Author Topic: Suggestions on camper  (Read 4435 times)

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
Suggestions on camper
« on: July 10, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »
Not sure where this topic belongs but..

Wife and I have been looking at purchasing a new camper/cross over
We like the look and practicality of the Jayco Eagle/swan etc but we want a camper with an outdoor kitchen that slides out like the hardfloor campers generally have. We want to avoid cooking indoors where possible.

Does anyone have any ideas of similar designs with inbuilt outdoor kitchens. We also are conscious of budget. $40k would be our absolute max.

This would save me trawling website after website

Thanks in advance
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Suggestions on camper
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
Not sure where this topic belongs but..

Wife and I have been looking at purchasing a new camper/cross over
We like the look and practicality of the Jayco Eagle/swan etc but we want a camper with an outdoor kitchen that slides out like the hardfloor campers generally have. We want to avoid cooking indoors where possible.

Does anyone have any ideas of similar designs with inbuilt outdoor kitchens. We also are conscious of budget. $40k would be our absolute max.

This would save me trawling website after website

Thanks in advance

I'd be looking at the Lifestyle Breakaway Ultra and the new Modcon C3
The following users thanked this post: JusyApples

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »
I'd be looking at the Lifestyle Breakaway Ultra and the new Modcon C3

Those are both great campers for a couple, but I don't think I'd be too keen with kids. Are there kids?

I don't have anything to offer but I'll be watching with interest. We have 2 kids and love our swan for the space, storage, and ease of setup, but we REALLY miss the outdoor kitchen of our old soft floor.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »
Those are both great campers for a couple, but I don't think I'd be too keen with kids. Are there kids?

I don't have anything to offer but I'll be watching with interest. We have 2 kids and love our swan for the space, storage, and ease of setup, but we REALLY miss the outdoor kitchen of our old soft floor.

Both of them can sleep up to 2 kids, but not heaps of space in either, depends on how much time you spend inside I guess as to how much that extra space is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwtv-JDItww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsynS_n7pU

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »

Yeah mate one very tall 3 yr old and maybe another one in the next few years
Bought a what?

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »
Goldstream do one. More like $50k though. MDC xtt is similar too.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 07:13:34 PM »
Is Nick still doing the Evoke?
http://www.regionalcampers.com.au/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »
We went from a forward fold to a jayco swan outback. Yes, we do miss the ease of pulling out the slide-out kitchen but it only takes 10 min at the most to set up a fold up kitchen with stove outside. All our cooking is done outside.
The comfort of the swan far outways the slide out kitchen campers.
Silverfox
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 09:04:40 PM »
We went from a forward fold to a jayco swan outback. Yes, we do miss the ease of pulling out the slide-out kitchen but it only takes 10 min at the most to set up a fold up kitchen with stove outside. All our cooking is done outside.
The comfort of the swan far outways the slide out kitchen campers.
Silverfox
Yeah we figured if we couldn't find one with a slide out kitchen that we could just do the portable thing
Bought a what?

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 09:28:12 PM »
I also like what you are looking for.
A jayco with the interior of a lounge room  / bedroom and a pull out kitchen.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 09:48:24 PM »
Jayco have recently released an Adventurer model of the Penguin model , based around the concept of their new Adventurer range of vans. Although based on the Peguin which only has the 1 double bed plus table convert or bed (maybe). I would imagine that a model with pull out beds are not far away.
It incorporates a slide out with sink, stove and provision for a BBQ. Maybe a consideration.

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/details/new-jayco-adventurer-camper-cracks-40000-111238/

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »
We have  a jayco dove that I gutted and removed the sink and cooker for more storage space.
We have done all our cooking on a 2 burner stove next to our tressel table, only takes 5mins to setup.
We basically stay outside 90% of the time anyway.
Only issue is when the weather turns bad you still need to cook outside, but at least we can sit inside at the table to eat away from the flies/rain/wind...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline jfella

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 04:22:38 PM »
Yep we have Jayco Dove too and do virtually all our cooking outside on a portable with on a table away from the camper.  A slide out kitchen would be good, but I reckon its a bit wasted with the fridge, pantry and pots and pans stored inside as you still need to go in an out to cook.  Its not a drama for us but I have always thought it would be cool if everything had slides and external hatches so you could accessing everything outside and still cook inside if needed.

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 08:54:40 PM »
Both of them can sleep up to 2 kids, but not heaps of space in either, depends on how much time you spend inside I guess as to how much that extra space is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwtv-JDItww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsynS_n7pU

you'd be surprised on the storage in the Ultra, miles of room under queen bed, can have up to 6 drawers that holds ample, storage under the kitchen, massive food drawer and one on the other side for bits and pieces, then theres the two drop down doors in front of each tyre, another storage area under the food drawer where i keep bearings and things that may need one day ( i have two large plastic tubs in there out of the way ), space under the fridge slide, front boot.....  we are going on the road full-time next year and it will be ample.
just for comparison when I had my FF it had no room-storage compared to the ultra......go and have a look. You'll be surprised
what i love to about it is that, all beds can stay made up, pull up late at camp -undo 6 clips-push roof up- go to bed
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:00:28 PM by woolgoolgaoffroad »
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 09:08:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies looks like it will just be portable BBQ for cooking
Bought a what?

