Author Topic: Are Times Changing?  (Read 7887 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Are Times Changing?
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »
Saw this on Faceless Book.  Just wondering what peoples thoughts of it are?

Does anyone know of anyone hiring and willing to take on a 29week pregnant teen? Have to find a job and do interviewd til I'm 35 wks, only because centrelink is making me

It looks like the Hand Out Generation will continue
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: Are Times Changing?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »

Yes, I believe times are changing ... and not for the better in all cases. 

Obviously this young lady doesn't have what it takes to get a job, let alone bring up a child (only my opinion of course) ... but if we don't have enough jobs to go around for all ... I guess the CES can only encourage people to look ... even if it is hopeless for some. 

I have applied to the CES for the Dole, but always ended up getting a job before any payments were made.  It shows that those that really want work will find anything to get a few extra dollars. In saying that, it is getting harder and harder to find a decent job that pays enough to keep people away from the easy money of the Dole.  I like to blame shareholder driven companies for the demise of many jobs in every sector (again just my opinion).  You can also tell that service has taken a nose dive, as those in jobs aren't always as happy with what they are doing ... because it's not what they really, really want to do ... it's just a job ... it's just a means to an end.  I understand that.  At any moment, they retrench people, to save more $ for shareholder dividends and corporate pockets ... if you don't feel secure in your employment (and let's face it ... is anyone's job really secure these days), what is the point of doing things well ... other than personal satisfaction, when any moment ... some guy at the top says "lose 50 people"?

Why would you work 40 hours a week to earn $5 or $10k more than the dole?  For some, it's all too easy to sit around all day and accept handouts AND still whinge about the lack of $ they get.  I'm sure they are more common than I'm willing to think, but I don't think they are a majority in the cues to hand in forms.

My take home pay isn't spectacular and the work is (only okay) not my dream job ... but it got me my CT and it gets me onto this forum each night (yes I'm addicted), it's paying off my house and I'm by no means poor or well off ... I "get by" due to some tricky budgeting and some genuine skills at cheap skating.  And I count myself lucky ... I survived a nationwide retrenchment in my company ... probably by the skin of my teeth.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
Yeah, not like the good old days when pregnant teens were whisked away to country 'holidays' and then returned months later as if nothing ever happened...

She does have a point though.  It's a waste of time.  If you were hiring and a 29 week pregnant teen applied, would you hire her?  Even if she is capable, you've only got her for 8 weeks at most.   

Chances are though, she probably wasn't in employment pre bun in oven....

Offline Bongo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 11:04:23 PM »
CES!

Yep! Yep! Yep!

Times have changed.

;D
Cheers,

Tom.

Offline DRB120

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »
I think the unfortunate reality is that a lot of young people are not in touch with reality, Only being 30 myself I can still remember the late 80's and early 90's with a self employed plumber for a father and times were tough and it was difficult for mum and dad to get by but we made do with what we had, then came the building boom of the mid to late 90's and all of sudden we had a new house and new things and the hard times were forgotten but we still didn't waste money.

Today young kids have grown up in the parents nice houses and had all the toys to go with it without having to see the struggles that their parents went through and believe life is easy. They don't want to start at the bottom and work there way up or buy an old house and renovate until they can get something else.

Im a lending manager for a bank and everyday I will see a young couple walk in, want to borrow 500K for a big house with 5 bedrooms, 2 lounge rooms and all the gadgets to go with it, most of the time they cant afford it but aren't interested in getting something older or smaller, they just want everything now and then whinge when it isn't handed to them. Work is the same, they don't want to start at the bottom and learn the proper way, they expect to walk through the door and get paid 100K.

Im hoping the last few years have taught people my age a few things that we all have to work smarter not harder and make do with out all the latest gadgets, and focus on the important things like keeping a stable job and working towards bigger and better things. There is always work out there for younger people if they look for it, it might just be something to give them skills to get the next job but its still work and still pays the bills.

