I really dislike dogs at these events simply because I have a small child whose face is at bite level and I get tired of telling dog owners to keep their dog away. Too many think its lovely for their dog to lick or jump on my kids. "He won't hurt you dear". Crap. Every dog can bite and the vast majority of dog bites our section gets are from terriers.

The other thing is dogs (and also cats) do carry diseases that can be dangerous, especially pregnant women and young children.

I also love dogs but I object to having to deal with other people's dogs in a public place, especially a crowded event like a market.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »
The whole dog debate is no different to any other respect debate.

Be it  camping too close, noise, privacy, generators etc etc etc.........

People just need to exercise respect.
If a dog is under control an being of no nuisance and the owner cleans up its indescretions, then no problem, but of course it takes one id10t to wreck it for everyone else.

I have had heaps of problems with neighbours over dogs barking and can't for the life of me understand how the annoying barking at 3am can not bother them?

Again, respect, its so lacking these days.
Councils hands really are tied as are most regulatory authorities. You have to have one blanket rule for all.

Ban idiots breeding and we have a starting point......

Rant rant rant.........now back to reality
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 08:11:44 PM »
Scarps,

I live in Wallan and we go to most markets with our 1 year old son in his pram and our 2 chocolate labs,and I was also disappointed in the decision to ban dogs.
But I can see why they have done it,it can be so hard getting around with the pram dodging dogs and leads and being constantly aware to watch for dogs sniffing at the pram etc.
It is just a matter of time before 2 dogs just don't get along going down one of the rows and someone gets hurt.there is just too many dogs now.
I will miss taking our dogs down for the market,but I think because of the size and popularity of the Wallan market it really had to happen.

cheers,  Matt
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

scarps

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »

Scarps,

I live in Wallan and we go to most markets with our 1 year old son in his pram and our 2 chocolate labs,and I was also disappointed in the decision to ban dogs.
But I can see why they have done it,it can be so hard getting around with the pram dodging dogs and leads and being constantly aware to watch for dogs sniffing at the pram etc.
It is just a matter of time before 2 dogs just don't get along going down one of the rows and someone gets hurt.there is just too many dogs now.
I will miss taking our dogs down for the market,but I think because of the size and popularity of the Wallan market it really had to happen.

cheers,  Matt

Thnx Matt, yes I think it is inevitable, but I am pushing the point with our council and the Scout Group that a bit more thought could have been given to every member of our community and not just a blanket ban on some.  I respect everyone's right to bring their children to the market to stroll in a safe and friendly  situation. Not sure what will happen to all of the kids that actually came up to me and ask if they could have a pat of Hollie.  Will they now be less of an adult?
I intend to ensure that we get some consideration, even if just having a designated 'dogs welcome here' area. 

I'm slowly coming to realise why as we get older, we may turn into grumpy old men, have no tolerance for badly behaved children, and join the caravaner's forum:-) 
Luckily for now I can still get away from it all and go camping (with my dog).

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »
I'm slowly coming to realise why as we get older, we may turn into grumpy old men, have no tolerance for badly behaved children, and join the caravaner's forum :-) 

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 09:16:25 PM »
it probably only took one complaint (comment) to the council, for the council to arrive at this decision, it probably only took one incident (minor?) to raise a comment.
I am not a dog owner but do care for guide dogs in final training and am also an emergency boarder for working guide dogs, I never have any hesitation about taking any dogs (guide dogs) that are in my care anywhere (that I am legally allowed under the act), I hear all sorts of comments and am very rarely challenged, the hardest time I regularly have is stopping people from petting a working dog

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »
nah..........after typing, deleting and re-typing i have chosen not to get involved in the dog/no dog debate other than to say i will always take the four legged option when i can

2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111