Author Topic: Wittenoom Gorge  (Read 3744 times)

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
Wittenoom Gorge
« on: June 25, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »
Hi,
 i want to take my kids out to Wittenoom Gorge next week.. From those who have been there, Do you feel it is ok to visit, what about camping nearby, Can you recommend anywhere close by to camp?  I have a couple of nights to escape reality with the kids as the wife is heading down to Perth.  Kids are itching to get out and about, so am I.

Leaving from Karratha

Thanks

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
Re: Wittenoom Gorge
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »
We went there a few years ago, Camped at a nice waterhole but you could see fibers of asbestos everywhere.
Saw a ute driving around with a couple of kids in the back, not sure I'd like to take kids there because of the dust.
If you do, make sure to keep your windows up when driving around.
Pity, cause it's a beautiful place.

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 12:50:21 PM »
There is a camp about half way to the mine on the creek banks. Very nice. It is a beautiful part of the country. The walk from the mine to where the comms tower used to be is awesome too.......

The fibers you see naturally have to be milled to a very very fine powder and you need to be exposed to it for a long period of time to have any asbestosis affliction..........

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »
If you go right down the end of the gorge theres still some old concrete pads left from the original townsite. As has been mentioned there is lots of natural fibres everywhere which are not of much concern as you cant inhale those. Where it is of concern is around the tailings of the old mine. I've camped there with my kids previously, depending on how young your kids are and how much they want to play in the dirt would depend on if you want to risk going there. Apart from the obvious issue it really is a very nice place. Plenty of red claw in the water too ;D

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 03:51:43 PM »
Its another couple of hours drive from Karratha, but weeli wooli is a real nice place that would have bugger all people around - located out behind the yandi mines

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »
There is a camp about half way to the mine on the creek banks. Very nice. It is a beautiful part of the country. The walk from the mine to where the comms tower used to be is awesome too.......

The fibers you see naturally have to be milled to a very very fine powder and you need to be exposed to it for a long period of time to have any asbestosis affliction..........

Im google mapping like a mad man and cant actually see where the mine is, is it close to the old town site?

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 07:02:11 PM »
might be a bit difficult to find on a map - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-05/wittenoom-home-of-australian-asbestos-population-three/7793902

"Today, three residents still live in the town, which receives no government services. In December 2006, the Government of Western Australia announced that the town's official status would be removed, and in June 2007, Jon Ford, the Minister for Regional Development, announced that the townsite had officially been degazetted. The town's name was removed from official maps and road signs and the Shire of Ashburton is able to close roads that lead to contaminated areas."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:07:54 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
might be a bit difficult to find on a map - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-05/wittenoom-home-of-australian-asbestos-population-three/7793902

"Today, three residents still live in the town, which receives no government services. In December 2006, the Government of Western Australia announced that the town's official status would be removed, and in June 2007, Jon Ford, the Minister for Regional Development, announced that the townsite had officially been degazetted. The town's name was removed from official maps and road signs and the Shire of Ashburton is able to close roads that lead to contaminated areas."

The WA Government has done its best to expunge the name of Wittenoom but students of the weather will notice that it pops up in BoM rainfall reports! I don't know if there is an automatic recorder there or someone phones it in.

I am planning on a look-see in a month or so. Just me.       

Offline Windy Hill

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 08:17:33 PM »
Just spent two nights there last week, great spot, camped right by the water in the gorge. Red claw easy to catch, not many people, highly reccomend.
cheers
Windy

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:09:18 AM »

Doubt it'll be on Google, but HEMA show it. The mine is at the very southern end of Bolitho road. 41km west of Auski roadhouse on the Munjina road (136)
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
Red claw easy to catch

cheers
Windy
[/quote]

Did you eat them?

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
Doubt it'll be on Google, but HEMA show it. The mine is at the very southern end of Bolitho road. 41km west of Auski roadhouse on the Munjina road (136)

Thanks for this, I dont have hema maps or anything, not really interested in the mine, would prefer to stay away from it, but I've heard the gorge is really nice, so i might go see if i can camp at one of those pools thats showing on your hema picture, might also download hema on the ipad

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »
We camped in the gorge overnight last year, lovely spot, pity the mine was there. Bumped into a young couple with their young children, the young woman used to be sent to holiday their when she was young with her grandparents and was revisiting her past.

Personally I wouldn't take my children their.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:17:02 PM by HKB Electronics »
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
Here's the OpenStreetMap version: https://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=-22.1973&lon=118.3811#map=13/-22.2445/118.3360

Got to say it not made to sound very welcoming! >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 01:41:32 PM »
Here's the OpenStreetMap version: https://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=-22.1973&lon=118.3811#map=13/-22.2445/118.3360

Got to say it not made to sound very welcoming! >:D

So according to open maps, it's fine to be in the park boundary, but as soon as you step out of the park boundary you're in mortal danger........ ::) ::)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:43:39 PM by doc evil »

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 02:48:51 PM »
So according to open maps, it's fine to be in the park boundary, but as soon as you step out of the park boundary you're in mortal danger........ ::) ::)

Noted some small signs at Dales Gorge last year warning of asbestos danger.

Offline JamesMac

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 05:30:32 PM »
When I lived and worked in Paraburdoo the geos were always telling us that there is more fibrous material in Karijini than Wittenoom, just avoid the mine/processing areas/tailing dam.
Didn't spend too much time sniffing the gorge walls to confirm and tried to time Wittenoom visits based on wind direction - I guess time will tell....
As others have pointed out, there are plenty of excellent waterholes up that way, and I'm jealous of everyone who has easy access to them after all the rain the area has had. Should be nicely flushed & full.
JM
2017 MU-X LSU, 2018 Camprite TL8s (the last one!)

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
Its another couple of hours drive from Karratha, but weeli wooli is a real nice place that would have bugger all people around - located out behind the yandi mines

Just had a look at this, it says no camping allowed along the creek - aboriginal heritage?  is it totally unaccessible like Gregory's gorge is near karratha?

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »
No weeli wooli is quite accessible and there’s no issues getting in there. Coming in from the north side once you hit the creek system you need to go right in before you see the first no camping sign, and there’s plenty of evidence of people camping outside of the signed area