I have no sympathy for young people of today as they are putting themselves in the position they are in, its not the governments fault or their parents fault, they all need to just step up and take some responsibility for the choices they have made. I have friends that are a similar age that ask how I afford to have a nice house, cars, a boat and camper while raising my 11 year old, they all get the same answer, I got off my a%se and worked hard for every bit of it, no handouts and none of it came easy.
2005 Prado 120 & 2013 Jawa Offshore 1

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:23:09 PM »
Over a hundred views and four replies.  Obviously I must have a very different point of view to a lot of people.

Kit_e, like you I make enough to get by one, not sure what will happen when interest rates start going back up.  Yes the Corporate world is getting greedy and wanting a bigger slice from a smaller pie.  They may also be a part of the job numbers.  But I am not sure the Corporate world is what concerns me with this teen.

Kylarama, yep who would take on a 29 week pregnant teen. 

daleb, it happens all to often.  We live in a shed and are happy.   

I reckon Centrelink don't really want her to get a job as much as it is part of their red tape to getting the centrelink payments and you just have to show you are searching for a job.  But that isn't what really concerns me.

I know it happens but we have a pregnant teen, who is applying for benefits, not because she has to but because she wants to.  From her comments it is not her that wants a job or looking for a job but her complaining that Centrelink is making her.  Sorry you make your bed you lie in your bed.  You know what your doing to get pregnant and you want someone else to take care of your pregnancy. 

Which leads to the next thing.  Where are the pregnant teens family, or his family to help the pregnant teen?

The old proverb of it takes a while village to raise a child has really fallen by the wayside.  Now it is a crappy place where everyone just looks after themselves, they can get themselves together and get work or let themselves go and get Centerlink to PAY them.  In saying that I know there are people that can't work and need Centerlink benefits. 

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:27:51 PM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:29:55 PM »
Yep, everyone has an opinion, and most prefer to keep it to themselves, especially on matters such as social welfare. Interesting read though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 03:23:52 AM »
I had to take my mum into Centrelink earier this year, never been there before. Bloody hell, just being in that place gave me the Shits. Not only did half the people in the long line look "dodgy"(yes, I just judged them by their looks/demeaner, also their loud and colourful language) the staff looked like zombies, no life or personality. Maybe that is how they become after dealing with these interesting characters all day. Don't get me started on the unsupervised kids running amuck...

That was enough to put me off ever thinking about attempting to get "benefits." If I never step into a Centrelink office again I will be a happy man...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 06:07:25 AM »
l went to Center link at 1 stage between GiGs , ended up using the ream of paper work to start a camp fire when l went camping . Best use yet  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
I think the unfortunate reality is that a lot of young people are not in touch with reality, Only being 30 myself I can still remember the late 80's and early 90's with a self employed plumber for a father and times were tough and it was difficult for mum and dad to get by but we made do with what we had, then came the building boom of the mid to late 90's and all of sudden we had a new house and new things and the hard times were forgotten but we still didn't waste money.

Today young kids have grown up in the parents nice houses and had all the toys to go with it without having to see the struggles that their parents went through and believe life is easy. They don't want to start at the bottom and work there way up or buy an old house and renovate until they can get something else.

Im a lending manager for a bank and everyday I will see a young couple walk in, want to borrow 500K for a big house with 5 bedrooms, 2 lounge rooms and all the gadgets to go with it, most of the time they cant afford it but aren't interested in getting something older or smaller, they just want everything now and then whinge when it isn't handed to them. Work is the same, they don't want to start at the bottom and learn the proper way, they expect to walk through the door and get paid 100K.

Im hoping the last few years have taught people my age a few things that we all have to work smarter not harder and make do with out all the latest gadgets, and focus on the important things like keeping a stable job and working towards bigger and better things. There is always work out there for younger people if they look for it, it might just be something to give them skills to get the next job but its still work and still pays the bills.