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »
you'd be surprised on the storage in the Ultra,
Comment was in regards to living space, I think the guy who does the walk through video says the world storage about 100 times, seems to have a fair bit of that.

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »
Comment was in regards to living space, I think the guy who does the walk through video says the world storage about 100 times, seems to have a fair bit of that.

oh ok.... unless you put the awning up with the walls it is limited. The ultra now has a new awning ( similar to a car awning ) and a 30 sec tent ( very similar to a oztent ) goes on the side of it for additional room and being like the oztent its free standing so it can be used separately
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 10:25:09 PM »
Yep We are the same we have a old Jayco Jaylark I gutted no fridge or sink or gas cooker inside, I rebuilt it got new vinyl instead of canvas never have canvas again, It can sleep 8 if need be, and heaps of storage under the beds. About to put HJ75 landcruiser front springs and brakes under it and staunches on the Afame to carry a 4m tinny, with the bigger axle and gear and tinny it will around 1ton, and cost me around $5 grand all up, Craig 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:30:56 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »
Yep We are the same we have a old Jayco Jaylark I gutted no fridge or sink or gas cooker inside, I rebuilt it got new vinyl instead of canvas never have canvas again, It can sleep 8 if need be, and heaps of storage under the beds. About to put HJ75 landcruiser front springs and brakes under it and staunches on the Afame to carry a 4m tinny, with the bigger axle and gear and tinny it will around 1ton, and cost me around $5 grand all up, Craig
I reckon this path is a very cost effective and user friendly way to go.
I like what this guy has done, gut inside to be a bit more camping orientated and better axle / clearance
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ascot/caravans/coromal-poptop-caravan-with-slide-out-conversion/1186100334?

Only limited by your imagination.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 08:10:31 AM »

Sounds like a good thing . Any chance of putting a few photos on here of what you have done?
Cheers
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »
No worries Dicko the Van is rough but strong I rebiult the floor and both ends with all new timber as they were rooted out and the winching gear, the new Vinyl cost $1800,  when I start mounting the new springs and axle I will start a post on it, mite not happen for a little while waiting for my mate to bring the axle down to me from Alpha, In the mean time I will check out the 4wd wreckers for good springs or gumtree if I can not find any I may have to buy new springs I have the Cruiser ubolts and fisher plates, Once I see how wide my mates axle is I may have to change it so its tracking behind the 80 series as it was made to track behind a 75 series tray back, Its just a bit of 75 x 75 x 6mm box with 20mm plates welded to the ends to bolt the Toyota front stubs to and it runs Toyota disc brakes and bearings, He got the Idea off mine that I made in 1991 thats under my boat trailer now, I got the Idea off the tour companies on there trailers running the Cape roads in the 80s. You can use HJ75 front or back springs, both work great,  Craig 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:56:13 AM by Craig Tomkinson »

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 03:39:32 AM »
Never had a problem with our road Jayco camper with its stock slipper springs and light truck tyres and I recall our first one with the kids was torsion rubber and ditto. I take our Dove places Jayco would clearly frown upon but the limit is this. Travelling solo (particularly with kids) you can't really venture off the beaten track that far that you'd be alone if you got into trouble so in that respect the Dove is fine. Gravel roads, some corrugated badly, dirt tracks and some ups and downs with creek beds and such particularly finding a spot off road to camp the night and that's plenty.

Appreciated the wind-up even more so over a week ago when we're coming back from Qld and free camping outside Dirinbandi beside the Ballone River. Great spot and all fed and watered and settle down with the DVD and tethered laptop and later tucked up in bed for it to start raining about one in the morning. What I don't realise is this really is black soil plain country and by morning I want to get something out of the car so thongs it was. They pick up an inch of top sticky clay each step I make until they're about 6" high and a great chunk drops off with the weight and then it's rinse repeat. Yowzah! This stuff really sticks like s#*t to a blanket.

It was right then I decided discretion is the better part of valour so we were staying another night and I could really appreciate an inside kitchen among other mod cons. We do have a bbq but we weren't going anywhere outside just like the time we were rained in at Yunta creek. So the next morning the rain's cleared up and time to go but packing up in that sticky clay top will be a nightmare but back up closer to the road is hard rubble where we should have been with rain in the offing. No sense us both getting sticky great clod hoppers so the missus stays in the Jayco while I shove in the front bed only and drive us out to hard ground and then we can pack up reasonably. This is all about robot walking and stepping out of the thongs back into bare feet for the car and then retrieve the thongs. Gawdelpus with a soft floor camper trailer and those thongs stayed in a plastic bag til we got home and I could finally manage to clean that damn clay off them. What in God's name is in that stuff?
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 07:42:47 AM »
Yep prodigyrf, They are nearly bullet proof that is for shore my dad towed his through some of the roughest tracks up north and around Aus with no worries once he fitted Military wrap slipper springs, but they are cows to tow on the beach up north loaded with the skinny LT tires even let down, granted dads was not tracking wheel base,we had to tandem tow it every time into penny,  I am going heaver suspension to up the GVM to 1,5ton if I have to and fit 265 or 285 x 75 x16 tires and rims the same as the tug and make it tracking wheel base, The axle is free I have most things just need springs and a bit of steel to mount it under the camper around $500, the camper will be 10cm higher empty,
That black soil out west is unreel it can build up on your tires and jam under the mudguards and you can not move, Craig   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:44:41 AM by Craig Tomkinson »