Author Topic: Mobile phone reception at the Cape  (Read 3503 times)

Offline McGirr

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Mobile phone reception at the Cape
« on: November 02, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »
If you need to be in contact with loved ones, girlfriends, mistresses, ex wife's ( sorry had to add that) mobile reception is patchy.

I carry a prepaid Telstra phone and can get signals at cooktown, coen, and the Cape. You may pickup the odd signal here and there. I also had an IPhone 4 with optus and got a signal at cooktown and at Seisa caravan park as well as the Cape it self. iPhone 3 does not pickup with
Optus.

Tim had his satphone which he got a signal in most places. He may bring it next year for safety precautions such as ordering a pizza or flying in kfc....

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
Re: Mobile phone reception at the Cape
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 05:39:03 PM »
If you need to be in contact with loved ones, girlfriends, mistresses, ex wife's ( sorry had to add that) mobile reception is patchy.

I carry a prepaid Telstra phone and can get signals at cooktown, coen, and the Cape. You may pickup the odd signal here and there. I also had an IPhone 4 with optus and got a signal at cooktown and at Seisa caravan park as well as the Cape it self. iPhone 3 does not pickup with
Optus.

Tim had his satphone which he got a signal in most places. He may bring it next year for safety precautions such as ordering a pizza or flying in kfc....

Mark

Dont they deliver beer?
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Offroad 4x4 Accessories

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:51:23 PM »
The sat phone was with us this year for emergencies only- Like if we ran out of beer. Im so glad yogi knows how to pack, Beer first  then what ever else can fit in

Offline Glenno

• Tent User
  • Happy when I'm in the red dirt!
Mobile phone reception at the Cape
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:58:34 AM »
Easier to put the word out here than whilst on the trip

We carry a Sat phone with us, so will have one for the trip.  Any of those emergency pizza orders can be negotiated!

Offline duncanhjblack

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »
Telstra Next G works well in Weipa, then I got a signal at Bamaga and Seisia.. also good signal on the beach at Punsand Bay. Thursday Island OK as well.. nothing anywhere else even with Next G bumper mounted antenna