I have no sympathy for young people of today as they are putting themselves in the position they are in, its not the governments fault or their parents fault, they all need to just step up and take some responsibility for the choices they have made. I have friends that are a similar age that ask how I afford to have a nice house, cars, a boat and camper while raising my 11 year old, they all get the same answer, I got off my a%se and worked hard for every bit of it, no handouts and none of it came easy.
reading your reply reminds me of something i read on another forum http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-generation-y-yuppies-are-unhappy.html , we happened to briefly discuss this issue at the National Meet between a few campers there also. as discussed at the meet up, who really is to blame for the way the younger generation's attitude or expectations are? the kids don't just turn out this way on thier own, some of the blame has to lay at the way the kids have been brought up also IMHO.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
I can sympatise with the view that young people do not want to start at teh bottom and work their way up, my eldest son is very much of that attitude. As soon as soemthing happens at work that he doesn't like he is out of there.

Even 20 years ago I was involved in interviewing CES candidates (and yes it was CES back then) and they openly admited that they were just after the signature on the paperwork to prove they attended an interview, they were not really after the job. They would turn up in the most inappropriate clothing etc.. just incase you had any intention of actually giving them a job.

I have been looking for employment since late Jan of this year. I started out looking in my field of expertise, then have broadend the search to other fields utilising my management skills etc... At this point I am now applying for jobs at McDonalds, ALDIs and Bunnings.
I believe (and have had my resume and cover letters reviewed by recruitment agents, employers, english teachers etc...) that I am serious in my applications and point out that I understand that I will not be getting a six figure salary managing a team of global project managers etc.... but I want to start in a new industry and that means starting at the beginning again.

In the last 8 months I have got interviews for three jobs, two in IT and one not. Most of the time I just get the standard email back saying how many highly qualified applicants blah blah blah, that is if I get a response at all.

I am by no means perfect, but employers do not value the real world experience that I can bring to a job, managers are looking for "yes" people who will do what they are told without bothering to ask why they do it that way. I am happy to do what needs to be done, but I believe part of my job as an employee is to make sure that the business is operating in the most efective and efficient manner so yes I will question why something is done a particular way. I usually get three types of answers to these queries; a reasonable explaination as to why it is done; an unreasonable just do it because you were told; or an acknowledgement that there could be an improvement. Either way I will do what I am told, how I am told as long as it is legal and safe to do so.

In essecense what I am trying to say is that just because someone wants to work does not mean that they will get a job, for the entry level jobs there are heaps of young school leavers that they can pay less than me and not be given any feedback, for the higher level jobs there are others just as qualified as me that are also applying for the job.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »
some of the blame has to lay at the way the kids have been brought up also IMHO.

Agreed Rumpig, however I have three kids, two boys who are a couple of years apart and one girl who is much younger than the boys. Both boys were raised in a very similar fashion using all the parenting skills we had at the time. The eldest is a typical Gen Y the world owes me everything type of person who feels that he deserves the job that he wants etc... he works hard and often has more than one job going but will complain endlessly about not doing what he wants, not getting paid enough etc.. 
The other boy is totally different, willing to work hard and start at the bottom and work his way up. He is at Uni and is deperately trying to get some part time work to fund the uni lifestyle he would like to become acustomed to.

Parenting only has a partial influence on how a child turns out, peer groups etc. also have a large part in it. The eldest was a talented cricketer who ended up in a aports high school. The school treated the sports students like stars, they could do no wrong and even when they did their punishments couldn't affect their ability to participate in sports (my son copped a two day suspension because they had a cricket match on the Friday, the other who were caught with him copped a full weeks suspension). This attitude at school made home life very difficult as he felt he could continue on his untouchable persona at home as well. Suffice to say that was not the case, but it made for some VERY robust discussions.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »

Does anyone know of anyone hiring and willing to take on a 29week pregnant teen? Have to find a job and do interviewd til I'm 35 wks, only because centrelink is making me

It is a terrible thing to say on Facebook...."only because Centrelink is making me" oh dear.

I dont want to insult any younger swaggers but I'm most likely going to.....the younger generation is definitely different and I'm sure my parents said the same of my generation in the day.

