Author Topic: 2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase, Sunshine Coast hinterland  (Read 8962 times)

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Hello all, now that I finally have a CT - and some pics of it, I know how it is with forums  ;D - it's time to do the intro. Warning, I do long intros...

I've been here for a while, just learning and occasionally sticking my nose in here and there. This is a very good informative forum and its members do it proud.

Last year I picked up a 2008 Patrol to do some camping and touring with my family - wife, 7yo daughter, 4yo son, 3yo daugher. I'll be honest, I didn't want to tow a CT and so went all-out to make the Patrol a self-sufficent tent-camping machine. It has: ARB bar, Tigerz11 winch, 2" OME lift, front and rear Air Lockers, custom sliders, Safari snorkel, IC fan mod, dual batteries, upgraded headlight wiring with Phillips +80% globes, Baja Designs 35w HID spot/spread combo, Steinbauer module and 3" exhaust. Cooper 33" (285/70R17) STTs have been great but are about to be replaced by BFG KM2s in the same size.

In the back is the 60 litre Waeco, a watertank, and soon some drawers built into a custom rack/cargo barrier. Up front is a Dept Of The Interior dash pod with GME3220+speaker, Autometer EGT and boost gauges, Scangauge II, turbo timer and Parrot bluetooth. We use a very basic GPS at the moment but a serious off-road capable unit is on the way. Going to need some sort of media system for the longer trips too, for parental sanity  >:D

Up top is the full length rack and Ironman 2m x 2.5m awning. It will eventually get a steel rear bar and longrange tank. The interior ventilation is horrendous for rear seat passengers so I have some plans to fix that as well.

Anyway, that is the tug, as I believe it should be called... now onto the trailer.

Setting the tug up with no thoughts of a CT severely depleted the budget I'd set out when we decided we wanted to travel. So when I started to understand the constraints of a wagon with 3 kids worth of gear to take, I began looking at CTs in the $7k-10k range... that soon crept up to $12k-15k when I learnt what was necessary for a reasonably outback-proof base. I desperately wanted a Trackabout but missed a few extremely good ones, Camel's Bushman was also on the shortlist, and then I discovered staircase trailers  :-* Crikey, now we're over $15k... at this point I started to think about building a CT - I have an uncle who is a gun welder, and - conveniently - unemployed due to injury and living 5 minutes from me. Downloaded plans from www.trailerplans.com, started pricing the parts and tools we'd need - it was going to be a full length steel chassis with aluminium body. And then one evening, about 3 weeks after I'd decided to build but before I'd spent a cent, a 2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase appeared in a couple of the classified sites I was checking twice a day, and the next morning it was mine. The price was excellent - I didn't bother to haggle - and the trailer is in great condition.

It is the usual Jimboomba Duragal full length chassis with aluminium body, eye-to-eye leaf springs with helper springs, triple drawbar with spare on it, dual jockey wheels (I think someone realised the standard little one was useless and just added a bigger one without ditching the little one). 85 litre watertank, 2 x 4.5kg gas bottle holders, 1 x jerrycan holder, 1 x lockable external box, internal pole carrier, rear recovery point/bike carrier mount. Tare weight is 550kg, so while it has drum brakes fitted they are for the handbrake only. It currently has a road hitch as the PO didn't go offroad, although he supplied an offroad hitch with it - I plan to use something different though, and the OzHitch has currently got my attention, thoughts on it are welcomed!

The tailgate kitchen has pushbutton three-burner stove, sink with flip-up 12v tap and a dual-level extended benchtop that hangs off the end of the kitchen unit. The 12v battery is only small - 60Ah - and not connected to the car at all, although there are three sockets and wiring to the sink tap switch. The PO just used to charge it at home and it would do him for weekends, running lights and the tap.

The tent is 9' x 15'. The main tent and awning are original and in perfect shape, with zip-out floor (great feature). 6" foam mattress, fairly firm, with gas-strut bedlift, vertical walls around bed (nice), internally zipped flaps etc. The PO had additional canvas made up only 12 months ago - full annex walls, and another 8' annex to go off the first one, so there's plenty of canvas!

Future plans are many and include electric brakes, drawbar storage, a more serious battery system with feed from the tug, LED strip lights on the tent bows (already got 4 x 24" ones ready to go), dual batteries, solar connectivity, stone guard, and more. At some point I might look into independent suspension.

I've already made the first mod - the same week I got it, I also picked up four GU IV alloy wheels and within a week will have BFG KM2s on all 8 wheels across the Patrol and trailer, got a big trolleyjack so 5000km rotation of all 8 wheels should see good mileage. Straight bolt-on, and look much better than the 15" white sunnies it had. Might need to lengthen the rear spring shackle to give decent travel with the 33" muddies on it, have been corresponding with JT about this (and a new tonneau) as we may need to mod the tent floor too.

