Author Topic: Sniper X  (Read 5958 times)

Offline Niley

• Tent User
Sniper X
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »
Just checking if anyone on the forum has one of these, or any thoughts on them. Am considering one, however no internal shower or toot (outside shower). The demo is on offer at a good price, however I am concerned about the resale price due to the missing facility plus the flood of 13, 14 and 15 ft hybrids coming from O/S.

Are the Hybrids heading in the same direction we have been witnessing with CTs over the years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=17&v=iJrW-XiTht8&ebc=ANyPxKpKeZKZ9Wiga5lbmzuIrFldM4g8vvh3JDIiIVF6F94waBxftE1460tmzYlnrOt8bWR2ILeOzuL7dr_tS68m5uzaFxT35g
Landcruiser Prado & ?????

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Sniper X
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:15:05 PM »
Don't own one but have admired the demo at an ARB open day at North Lakes that has been kitted out with the ARB drawers etc. It was a quality unit but no bathroom would stop us buying one but that is only because our next van will have a bathroom. The owner said they were working on a bathroom model. Maybe this is why they are moving on this model.
The SniperX range are manufactured by North Coast Campers from Caloundra but you most likely seen them there given you are nearby at Moffat Beach.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:17:56 PM by rags »
The following users thanked this post: Niley

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:30:18 PM »
Nice copy of the Lifestyle Reconn, but not keen on the rear entry . Not unless you can leave the rear hatch up and there still be a door to close as well.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:54:37 PM »
........but not keen on the rear entry . Not unless you can leave the rear hatch up and there still be a door to close as well.

There is a separate door, Gronk.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 09:12:55 PM »
Same as I've got on mine, the rear tailgate becomes an annex and the camper is still fully enclosed

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 01:58:15 AM »
There are plenty of Jayco's (swans etc) that don't have an ensuite and still have great resale, if it was a Caravan I think it would be a bigger concern than with a camper/hybrid.

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »
We have the Lifestyle Reconn which as others have said is remarkably similar to the Sniper X. We have no toilet or internal shower (although they were optional). We carry a throw up tent we can use for the external shower and if we need it we carry a toilet. Our most recent adventure was 4 months travelling pretty remotely and I think we enjoyed the extra space afforded by not having the internal facilities more than if we had them. The Sniper X looks pretty robust but it is about $30k over what we paid 3 years ago for the Reconn. It is about the same weight and dimensions and the extras are the same - we also have the 80l Evakool fridge. My vehicle sits at exactly 2m and so does the Reconn so wind resistance is minimal. Resale doesn't seem to be an issue from my observations at this stage but I take your point. This area of the market is not yet fully developed so it may well prove to be a hindrance. Whilst resale is always a consideration I think it pales a little as we age and the "enjoyment while we can" factor takes precedence.
Good luck with your decision.
The following users thanked this post: stephenh1235

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 08:19:34 AM »
I know it must be difficult to come up with names BUT "Sniper X"??  I think I'd be too embarassed :-[

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 08:43:30 AM »
Quote from: Niley
however I am concerned about the resale price due to the missing facility plus the flood of 13, 14 and 15 ft hybrids coming from O/S
How long you plan on keeping it??  Its not like your buying it for 12mths then flogging it... or?

Why worry bout it, if it does what you want and itsx in your budget, just buy the ****in thing and enjoy it!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Niley

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 12:30:53 PM »
We have the Lifestyle Reconn which as others have said is remarkably similar to the Sniper X. We have no toilet or internal shower (although they were optional). We carry a throw up tent we can use for the external shower and if we need it we carry a toilet. Our most recent adventure was 4 months travelling pretty remotely and I think we enjoyed the extra space afforded by not having the internal facilities more than if we had them. The Sniper X looks pretty robust but it is about $30k over what we paid 3 years ago for the Reconn. It is about the same weight and dimensions and the extras are the same - we also have the 80l Evakool fridge. My vehicle sits at exactly 2m and so does the Reconn so wind resistance is minimal. Resale doesn't seem to be an issue from my observations at this stage but I take your point. This area of the market is not yet fully developed so it may well prove to be a hindrance. Whilst resale is always a consideration I think it pales a little as we age and the "enjoyment while we can" factor takes precedence.
Good luck with your decision.
Thanks Rowlie, we like the Reccon, however find the bed a bit high, if we were younger then not a problem, plus the fact second hand now 4 years old are pulling the same price purchased. We have been looking at Vans but just to big and high and the AOR Quantum about 4 year old are in the mid 70's and hard to justify. Really like this and like you said having the outside shower offers extra space. The outside shower is huge so thats a plus over a tiny cubicle with a loo in the way. The big plus we like is the outside kitchen that's within the trailer (like the Reccon) which offers a huge area under the awing unhindered as compared to other hybrids with slide outs.

Cheers

Neil

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 12:48:32 PM »
there are plenty of AORs available (depending on how flexible you are on age)

Eclipse
- https://goo.gl/mRvF2k

at a lower price point.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »
I know it must be difficult to come up with names BUT "Sniper X"??  I think I'd be too embarassed :-[
Its a pretty interesting looking trailer, the rear entry design makes for good use of space. But the name is terrible, if I was in the market for one I'd be ordering it without the stickers.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
Its a pretty interesting looking trailer, the rear entry
I think the rear entry is how they got the name LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 06:13:50 PM »

"Thanks Rowlie, we like the Reccon, however find the bed a bit high, if we were younger then not a problem, plus the fact second hand now 4 years old are pulling the same price purchased."

We are in our 60s and find the bed height isn't an issue. We don't use the step system but its there if we wanted to. The elevated bed is great for catching a breeze at night. Yeah I've seen some of the 2nd hand prices. Not sure if they are getting them though.

Rowlie
The following users thanked this post: Niley

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
I could only watch the first 30secs of the video - it was making me dizzy!!  Whoever edited that should be shot!

Offline Niley

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »
Well the Sniper X has now been eliminated with the pros, cons and cost assessment. Just met with the builder of our choice and deposit to go down Monday for the build.

Will post up what we have selected plus upgrades in the Crossover section next week.

Happy wife now, internal ensuite !!

And they will have it ready in time for the National Meet. 😀😀

The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

KingBilly

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 07:12:32 AM »
Will post up what we have selected plus upgrades in the Crossover section next week.

Look forward to your post.  Congrats

KB

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 07:48:48 AM »
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
I cant believe the ridiculous prices these hybrids are going for. A fibreglass box , produced en-masse and $60,000.....What a crock!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 11:22:39 AM »
I cant believe the ridiculous prices these hybrids are going for. A fibreglass box , produced en-masse and $60,000.....What a crock!
agree.. but its the latest buzz word..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »
I feel there is more to it than just the initial buy price.

Manufacturing, Warranty, resale, advice, research and development, labour, parts, safety, insurance etc etc. All this has a cost associated. Yes they are expensive but they are also not targeting people wanting to rough it entirely either.

Is up to the individual.

Wants v Needs v Budget

Cheers

Justin
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 01:39:10 PM »
I feel there is more to it than just the initial buy price.

Manufacturing, Warranty, resale, advice, research and development, labour, parts, safety, insurance etc etc. All this has a cost associated. Yes they are expensive but they are also not targeting people wanting to rough it entirely either.

Is up to the individual.

Wants v Needs v Budget

Spot on, build a brand and you will command additional dollars, think of all the major brand names in the world, most command a premium price. How did they get to be premium brand, pretty much by doing everything JD 120 said plus marketing and advertising to create demand.

if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »

I had a look at a Sniper today at the Moreton Bay Camping Expo and cannot justify the cost. The same, unfortunately, with the Spinifex Atomix on show. A 15' pop top with customer extras for $114k. Start around $88k. I was interested in this model but became disinterested quite quickly.
Don't get me wrong, both these units are built like brick dunnies and are the real deal, if money is not an issue.
God, there was some "Ordinary" stuff there too.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Niley

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 03:33:00 PM »
It's all about an individuals needs and wants. From what we have looked we needed a well built camper with a hard roof, shower, toot, good kitchen and storage. This is what we wanted. It needed to be strong, well built and capable of going off road. It needed to be light enough for 2.5 ATM and be able to fit in our garage of no more than 2.4m high. This eliminates a high proportion of trailers.

Could have gone a van (leave outside) but off-roaders start in the 50s (hybrids less) and these are made in China and assembled in Oz. There is risk associated with these units and I personally want to enjoy touring Oz with the limited leave I have each year rather than in a workshop attending to repairs, hence have bought an Aussie made trailer knowing full well it will serve us and built to Australian standards.

Those that believe these units are too expensive I do agree with, however only above the 70k range, ie AOR, CC etc

At the end of the day you get what you pay for, or just stick to your current 10 yr old CT.

Cheers

Niley

Oh BTW sold the Modcon today 500 less than the advertised price, what a weekend!

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 03:33:48 PM »
The market will dictate.
What was the asking price of top of the range KK? Prob similar.

I remember when I was looking at a new lifestyle soft floor 5 yrs ago, they wanted 25k for that. Be lucky to sell that second hand for 7k now, and would take six months to move it.

In 3 years time everyone will move back to swags and the hybrid market will be shot ;)

Cheers

Justin