But I dont see myself that far removed from my parents generation at all, not like the younger kids are from my generation. I wear my pants pulled up for a start, Im constantly telling my son to pull his up LOL

I have been accused of being old fashioned many times during my life and maybe I am and maybe thats why I don't see myself a lot different than my father for instance. He was a lot harder than me and thats about the only difference really.
The 20 odd year old people I know through work and socially definitely see a lot of things different to me. I dont want to tar all younger people with the same brush but in my experience they are a lot less respectful of everyone really, they dont respect their parents as they should, they dont respect authority or elders, they swear inappropriately and the biggest difference is they really lack self awareness, which shows in what that young lady wrote on Facebook.
They are often referred to as the handout generation and its a good description. I know a lot of a persons make up is due to their upbringing but a lot of it also seems to be the culture they are making for them selves as well.

I will use one of my children as an example because I feel I have tried my best to bring them up with some old fashioned values and as a rule they a generally polite and well mannered to others but the hand out culture hasnt missed them. They will ask for things thats just too much to ask for, yet when they are explained that what they are asking for is something you would get for a birthday or xmas or get a job and buy it yourself they are usually quick to point out a friend who's parents have bought it for them! So I tell them to hang around with families who are poor like us.... ;)

I could go on and on LOL
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 10:19:51 AM »
Parenting only has a partial influence on how a child turns out, peer groups etc. also have a large part in it.
totally agree with you Bunyip, hence why i made sure i wrote "some of the blame". i recall making the comment on the weekend when we were discussing this issue, that social media plays a large role in their expectations also. they are constantly bombarded with all their friends showing the latest and greatest thing they just aquired, and then feel unless they get it also their lives are poorer for going without.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 10:21:46 AM »
they are constantly bombarded with all their friends showing the latest and greatest thing they just aquired, and then feel unless they get it also their lives are poorer for going without.

Yep too true. We all like to help our kids out with their first car.....you know, some old Shit box thats safe but its cheap to buy. But their mates have mega dollar cars because their parents bought i for them. :(
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 10:24:42 AM »
Quote from: Bunyip
I am by no means perfect, but employers do not value the real world experience that I can bring to a job, managers are looking for "yes" people who will do what they are told without bothering to ask why they do it that way.
Thats this place down to the ground.. thoughtless drones... Tow the company line even if it means we are going down the Shitter faster than haleys comet.

I am going thru hell with Mr 13yr old, who thinks life will just happen and everything should be "fun" or a DS, Xbox, Computer Game, and ****in nothing to do with work or putting in effort...  The problem starts right at School, the education "Program" and the "Teachers" who are that far away from reality and the real world. It doesnt prepare you for the real world.  Not that it ever has.. and the world is gettin harder.

The Program just helps the school look good in once a year reports on the school itself - nothing to do with educating. Obviously worked out by some moron who feels for the little darlings... they all need to pass - cause its not fair if little Xjqytsdtfgt (pronounced Paul) fails. If he is a ****in moron and is failing then he needs help, not to have his marks seasonally adjusted so he doesnt fail and he feels better... Wheres that going to get you in the real world ??? ??? ???

School doesnt help, it took the worthless ****ing teachers at sons school 8 months to tell us he had done no homework - EIGHT MONTHS.... not 8 days or weeks. He now goes to a different school..

I dont know what the answers are, but its going to get Shit loads worse for decades before it gets better.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »

Yes it looks bad but before we comment shouldn't know the full story?

For instance she may have had a job, gotten pregant and be dumped by her employer?

Cheers
Leigh

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:28:25 PM by LeighW »
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline Draggin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 10:27:32 AM »
All great points and discussion and I largely agree.

My two daughters have turned out to have a great work ethic and do expect to have to work hard but they still want everything NOW.

Having said that - don't be dismayed by this apparent downturn in "the younger generation" - think back to what your grandparents were saying about your generation, history repeats and the doom and gloom won't necessarily come to pass.

