Author Topic: Hi everyone need some help and opinions  (Read 3051 times)

Offline vee8ss

• Sleeping Bag User
Hi everyone need some help and opinions
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:42:42 PM »
Hi there guys and girls... I've been on here a long time and have been stalking lots of ideas and info over the years.

I'm a 4wder, I've always said I never wanted to tow anything when offroad as I don't want to be limited to where I can get to so have always had tents. I've just finished my custom tray and started on my jack on/off canopy that is currently on the ute but not fitted out as yet on kch 2014 dmax.

Anyway long story short I've been through a divorce over a year ago now and have been getting away with my kids for 2-3 nights at least once a month. We never really do extended stays in one place except for 1 week a year maybe two if where lucky. This is where I have been thinking of building or buying a camper of some sort.

My main questions are is who on here gets into their 4wding and how knarly a track have you towed your camper on. I don't go looking for extreme 4wd tracks but if there's an easy way and a harder way to get to our next camping spot I'll take it if you know what I mean.

Next is I build custom performance cars for a living... I have a ac/do tig and am proficient in aluminium, steel and stainless welding both mig and tig and so I have the skills, maybe not some stuff but as far as the main things go I think I could build a decent trailer. 

What kind but??? My prerequisites are must have a queen bed for myself and two single beds/bunks with all the sleeping arrangements up off the ground. Must be under or as close yo 750 tare weight as possible (keeping in mind that I have a canopy on my ute that can carry any luxuries. Keeping with my must haves as per above it narrows it down to forward fold camper such as gic/mdc and others are offering or a hybrid of some some of pop top thing. I'm after some pros and cons of each design and has anyone on here built a forward fold camper yet?

Anyway I'm rambling aren't i.... I'm really impressed with this forum and can't wait yo be an active part of it which ever way I decide to go it think I'll have something to post in the near future cheers

Michael

KingBilly

Re: Hi everyone need some help and opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:59:05 PM »
Wow, four years a member and only your second post  :D

Modcon/Ecomate have a forward fold with two singles.

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=45870.0

KB
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:04:56 PM by KingBilly »

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
Re: Hi everyone need some help and opinions
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:00:44 PM »
Hi Michael and welcome to the forum mate ...

With that skill set - I am sure whatever you construct will be really good...

I avoid the really tough and rough tracks myself....    but you never know sometimes what's just around the corner. ...

Shake&Bake BB

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.