Author Topic: Cordless drill you can charge straight from the car  (Read 5859 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Cordless drill you can charge straight from the car
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 12:42:16 PM »
Quote from: Brodie Tas
Yeah I myself have a sthil saw for camping, just been a few times around a campsite where I’ve seen a few limbs and didn’t want to fire up the saw to upset other campers where a battery one would of been good
Battery ones are perfect for this.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 04:31:09 PM »
Regarding the 18V Ryobi one chainsaw... don't waste your time. Its not useful. Anything that it will cut is easier with a small folding saw.  You are welcome to mine if you want it.
I got one second had for $25 in as new condition, I only wanted the battery and charger, but I pulled it out the other weekend and cut up some hardwood sleepers that had been in the garden. I was really surprised, its not fast, and a logdog would make it easier, but its got plenty of torque and my neighbours loved the firewood. As far as not worrying about starting a 2 stroke and noise I thought it was a winner. I normally take reciprocating saw on trips, will be throwing this in for sure from now on!

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »

This is the makita one I have been looking at I reckon it would be good for small limbs around the camp site and not making much noise would be a bonus to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got this one.  Had about an hours use in total around home pruning trees. Works an absolute treat. Cut up to around 150mm dia. no worries, with little effort.  Will definitely become part of the camping kit.

I think this one is about to be superseded by a new 18v brushless version (smaller and lighter) for the same money. Check the website. Maybe look at that one, or wait for a "reduced to clear" sale.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 06:09:16 PM »
How much running time do you get out these? Been looking at the makita ones pretty sure there dual batterys, thought it would be handy for a weekend away

I can only answer for the Ryobi -- I am not sure of the actual run time but it seems O.K., I mainly use it for track clearing, and I carry 2 4AH batteries.  My Ryobi saw has a nickname of beaver, as it's a bit slow and it's always a welcomed sight when a bit of track needs clearing. 

Recently I have lent the saw out just after the last cyclone, trees down everywhere -- it's what it is, about the only thing i don't like, it leaks chain oil, but i think all chainsaws do that.

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 08:25:04 AM »
You could have mine. It struggles to cut a match stick in half.

Completely useless.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »
You could have mine. It struggles to cut a match stick in half.

Completely useless.
which make/ model is it?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 09:41:42 AM »
I have one of these, had it for a few years now.
I have 2 x 2.5ah batteries.
Get about 10 - 22 cuts per battery of redgum / ironbark /yellowbox at 8/10" round.
Not as fast as my Husky but no fuel / spills and deadly quiet.

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 09:42:04 AM »
Gone a little off topic here.
I use a makita 18v drill for the legs on our van all the time. If that's all you're using it for it'll last ages before needing recharging. I also take a spare battery and have never needed to recharge it out bush.

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 09:52:03 AM »
which make/ model is it?

18V Ryobi. The chain moves way too slow. Any 4 - 6" log would take 2 plus minutes even with a freshly sharpened blade. It's slower than a good sharp hand saw. I use a reciprocating saw now. Still not great but much faster than the Ryobi.

Offline Mattsglxr

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »
18V Ryobi. The chain moves way too slow. Any 4 - 6" log would take 2 plus minutes even with a freshly sharpened blade. It's slower than a good sharp hand saw. I use a reciprocating saw now. Still not great but much faster than the Ryobi.
There's a bit of difference in the ryobi plus one saws. The brushed ones only have a chain speed of about 3.6 meters a second and the brushless runs at 9 meters a second so quite a difference.