More importantly, I have been working with a lot of young people lately and there are still some real gems among them, certainly still a lot of no-hopers but they are a judgmental lot (sound a bit like us on here actually) and are not shy about stating their opinions. Their opinions can lead to "bullying" which when I grew up usually meant you had to try harder to overcome the crap or find a nicer bunch of people to be around.

Anyway I don't think it will lead to the end of the world.

I'd love to be in position to say to that young "lady" - yeah - I'll give you a job and you can have a couple of months off for the birth then come back to work and I'll help you (TEACH YOU) to learn how to instill a healthy attitude in your child and give it a great start in life.

"Beneath the radiant Southern Cross"

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »

In the last 8 months I have got interviews for three jobs, two in IT and one not. Most of the time I just get the standard email back saying how many highly qualified applicants blah blah blah, that is if I get a response at all.

I am by no means perfect, but employers do not value the real world experience that I can bring to a job, managers are looking for "yes" people who will do what they are told without bothering to ask why they do it that way.

Hi Bunyip.  I guess our opinions are all based on our own experiences, so there is no right or wrong answer.  What I'll say though in response to your comments is based on my experience as a manager who hires the bulk of staff in a business that turns over 20M and employs 150 people. 

I personally don't employ people who are simply "yes" people. My employment stategy for hiring people is based on them having the appropriate qualifications and the right experience for the job.  It's a tough gig at the moment to get a job, with hundreds of people applying to any one job advert.  On this basis an employer currently has many choices when hiring and can actually find people that meet the required job criteria.  Unfortunately 80% of the job applications I receive are from people who don't have the ideal qualifications or experience, so in my opinion it's not the employers fault for offering a job to someone that actually meets or exceeds the position description and job requirements (including "life experience"), over someone that has "life experience" and no other perceived relevant skills or experience.

Is it an employers market at the moment?  Yep sure is, but that will all change, as it always does.  The employment game is cyclic.  Only three or so years ago I could barely get people to apply for the jobs advertised because there was so many positions for people to choose from, and people made the most of the skills shortage and demanded rediculous salaries before accepting the job too.  Now that unemployment is on the rise I have ex managing directors applying for positions typically filled by juniors and these same people are seemingly willing to work for next to nothing.... how things change!  I think it all just needs to be put into perspective in regards to where the economy and market is at currently, rather than making generalistations.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »
Regarding the youth and their assorted attitude, behavioural etc 'issues', started in the early to mid 1990s and has been festering away untethered ever since.  What happened in the 1990s that made such a change you may ask.  well that is when the do gooders of minority had introduced the Child Protection Policy.  Now I am all for protecting children from abuse and neglect but this went over board.  It has been allowed to go overboard to the point that "lawful chastisement" of a child is teetering on abolishment. 

A child's upbringing and education begin at home.  So when a government body begins to interfere with parents role of being parents and through the Schools the child is given some information and takes from that back to the parents and says, "If you hit me I will call the Police on you".  What do the parents do?  Apart from the 'Super Nanny', no one from the government body has given the full informative package of just what the Child Protection Policy is to the Parents, or would be parents and said, "this is what you can or can't do and this is what will be available to assist you is raising your children.   

Instead what we have, and I have personally seen, parents have adopted the believe, I am not allowed to smack my child.  I can't do anything, I can't handle this I am not doing anything to raise my child.  The child then learns behaviour from other children and goes to School, where many parents have the false belief their child will be taught right and wrong and will learn discipline.  None of these things are taught at School and by the time the child gets to School it is too late. 

So in 2013 what do we have.   We have kids born in 1995 who are now 18 yrs old, with numerous children of their own and still no idea of the values Community once had. 

On the other side we have parents who have loved their children and have had to show some hard love at times to teach their children  how to be a child of the Community they live in. 

Yes I am sterotypicalising but the examples I have given I have witnessed through my work and unfortunately continue to deal with families in the same situation. 