OK, long intro done, pics next (lost my copy/paste function so will reboot and then post the pics).

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:39:01 AM by Squalo »
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: 2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase, Sunshine Coast hinterland
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:36:39 PM by Squalo »
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:28:03 PM »

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:37:10 PM by Squalo »
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline waz65

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:40:11 PM »
Very nice Squalo ,enjoy
2000 Patrol TD4.2T with heaps of stuff
2007 Bayside Campers Offroad CT with mods

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:40:47 PM »
Hi Squalo,

Welcome, officially, to the forum  :cheers:

I can't believe that camper is 2nd hand - it looks in mint condition and the matching GU wheels set it off nicely.

Look forward to hearing of some of your travelling adventures in the new set up!

Offline way-t-go

• Tent User
    • Our Camper Trailer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:46:36 PM »
Welcome and what a great setup (tug and CT).

Gary
2009 'MDC' Off Road Deluxe Camper with more mods than you can poke a stick at.
2010 Mitsubishi PB Challenger Auto

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 11:23:27 PM »
Cheers guys

Yes John it is in remarkable condition, and in those pics I'd washed it with a pressure washer, then it rained on the trip home to Palmwoods and it's actually coated in a film of grime from the spray off the Patrol... you need sunnies to look at it when it's completely clean, although it's definitely weathered compared to a new Jimboomba. The aluminium under the bed base is like a mirror (as Jimboombas are when new). I might get it to a buffed alloy look with steel wool then clear-coat it with Nyalic, we'll see. Higher priorities first.

G'day Waz  8) Lee and StumpyGU both have CTs and we have talked about an overnighter at a campground at Glasshouse Mtns with a bit of driving either side of it, will keep you informed.

Will get the tent up at the end of the week and post more pics.
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline D4D Wok

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:51:29 AM »
Hi Squalo. Mate you will love the Maddison as we do. Took ours out for the maiden voyage in 2 in of rain and came through without a drop inside. Hope you enjoy and welcome :cheers:

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 06:07:49 AM »
Hi Squalo and welcome to My Swag, very very nice CT mate :cup:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »
Welcome to My Swag fellow Queenslander nice intro and setup looking forward to hearing more about your mods (with pics ) enjoy. :cheers:

Offline waz65

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »
I've already made the first mod - the same week I got it, I also picked up four GU IV alloy wheels and within a week will have BFG KM2s on all 8 wheels across the Patrol and trailer, got a big trolleyjack so 5000km rotation of all 8 wheels should see good mileage. Straight bolt-on, and look much better than the 15" white sunnies it had. Might need to lengthen the rear spring shackle to give decent travel with the 33" muddies on it, have been corresponding with JT about this (and a new tonneau) as we may need to mod the tent floor too.

OK, long intro done, pics next (lost my copy/paste function so will reboot and then post the pics).

Hey Squalo , did you have any problems with the tent reaching the ground when you put the patrol wheels on the CT and if so how did you get around it ? as I'm looking at doing the same wheels/tyres as my patrol , alot easier than 16" on the patrol and 15" on the CT
Cheers
Waz
P.S. i'm keen for a glasshouse mtns overnighter if i'm not working
2000 Patrol TD4.2T with heaps of stuff
2007 Bayside Campers Offroad CT with mods

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
Hi Waz,

I haven't got to that yet :) but so far so good - wheels were a straight bolt-on and offset is good, plenty of inner guard clearance. I might have to extend the rear spring shackle once the 33" KM2s go on, am waiting for the tyres before I tackle the tent side of things. The good thing is that the Jimboomba tent has a zip-out floor so if modification is needed it's a lot simpler.

But based on how it seems to have been designed for the Patrol wheels I have a hunch that the tent is going to be cool and the gang - and maybe all that will be needed will be to extend the lower flaps of the canvas. Fingers crossed. Here's one of the previous owners pics showing the tent up:

1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Old Croc + plus one

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 05:54:12 PM »
Hi Squalo
Nice new and shiny Happy Trails with your Camper
Ford Ranger 2006

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 06:24:24 PM »
G'day & Welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to write such an excellent introduction, it was a good read.

What is the offroad hitch the PO supplied?

The one omission seems to be a stone guard. I can recommend the Stone Stomper as a good solution, saves the camper and the tug.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 11:17:13 PM »
Thanks gents

Big Jules, I am still learning about hitches - just had a look at mine then Google Images told me it is an Orac. Looking at it I don't think I'd want to have to try to reconnect an Orac in offroad conditions if I'd had to take the CT off during a recovery.

I had a good look at a DO35 last week - nice unit. But am leaning towards an OzHitch at the moment.

Thanks for the Stone Stomper tip - I'd seen them but didn't know what they were called, I reckon they are a top idea.

1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline carinya

• Tent User
  • Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 11:53:17 PM »
Welcome, sounds like you are in love, sort of.  Happy camping.
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 12:54:59 AM »
Welcome, sounds like you are in love, sort of.  Happy camping.

Thanks Carinya, are you my wife?   8)  She caught me standing in the garage tonight admiring the new trailer... and here I am at 1am researching CT farkles... but I was like this with the Patrol too, and my mountainbike, and my motorcycles... it wears off, eventually.

I have a 1969 Kombi to restore soon, that one is going to burn a lot of internet hours  ;D
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline D4D Wok

• Swag User
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 04:44:03 AM »
We have the D035 fitted to our camper. great hitch and easy to hook up. Would highly recomend

Offline stumpyray

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 05:57:36 AM »
Hey Squalo, that is one pretty neat camper you bought, I realy like the new style of the walk through c/t's.
Looks like there's heaps of room in it for you guy's.
Can't wait to see more pics of it .
A mate of mine had Jimboomba Campers manfacture a camper for the back of his ute about 4 years ago now,
it still looks like new today. he is very happy with it.

Ps, welcome to the forum .

Cheers, Ray.
Our Breakaway two plus.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=50660.0
My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/GUSTUMPY

Offline toddy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »
Hey Squalo, awesome CT, I say this cause we also have the Maddison (no walk way though unfortunately  :'( not enough funds)

Had ours for about 8 months now and love it, they are great builds by Jimboomba, tough and light, It's great that I can push it around on grass loaded up.

Hope you get to use heaps.

Cheers,
Toddy
Toddy...
2006 GXL Prado :: Silver :: ARB Dual Battery System :: DIY rear sockets :: Tekonsha P3 :: Pradopoint Sticker ::
2010 Maddison Off Road Jimboomba CT :: DIY 12V system :: DIY Electric Water Pump ::

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
Another big recommendation for the DO35 here, ours is on the front of a big Lifestyle Extenda, so similar camper length & weight etc.

Mrs S hitches it up herself after I reverse back (she's a miniscule 50-odd Kgs!!). A high tolerence so you just need to get the vehicle remotely close and just wiggle the trailer over and wind down the jockey wheel and drop it on. Plus they're now lockable, and based on the FNQ/Cape test videos on their website it looks as tough as nuts in the field..

We've also got the VC handbrake on ours. Top notch products all round..

Those Maddisons look pretty slick. Walkthroughs are brilliant, wouldn't have a CT without it!

Offline farmer6

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »

Hi Squalo

Welcome to the forum. Great to see another Jimboomba camper. Thats 2 more in the last week. We also have one we got about a year ago and are very happy with everything about the trailer. Terry, Sue and the team certainly know their stuff. We just use some aluminium polish to keep it shinny and new looking and it works a treat.

We have the DO 35 hitch on ours and also would highly recomend it. I also just back up the wagon and our son hooks it up.

You will certainly enjoy the room and comfort of a camper after camping with the wagon.

farmer6
2006 100 series landcruiser wagon

2010 Jimboomba Camper

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »
Hi Squalo

Welcome to the forum. Great to see another Jimboomba camper. Thats 2 more in the last week. We also have one we got about a year ago and are very happy with everything about the trailer. Terry, Sue and the team certainly know their stuff. We just use some aluminium polish to keep it shinny and new looking and it works a treat.

We have the DO 35 hitch on ours and also would highly recomend it. I also just back up the wagon and our son hooks it up.

You will certainly enjoy the room and comfort of a camper after camping with the wagon.

farmer6

Terry & Sue eh.. I should disclose that he is a distant cousin of mine.. I actually didn't know they built them until AFTER I purchased from Lifestyle.. I copped a bit of a ribbing at the last family xmas party as a result!!

Offline farmer6

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »

Terry & Sue eh.. I should disclose that he is a distant cousin of mine.. I actually didn't know they built them until AFTER I purchased from Lifestyle.. I copped a bit of a ribbing at the last family xmas party as a result!!

They are a great couple and we are proud to say we are good friends.

Knowing Terry I can imagine the ribbing you would have recieved, particually after a few green cans.  ;D

farmer6
2006 100 series landcruiser wagon

2010 Jimboomba Camper

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »
Thanks guys! I believe my trailer would have been built when the original owner had Jimboomba CTs, but I have talked to Terry a few times at camping equipment shows while shortlisting brands.

I had a look at the vids on the OzHitch site, it looks good. And Norman has an ebay special atm for the zinc-coated one, $277 - he says I can pick it up from him at Coolum.

My favourite camping shop is Camping Country at Maroochydore and Jarrod's price on the DO35 is about $280.

So, nothing in it really. I won't decide till I get the MTs on the trailer in a week or so, as it will go up a little more - and then I can work out the appropriate drawbar location for the hitch.

Farmer6 I'd looked at your topics here in the past, that's a hell of a trailer you have. And just this morning read your trip report in Camper Trailer Touring No.20 - inspiring stuff!

1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42