Author Topic: The Random Question of the Day Thread...  (Read 319741 times)

scarpsD40

Re: The Random Question of the Day Thread...
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2015, 12:12:14 PM »
Why is it, no one comes near you all day at work, you do one little, quiet pop-off and suddenly every man and his dog is heading over to your desk to ask you a question...
just blame them when they get there

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »

Why do drivers automatically move to the right hand lane on an overtaking section and there isn't another vehicle in front of them to overtake ???
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »
Hey Bird

Sound's silly I know, but do you have any / many Daddy Long Legs round the place?

If so, try carefully collecting them & moving them to the shed, as they are apparently the number-one enemy of Redbacks!

Have been told by a number of Telstra techs & sparkies, that if they have to go into a roof & they find DLLs, they go in happily, knowing there'll be no RBs in there.

No guarantees  :angel:, but got to be worth a try
Sorry, I can't subscribe to this theory. My bottom shed has a lot of bloody big red backs & daddy long legs living in apparent harmony!
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

champin

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2015, 04:22:13 PM »
Sorry, I can't subscribe to this theory. My bottom shed has a lot of bloody big red backs & daddy long legs living in apparent harmony!
Steve
Well then, your redbacks obviously didn't read the memo.  :laugh:

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
Steve

Ahh well, it was a good theory!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 06:57:09 AM »
I have one...

Where are the "Global Warming" Zealots right now???? Rugged up next to their evil heaters to keep warm, that's where!!!
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 07:23:24 AM »
I have one...

Where are the "Global Warming" Zealots right now???? Rugged up next to their evil heaters to keep warm, that's where!!!

It's only called "global warming" when it's hot..............

The rest of the time it's call "Climate Change"  ;D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »
It's only called "global warming" when it's hot..............

The rest of the time it's call "Climate Change"  ;D

That depends on what point your trying make at that time  , But that's not locked in yet       :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »

Why do drivers automatically move to the right hand lane on an overtaking section and there isn't another vehicle in front of them to overtake ???

no no no.. why do they speed up from 80 in 100 zone to 150k's once there is a passing lane, then slow down to 80 again once its finished..
also why do they get the Shits when the 200 cars stuck behind them for the last hour run them off the road and don't let them back in once the passing lane closes...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2015, 09:16:43 AM »
Headlights on [ Daytime ] close up the gap a bit and move over to line the RH headlight  up with the drivers mirror,  Ive found works most times to get the message across to move over ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2015, 09:17:54 AM »
no no no.. why do they speed up from 80 in 100 zone to 150k's once there is a passing lane, then slow down to 80 again once its finished..
also why do they get the Shits when the 200 cars stuck behind them for the last hour run them off the road and don't let them back in once the passing lane closes...

this happend to me on a trip up to proserpine, i ended up getting a run up on him got in front then slowed to 50k and let the said 200 cars behind overtake before coming back upto speed. the bit that made me smile was the look on his face >:(

Adam
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
I have one...

Global warming - is in fact a misnomer.  Us zealots call it CLIMATE CHANGE. The heating of the planets causes CLIMATE CHANGE which results in far more extreme weather events - both storms and droughts - cyclones and snow storms. Ask the northern hemisphere how much snow they have had in winter - extreme.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2015, 09:12:42 AM »
With all of the hype about hybrid type campers on this forum at the moment, can someone please explain to me why they are sooooo expensive?

Some upwards of $80k  :o  You can buy a 20'+ caravan for that.

My in laws recently looked at a new caravan, 19', shower, Shitter etc. It was $40k + Flash looking thing, well known brand, new.
The couple of hybrids that have gained a lot of attention here lately, are 6' or so smaller, yet $10k more ??? Do you pay extra for the privilege of folding out panels to create an area for a bed? Does a plastic shower curtain add a heap of value to it over a
shower cubicle with a sliding door?
Maybe it's the checker plate that adds value?

When I see a $55k campertrailer and a $55k caravan sitting side by side, it's hard to see the value in the camper. Why are they so expensive?

Not knocking the camper or their owners, but can someone explain to me where the value is in one of these, compared to a caravan of same $$$$
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

KingBilly

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
With all of the hype about hybrid type campers on this forum at the moment, can someone please explain to me why they are sooooo expensive?

My in laws recently looked at a new caravan, 19', shower, Shitter etc. It was $40k + Flash looking thing, well known brand, new.
The couple of hybrids that have gained a lot of attention here lately, are 6' or so smaller, yet $10k more ??? Do you pay extra for the privilege of folding out panels to create an area for a bed? Does a plastic shower curtain add a heap of value to it over a

When I see a $55k campertrailer and a $55k caravan sitting side by side, it's hard to see the value in the camper. Why are they so expensive?