Another example for you, from not my side of the family, but the mother was not going to discipline her children and after watching Super Nanny introduced the 'Naughty Mat'.  One of her daughters was sent to the naughty mat and after sitting on the mat got bored so got back up and holding the Naughty Mat to her behind walked back to continue doing what ever it was she was doing.  The Mother on seeing this thought "how cute"  and allowed the child to continue doing it's thing.  What lesson was learnt there.  The Mother and her children no longer stay with us as I apply the 'My House My Rules' and had the audacity to say NO to her children.  They occasionally visit but don't stay now.  I wish I had of said earlier.  There is no happy ending with her children, they are now just right little ....... and run to Mummy when they don't get their way and Mummy stupidly takes up the fight.  These kids have not learned how to go about earning something, they have just learnt to expect it to be given and if not given go crying to Mummy.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:23:04 PM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »
Probably not...

This quote is attributed to Socrates.. (399BC)
Or sometimes to Freeman.. (1907)
Either way.... Both a while ago...

The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.

Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...
The following users thanked this post: Gandalf the White

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »
so in my opinion it's not the employers fault for offering a job to someone that actually meets or exceeds the position description and job requirements (including "life experience"), over someone that has "life experience" and no other perceived relevant skills or experience.

I entirely agree with you, and an employer would be negligent to their other staff and the business owners (be it private or public) not to employ the best person for the job.

As an employment seeker I can only go by what the job advert is asking for, and some are fairly (possibly deliberately) vague in their requirements. As I said the first few months was spent applying for jobs that on the face of it I was qualified for, with appropriate experience and knowledge. Even when applying for these jobs I almost never even got a phone interview. I understand that there may have been better qualified people for the role, and that is expected in most instances, I just feel that especially now I am applying for base level roles where no real qualifications are asked for. Without blowing my own trumpet so to speak I would be a bargin for some of these companies over the new into the real world high school graduates and I could give some real value to an organisation.

Oh well, as you said it is an employers market so I will keep on applying. It would be nice (and I always did when I was employing someone) acknowledge all applications as received and let unsuccessful applicants know, espcially those that I had spoken to over the phone or interviewed.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »

Oh well, as you said it is an employers market so I will keep on applying. It would be nice (and I always did when I was employing someone) acknowledge all applications as received and let unsuccessful applicants know, espcially those that I had spoken to over the phone or interviewed.

I guess in an ideal world it would be nice to respond to every single person that applies for a job advert, or applies for work experience or even just queries employment opportunities.  I use to, but as the volume of applications now amounts to hundreds at a time it's just not practical anymore.  Not only for this reason, but as often gets alluded to, a lot of people aren't happy just receiving a "standard" letter/email of reply stating they were unsuccessful, the expect something more "personal".  You're damned if you do, damned if you don't with some people.  I will always give a person some feedback if they give me a follow up phone call on a position they have applied for, or if they drop by our office in person to ask. But time limitations basically restrict me from responding to every single applicant, and I'm sure this is the same with a lot of other employers in the current economic climate.

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »
A lot it comes down to family values. A relative just had there first child at the age of 45, lol , that poor kid will miss  out on the time spent with grandparents and having cousins in the same age group and being taught other ways of dealing with lifes diversities that she will only learn through her school years and from her nimrod parents which is a dam shame.

I'm sure only a few would know the pregnate teens back ground  and how she was raised but I always get a laugh how most people believe that there is any quality of life while being on some form of centrelink benefit and everyone seems to jump on the 'bludger' bandwagon.If you think your missing out on the great lifestyle that being on benefits provides to people GO AND TRY IT ,,Personally I fell sorry for her.

I have always had the ability to work and always have but it would only take falling ill or an injury and i'm sure most of us would have to hit up centerlink for some type of reliefe and then get classed as the 'dole buldger' as most people these days tend to take others at face value only. Find out someones story and then see if you can make the same face value judgement. If I was an  uneducated unskilled pregnate teen my first priority would be the baby and I'm sure most of us on here in our teenage yrs in the heat of the moment could have ended up with a 9month suprise.

All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips