Author Topic: Kings new camper trailer.  (Read 11344 times)

Offline Moxley

• Tent User
Re: Kings new camper trailer.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 09:31:18 PM »
I had a look at one at the new Brendale store the day.  Not impressed.  The trailer without out any options is just an overpriced trailer with lots of gimmicky single purpose features.  If you want to sleep on it, that's an option, want a kitchen ( a useless one at that), that's an option etc etc.
That said, I'm just not a fan of the camping trailer concept - especially the over the top bling trailers of Patriot - all form, no function.
Probably only need a well made Australian heavy duty trailer fitted out a bit?  Those ex Army ones look pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 06:27:18 AM »
i like the concept. Ive always looked at those roof top tents and thought yeah great, but when you want to go out for the day, you need to pack up if its ontop of your rig. Setup like this is pretty sweet. heaps of functionalty + seemingly easy setup.

Bit of best of both worlds for a travelling couple.
Cheers

Justin

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2020, 06:31:17 AM »
i like the concept. Ive always looked at those roof top tents and thought yeah great, but when you want to go out for the day, you need to pack up if its ontop of your rig. Setup like this is pretty sweet. heaps of functionalty + seemingly easy setup.

Climb up into one first
There's not a lot of room
And what scares me is slipping on the ladder in the midle of the night when nature calls ending up hanging from a broken leg on the ladder  :-[
If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 06:36:03 AM »
yeah the dunny run in the middle of the night, in the rain would deffo suck big time, agreed. you make a good point about the climb up etc, there is probably a very limited age bracket this would appeal to
Cheers

Justin

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 07:01:12 AM »
 there is probably a very limited age bracket this would appeal to
[/quote]

Year unfortunatly I think I've passed it  :-[
If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 07:03:44 AM »
lol we probably all have.

Cheers

Justin

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 07:17:03 AM »
lol we probably all have.
There’s still a few of us left in here that are many years away from caravan purchasing age..... :P
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline scrubber

• Swag User
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 08:10:25 AM »
There’s still a few of us left in here that are many years away from caravan purchasing age.....
I'm still a few years away from this step into hell.  One thing that I'm sure of is that there is zero chance of me ever buying a caravan - hate the things with a passion.   I do however see myself in a 4x4 truck with 4 solid walls around me.  All the comforts of home and not towing anything.  I'd even consider an Oka repowered with a Cummins 6BT.
“Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong.” George Carlin

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 08:39:47 AM »
We all want different ways to set up camp which is cool, but in my opinion this is just an expensive builders trailer with a roof top tent. 

I’m also pretty confident you can set up a soft floor camper which gives more unable space in the same time as this set up with the room below.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2020, 09:14:48 AM »

Rooftop tents Not for me at my age. But kings sell a lot of them if what I saw in a recent short trip away is any guide.

Each to his own.

Offline grunf

• Tent User
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2020, 09:16:18 AM »
yeah the dunny run in the middle of the night, in the rain would deffo suck big time, agreed. you make a good point about the climb up etc, there is probably a very limited age bracket this would appeal to

Juice bottle  :cheers: ?

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2020, 09:25:50 AM »
Juice bottle  :cheers: ?

Yeah but just don't wake up dehydrated and grab that juice bottle for a drink  :o
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2020, 09:35:14 AM »
There’s still a few of us left in here that are many years away from caravan purchasing age..... :P
🙋

Yep, if you would consider a caravan, this isn't for you, If you are worried about midnight wee walks, safe to say you are not in the target age bracket for this trailer.

I suspect these will mostly sell to those in their 20's & 30's who are pre kids.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:57:45 PM by tryagain »

Offline 2Strokeit

• Tent User
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2020, 11:22:17 AM »
We moved from swags into a RTT over 10 years ago. Packing/set up every day  suits our touring style and when in groups we are eating first at the end of the day and waiting in the morning.
Early morning toilet run is not that much of a drama, no missed steps yet. Wet thongs left at the bottom of the stairs after rain is more annoying.
I hate the idea of towing a van so the wife bribed me into accepting old age by buying a 500hp ML63 to tow a small van to alternate blacktop/gravel loops of OZ while keeping the 80 series RTT for the gravel.
Pics.. Canarvon  Gorge  on a company car.
Punsand Bay on slug.
OTT on previous 80.

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2020, 11:48:47 AM »
nice easy setup, I like it!! :cup:
Cheers

Justin

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »
Bloke in our club came on one of my Robe trips one year.. brilliant setup... rooftop tent with massive walls and lots of them.. he had 5 kids...

Then the next morning bright and early to beat the tids we were going for a drive.. wait hour for him to pack up..
Get back to 'camp' that night, start setting up again.

Next day going for a drive, he gave up and stayed in the caravan park.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline 2Strokeit

• Tent User
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2020, 01:27:39 PM »
Bloke in our club came on one of my Robe trips one year.. brilliant setup... rooftop tent with massive walls and lots of them.. he had 5 kids...

Then the next morning bright and early to beat the tids we were going for a drive.. wait hour for him to pack up..
Get back to 'camp' that night, start setting up again.
Why pack the walls? Mark your tyres outline then fold the top over, zip up and go! Park in the same spot then reattach. It doesn't have to be that difficult.
A friend was pieved with his set up time and timed me over a 7 day group trip. 4 mins average set up with no walls.
10 mins pack up average no walls. I'm not a morning person.
That includes the green  origami tent packed under the cover.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 01:31:09 PM by 2Strokeit »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2020, 03:19:33 PM »
Quote from: 2Strokeit
Why pack the walls? Mark your tyres outline then fold the top over, zip up and go! Park in the same spot then reattach. It doesn't have to be that difficult.
Dunno, I just drove off leaving the camper behind.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2020, 03:57:04 PM »
A friend was pieved with his set up time and timed me over a 7 day group trip. 4 mins average set up with no walls.
10 mins pack up average no walls. I'm not a morning person.
That includes the green  origami tent packed under the cover.

yep, just got to learn the tricks. We got pretty good setting up and packing down our soft floor camper. 4 mins is awesome. the more storage you got the more crap you tend to take increasing both setup and packup times
Cheers

Justin

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2020, 04:06:19 PM »
I don't mind the idea of the King's setup (except the $$$)
I find out softfloor is too big at times.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 
The following users thanked this post: rossm

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2020, 04:24:37 PM »
I don't mind the idea of the King's setup (except the $$$)
I find out softfloor is too big at times.

Tent wise or overall size? one thing Patriot have marketed well is "being compact" in reality, they are pretty similar to most softfloors footprint.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2020, 04:31:04 PM »
Quote from: JD-120
yep, just got to learn the tricks. We got pretty good setting up and packing down our soft floor camper. 4 mins is awesome. the more storage you got the more crap you tend to take increasing both setup and packup times
I reckon most soft floors once the trailer is unhitched, legs down (as with any trailer) most wouldnt take much more than 5 mins for the tent to be up.
LS had a video of the explorer + being up in 1 min once legs were down and travel cover undone with 2 people..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2020, 08:27:37 PM »
Tent wise or overall size? one thing Patriot have marketed well is "being compact" in reality, they are pretty similar to most softfloors footprint.
Tent size, we have 12 foot.  My son sleeps in a swag, so just me, the wife and daughter.  Lot of room just to sleep.

2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Mitch92

• Tent User
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2020, 08:37:50 PM »
I feel some people poo-hoo stuff just cause it doesn't suit them. My first camper was a self built trailer with a TJM rooftop tent. Worked perfect, 5 mins up or down Max. Did trips from 1 night through to 4 weeks and never had an issue.

Have since upgraded and whilst I enjoy the creature comforts i now have, I also can see and understand the appeal of something like this to a certain demographic, and to an extent have hit the nail on the head.
The following users thanked this post: rossm

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2020, 05:23:04 PM »
I reckon most soft floors once the trailer is unhitched, legs down (as with any trailer) most wouldnt take much more than 5 mins for the tent to be up.
LS had a video of the explorer + being up in 1 min once legs were down and travel cover undone with 2 people..

Yeah we had a LS 360 I think it was.

Putting up the main tent section without the annex was pretty quick. But thats not where the time is. We used to pull everything out of the trailer first, once it was in position and levelled. Pulled everything out before the tent went up cause it was just sooo much easier than climbing in after the fact.

Then set up stretchers for the kids, the main bed, the kitchen, water, gas, set up bbq, tables, chairs, lights. get the fridge outta the car, plug that into your trailer power.

It seemed like it was never ending at times. As stated previously, everyones setups are different with varying levels of accessories.

We moved to a conqueror and most stuff stays in it now. never looking back, ill go to a caravan no worries when the kids no longer want to come a long and we get sick of having to setup the portaloo nad shower
Cheers

Justin