Author Topic: Cordless drill you can charge straight from the car  (Read 5428 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Cordless drill you can charge straight from the car
« on: June 16, 2018, 03:08:10 PM »
Has anyone heard of a decent cordless drill that you can charge from a 12 volt power outlet in the car?
I need one for lowering the jacks on my camper and would like to charge it off grid without using an inverter.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
Cordless drill you can charge straight from the car
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 03:09:43 PM »
Has anyone heard of a decent cordless drill that you can charge from a 12 volt power outlet in the car?
I need one for lowering the jacks on my camper and would like to charge it off grid without using an inverter.
Keith
What about a power converter? That’s what I use to charge my makita battery’s, don’t need a big conveter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 03:12:00 PM by Brodie Tas »

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
Re: Cordless drill you can charge straight from the car
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:11:40 PM »
Sorry just read about the converter but makita do make a 12v charger but it’s pretty pricey, it was cheaper for me just to buy a power inverter, ryobi make a 12v charger for there tools to if you want to keep the price down

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 03:13:23 PM »
And aeg make a 12v plug to

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »
Keith

A quick look tells me Ryobi, DeWalt, AEG, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee so all the big players I just looked at. It would be cheaper to get a small inverter (they don't use many watts) though.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 03:47:17 PM »
Not Cordless,  but we have an old Ozito type 12V cordless drill with a stuffed battery that I will be  fitting  a 5 > 8m heavy power cord to the drill via Anderson plugs. the cord then can be used as an extension lead for portable solar etc ..
like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BymFW5NMRQU
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 03:57:29 PM »
Problem with majority of the 12v dc chargers is they're generally a slow 1 to 3 hour charger and cost more than the 240v ac quick charge version. Plus they're a separate item you have to buy in addition to the the drill/battery/240v charger kit.

My fan cooled 18v Makita fast charger runs off a $100 300w inverter no worries. Pulls around 25amps during bulk charge and settles to 4-5 amps from memory. Takes around 25min for a 3ah battery.

My other little 12v Milwaukee charger could run off a 150w inverter.

For dirt cheap. Edz is on the money.  Find an old 12v drill at a junk shop and add a cable.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »
I'm going through this exercise atm with a set up for a UHF twin charging dock...

I want to be able to change the dock off the 12vt system in my van....     Current UHF charging is via 240vt adapter to 6vt DC..   (I do have a big 1000wt inverter - but would rather charge the UHFs with this set up)...

I have ordered from evilbay:

1 x Step Converter DC 12V to 6V 5A 30w.
$27
1 x polarised plug and socket set, (the type that has the 2 pins perpendicular to each other).
$19
1 x engraved acrylic plate 80mmx20mm "6V 5A 30w"
$9.95.

Still have to get a mounting box and a switch mech plate - (so that I can kill the step tranformer when not in use)...

The UHFs need 500 miliamps on 6V DC to charge - so at 5A its a bit of an overkill....   but some of the lessor units on evilbay, (about $4 worth), look a bit ratty to be doing work in my pride and joy...   (Don't want to risk a burn down)...

OP - your application may need a transformer with more juice -- but they are all there on ebay...

i will post up some pics etc, when I have the job done....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 04:15:48 PM »
Milwaukee M12 has a 12 volt charging system
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »
I already have a cordless with 240V charger and two batteries. I think a little inverter (I have a couple) might be best and cheapest for now and will go with something better when my Chinese cheapie drill packs it in.
Thanks for the heads up everyone.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »
I already have a cordless with 240V charger and two batteries. I think a little inverter (I have a couple) might be best and cheapest for now and will go with something better when my Chinese cheapie drill packs it in.
Thanks for the heads up everyone.
Keith

Kieth does your 200 have the invertor in the boot? I’ve used ours a few times but not sure if the 08 has the 240v outlet in the back
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 01:42:11 PM »
Nope, the early models weren't that flash. I have an inverter that I can plug into the Anderson plug. But I want to use the drill at the back of the camper to raise and lower several jacks. If I can store the drill in the rear locker on charge, that will work well. Just thinking about it a bit more, I think I can get a 240 volt outlet into the rear locker from the 240V setup on board the camper. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 01:56:24 PM »
Hi Keith, I have a $80 PowerTeck inverter  its 400watt continues and 1200watt surge it ran my Makita 25 minute battery charger easy till the ants built in it and it shorted out, I replaced it with another but it takes an hour to charge the same 3 hour battery, but the inverter runs it as well, used the inverter to charge the batteries a fair bit up the Cape last Year, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer
The following users thanked this post: KeithB

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 02:19:07 PM »
I wouldnt have thought a good cordless would need charging if your only using it for 10-20 seconds a time to lower each leg ??? Even if you were away for couple of weeks.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 02:55:53 PM »
I wouldnt have thought a good cordless would need charging if your only using it for 10-20 seconds a time to lower each leg ??? Even if you were away for couple of weeks.

It shouldn't, I guess if you are doing stabilisers, pegs, winding up the roof, using it on the coffee grinder :o etc with a number of setups/pack downs it might.

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 11:09:52 PM »
I have the Ryobi One+ 18V drill, and chainsaw

And quite some time ago, I purchased a charger that charge for a  cigarette lighter plug and it's been real good.

I see that they still sell at Bunnings
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-14-4-18v-dual-chemistry-car-battery-charger_p6210405

The main tool I use 4WDing is the Chainsaw

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 06:59:18 AM »
Same here I was mainly using my Makita 18volt 5in angle grinder cutting up and old trailer for the steel to fix my mates boat trailer that fell to pieces on the trip up and they are heavy on power, and once word gets out that someone has a full set of Makita 18volt tools with them there is always something that needs fixing at someones camp,  Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 11:56:42 PM »
I have the Ryobi One+ 18V drill, and chainsaw

And quite some time ago, I purchased a charger that charge for a  cigarette lighter plug and it's been real good.

I see that they still sell at Bunnings
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-14-4-18v-dual-chemistry-car-battery-charger_p6210405

The main tool I use 4WDing is the Chainsaw

How much running time do you get out these? Been looking at the makita ones pretty sure there dual batterys, thought it would be handy for a weekend away

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 08:45:33 AM »
Quote from: Brodie Tas
How much running time do you get out these? Been looking at the makita ones pretty sure there dual batterys, thought it would be handy for a weekend away
We had a guy several years ago pull one out at camp, was perfect.. PERFECT around the campfire for trimming and firewood... he was a tradie and had several batteries in reserve if needed. Not sure what volt one it was, but I'd say 12v possibly.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »
Earlier this year went to Tas for just shy of 4 weeks with the RV4.
I used landscape screws / Ryobi  impact driver/drill with a 5ah battery.
It lasted the whole trip.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »
If people are looking I think this is a pretty good deal if you have stock nearby, comes with a free chainsaw by redemption, would be ideal for free camping, brush cutter for long grass, blower for blowing dust off and a chainsaw for firewood. https://www.bunnings.com.au/aeg-58v-blower-and-line-trimmer-combo-kit_p0018771. The batteries have a lot more capacity than your normal drill type ones.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »

This is the makita one I have been looking at I reckon it would be good for small limbs around the camp site and not making much noise would be a bonus to

Offline galah

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »
Regarding the 18V Ryobi one chainsaw... don't waste your time. Its not useful. Anything that it will cut is easier with a small folding saw.  You are welcome to mine if you want it.

My  36V husqvarna chainsaw is a different story - that works very well for lighter stuff -  its not cheap, but light and easy to use.   Would be fine for firewood up to 150mm. It has a car charge option too, but I just have the fast 240V charger.  One battery is all you need for the husky.   My real winter heating wood chainsaws are mostly petrol huskys.

No experience with the alternative 36V saws.  But given how much nicer Stihl or Husky petrol saws are than the cheaper competition...

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »
Regarding the 18V Ryobi one chainsaw... don't waste your time. Its not useful. Anything that it will cut is easier with a small folding saw.  You are welcome to mine if you want it.

My  36V husqvarna chainsaw is a different story - that works very well for lighter stuff -  its not cheap, but light and easy to use.   Would be fine for firewood up to 150mm. It has a car charge option too, but I just have the fast 240V charger.  One battery is all you need for the husky.   My real winter heating wood chainsaws are mostly petrol huskys.

No experience with the alternative 36V saws.  But given how much nicer Stihl or Husky petrol saws are than the cheaper competition...
Yeah I myself have a sthil saw for camping, just been a few times around a campsite where I’ve seen a few limbs and didn’t want to fire up the saw to upset other campers where a battery one would of been good

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »

What do ya want for it?

Rod