Not knocking the camper or their owners, but can someone explain to me where the value is in one of these, compared to a caravan of same $$$$

One of life's great mysteries.  Would love to know the answer also

KB

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »

i guess the question of what something is worth is answered by what someone will pay...

value is in the eye of the purchaser...

if they released these models at the current prices and no-one bought them, the price would probably drop.

but they are selling (and pretty well from what i can gather) so why drop the price? ...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »
Quote from: Footy Shorts Shane

Its a new idea.... Screw them for all they are worth.. Many people have to keep up with the Jones'... you see it regularly on here.
 Just wait till they go to sell em... they'll be like Range Rovers.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »

I ask myself the same question. I camp a great deal with a group of friends who have varied campers and caravans. From $3,000 used campers to $80,000+ luxury caravans. Many varied ages, incomes and stages of life.

One couple a few years ago bought a fold out type of camper trailer tent style with soft floor and kitchen that folded out on the side. Just a double bed. It cost them $60,000. I simply cannot see the value in paying that money. My Swan Outback (or similar ones) have MUCH more inclusions and much easier set up too. And that costs roughly $30,000-35,000 depending on options.

I can see that the tent style ones may get through sections off road easier than a Swan. But that's pretty marginal really, you'd have to be on serious 4WD tracks to be stuck with a Jayco Outback camper trailer.

I don't see the value either, but each to their own I guess.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2015, 10:34:34 AM »
One couple a few years ago bought a fold out type of camper trailer tent style with soft floor and kitchen that folded out on the side. Just a double bed. It cost them $60,000.

Well that makes my comparison of the hybrid and caravan look pretty mediocre now doesn't it.

With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »
Quote from: Footy Shorts Shane
Well that makes my comparison of the hybrid and caravan look pretty mediocre now doesn't it.

One of the top end soft floor manufacturers has an online calculator to work out what the trailer plus the accessories you choose will cost... Trust me, when I did it selecting mostly top $ accessories, it doesn't take much to get to 80k.. and I wasn't finished yet. ****in laughable!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
We just changed from a 50k kamper to a 60k hybrid.
We have been lucky enough to travel to some of the more remote areas and I have wondered the same about value.
I have seen a 50k kamper and a 50k caravan side by side in an easy to get to caravan park and wondered why I spent the extra money.
I have also seen my 50k kamper next to a 50k caravan in some of the semi remote places and I can then see the value (as in the damage to the caravan)
I have not seen my 50k kamper next to a 50k caravan in very remote or hard to get to places as they do not go there.
If my 50k/60k kamper/hybrid will go to the places I want to take it, I can see the value.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »
I have not seen my 50k kamper next to a 50k caravan in very remote or hard to get to places as they do not go there.
If my 50k/60k kamper/hybrid will go to the places I want to take it, I can see the value.

Thanks Hewy, that's where the 'value' is in the hybrid type then? Not so much in size, accessories, comfort etc, but off road ability then?

:cheers: Shane.

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »
Can we have more than one random question answered daily?
The was a video in the Youtube section that showed planes landing in strong winds and they were being blown all over the place.
Question: When landing in these circumstances do the pilots drive the things or are they computer operated, because there seems to be a bit of a lag on getting the planes straightened out, but that may just be the momentum causing the delays in changes of direction/altitude.
Cheers

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »
Can we have more than one random question answered daily?
The was a video in the Youtube section that showed planes landing in strong winds and they were being blown all over the place.
Question: When landing in these circumstances do the pilots drive the things or are they computer operated, because there seems to be a bit of a lag on getting the planes straightened out, but that may just be the momentum causing the delays in changes of direction/altitude.
Cheers

You hold plane off (with crossed controls) so that it tracks down the centre line if the runway until at your flair hit - you then kick it straight with rudder and use aileron to hold the wing down into wind which will hold it on the centre but straight. Not much different from pushing a shopping trolley along a sloping footpath really - well it si but you get used to it.

No longer flying - too expensive.

Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline lochgilphead

• Tent User
  • Disgruntled by work; Gruntled by camping
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2015, 05:43:20 PM »
I freakin' love this forum...all this banter and different opinions just makes my day...every day.   :cup: :cup: :cheers: :cheers
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:44:53 PM by lochgilphead »
Mac and Jen - Isuzu MUX with some small mods towing a Rhinomax Discovery. This is our rig until we stop travelling!!

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2015, 05:58:07 PM »
I freakin' love this forum...all this banter and different opinions just makes my day...every day.   :cup: :cup: :cheers: :cheers
Agree wholeheartedly.
many people look surprised when I say that I love to argue. Not a physical, all fired up thing, but a logical discussion.
I find that we all have our different values, me especially, and it is easy to think that the only way is my way.
By having a decent argument you get to hear other points of view which helps to clarify the situation for me.
Does not need to get personal, and just remember that your opinion is correct as it is YOUR opinion.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL