Author Topic: We bought some bush on a hill with a view to build a house on it (build thread)  (Read 20306 times)

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Privately owned Camping area and 4WD Park
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 03:45:40 PM »
Congratulations.
Hope you get many years of happiness.

Cheers
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 04:22:49 PM »
that's a nice thing to do - on behalf of everyone - thanks!    :cheers:
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 10:52:39 AM »
Thanks and no problems, its just under 2 years until we start building on it, its going to be sitting there vacant for a while so someone may as well get some use out of it.

Although Im hoping to have the garage built before then but that shouldn't effect my offer in any way :)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »
That's a great offer Danny.  :cheers:
Would this be an ongoing thing, or do you think it might slow down a bit when you have the house up and running and your living out there?
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 01:21:22 PM »
Might get in contact with you for a new years trip Danny, thanks for putting up the offer

GG

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 05:17:45 PM »
Don't fall for it!! It's a trap!!

Danny's actually an axe-weilding mass-murderer..... :o :o :o

Nice offer Danny... :cup: :cup:

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 05:22:50 PM »
...betta get me a bigger boat axe then    :laugh:    ;D     :angel:
You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »
That's a great offer Danny.  :cheers:
Would this be an ongoing thing, or do you think it might slow down a bit when you have the house up and running and your living out there?

Good question and one I cant answer yet. The reason being is that even though its 4 acres, for the most part at the moment the larger percentage of it isnt easily accessed while towing a camper. I mean yes you can drive onto it but there is a bit of a hill to negotiate to get to the only other flat area besides up the top where we will be building.
So, in time I may put a second driveway into the property or perhaps put some road base down so I can get easier access to the bottom half in cars etc but at this stage we are happy to use the acreage as a vista so to speak and give us space from the neighbours more so than to grow sheep or use it for other reasons.
But having said all that, up the top where we are building it should be around half an acre or so, so there would be plenty of room there for campers, I guess its just a matter of how we set out the house and garage etc in that space. So watch this space  :laugh:

Might get in contact with you for a new years trip Danny, thanks for putting up the offer

GG

Sounds good and if all goes well which it should, I cant see why we wouldnt have our excavation work finished by then, so send me a PM when it gets a bit closer. It will be a good place to set up while your exploring the northern end of the state.  :D

Don't fall for it!! It's a trap!!

Danny's actually an axe-weilding mass-murderer..... :o :o :o

Nice offer Danny... :cup: :cup:

As if........here is my pic in case anyone wanted to know what I look like  ;D

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
No decent pics yet but heres one to give you an idea.

Nice pic Danny. Looks like a very nice place  :cup: :cup:

Is it Brokeback Mountain?? ;D

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »

:cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
Hi All
been watching this one with interest

has anyone looked into what you need to get to be able to set up something like the youcamp/ private camp ground
 or setting up your property to have campers or caravans pay to stay

i have been googling the crap out of it and starting to get a bit frustrated
was thinking of a trip to see the local councillor in my area but that's not the area im looking at

so far i have been able to find a small amount of info on caravan parks but not wanting to set up something that big
was going to limit it to approx 4 caravan sized sites

ive given myself 3 month to figure it out but jumping the first hurdle is proving to be a big PITA

any info would be much appreciated

Adam   
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 11:08:03 AM »

;D It is a bit...well not the brokeback part but it certainly has a mountainish feel about it. We will work on the brokeback part when I sucker some myswagger gents into using it  :-*

Hi All

has anyone looked into what you need to get to be able to set up something like the youcamp/ private camp ground

was thinking of a trip to see the local councillor in my area but that's not the area im looking at

so far i have been able to find a small amount of info on caravan parks but not wanting to set up something that big

ive given myself 3 month to figure it out but jumping the first hurdle is proving to be a big PITA

Adam   

Thats a difficult question to answer but in Tassie you would need approval from your local council (which is complicated) and certainly you need public liability insurance which in my case is easy because its a part of my existing insurance policy but in the instance of commercially running a park for the public it would be a lot dearer and more complex.
Besides that, im not sure what else would need to be done.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: Green rv

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 11:35:59 AM »
Hi All

Adam   
theres probably good reasons why they aren't everywhere... dealing with councils and insurance companies would be enough to put me off.. LOL
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 11:51:43 AM »
Hi All

Adam   

You'll have to start by having a chat with your local council where the property is. That will determine your next step.

We've stayed on a number of Youcamp properties and they've all been great.
Already got a spot booked on a 40 acre private property, camping on the river bank for our family Christmas fishing trip this year.

We where arranging a camp at a vineyard a couple of years ago and the owner was having heaps of problems with his local council.
From what I understand, he had no facilities on site for campers and the council had concerns with him letting people bush camp near the water course that fed into the council owned lake near by.
We had to agree that we where fully self contained (with our own toilet), but we don't/didn't have anything other then a shovel for toilet facilities. He sounded like a nice guy and we didn't want to cause him any dramas, so chose not to stay there.

Each council will have their own regulations regarding camping on private property. I'm guessing the more rural the council, the easier the process will be.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 11:52:41 AM »

Adam

As Danny said, I think it would depend on the council in the area you're interested in  ???

I remember seeing something a couple of months ago that a council on NSW South Coast (Shoalhaven?) were talking about cracking down on Youcamp sites as they didn't pay enough  >:(

Having said that, I was playing on the Youcamp site a little while back & there was someone with a house at Lota (I think?) listed that could handle 1 tent or trailer in their back-yard!  :o

Maybe check Youcamp for the right area & ask someone who is listed there / nearby - they've obviously been through it there so must now how it was done?

Graeme
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »
I've camped at a couple of you camp facilities including:

west kunderang; and base camp (no relation to me); at Yandina.

The Yandina folk were very informative; and explained a lot about how the whole thing trades - including what's involved with the insurance etc...

As already suggested - maybe give the youcamp operators; (*whom are now part of the Super Retail Group conglomerate, fyi*) - a call, and quiz them...

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 12:12:16 PM »
When we thought about getting a block large enough to set it up as a 4wd/camping type park finding the right block at the right price was pretty easy in Tassie. Down here there are a lot of areas that are out of the way and no one would want to live on them while working but would want to retire there, so the land is cheap.

You can easily find large acreage thats undeveloped for under 100k.

However at the same time that we were entertaining that idea we were also looking at the option of one day moving closer to work/college etc but wanted to live in a rural style setting, be only a few minutes from 'town' and have a bit of space around us. It has taken two years to find a property that fits that description and was within what we were able to spend. So large acreage where no one can live while working= cheap and very easy to find. Small acreage within 10 minutes or so from Launceston = very very difficult to find at the right price.

So all you rich 'mainlanders' can cash in your ashtray change and buy some property down here ;D It will help my future ;)

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 04:20:20 PM »
So all you rich 'mainlanders' can cash in your ashtray change and buy some property down here ;D It will help my future ;)

I've actually thought of that one myself...   From Brisbane to Hobart including 60 minutes to get to the airport BNE and transit etc is only about 5 hours!  ...(Less time than a drive BNE to Kingfisfer Bay FI actually...)   And if you crack cheap flights to Tas = happy days...   

Only problem - is that "my ranch" must also serve as a BOL - and in a SHTF scenario - who would want to be relying on 21 century jet age transportation...    LOL....

(Almost had the ideal locale a few years ago; back out the back of Grafton....  40 acres; nice quality one room shack on it; 100% totally surrounded by NPs and SF; (access via locked gate SF fire trail only); permanent stream; "park-like" grassy setting; no phone or power.....   The "negatives" being that some future "greenie problem" could see you locked out of your own land; and there was no permanent building entitlement - meaning you couldn't *legally* live there...   (just a weekender)..

The property had been on the market for 9 months...  but by the time I had discovered it - it was too late - It sold for $90K!!!!   
 :'(      :'(      :'(       

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »
I doubt that Super Cheap own any of the properties used for camp sites....

As the article stated, " has bought a camping booking website .....".

Probably gets a commission from bookings and advertising....
Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2016, 05:42:36 PM »
the youcamp operators; (*whom are now part of the Super Retail Group conglomerate, fyi*) - a call, and quiz them...

^^^^   Yes, correct - as already said..   eg:  www.youcamp.com = a booking website JVed with the Super Retail Group...   
:laugh:      ;D       ;D   

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »
Just a bit of an update on this for those that showed an interest in using it.

We have just completed a massive amount of excavation up the top of the property where we will build our home and or garage. This excavated area is around 2000 or so square metres so it will fit one or 20 campers  :D

Yes it is all dirt at the moment and to be honest I dont think Ill spend too much money at this stage to make it 'pretty' because the builder will only dig it all up again at some stage but I will make a small part of it a bit nicer to set up some campers.

Theres about 50 or so tonne of dead wood on the property and Im taking over a 44 gallon drum as a fire pit and a 1000 ltr water tank so there are a few creature comforts ;)

Heres a few during pics........

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »
looking good........

Can I suggest a Joolca HWS and shower setup.....
Best thing we did at our property.
Keep us posted,
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »
how awesomes that
mate that will be magic for you when your able to put the house on

and i love a good bit of earth work much easier with heavy movers
nice looking soil too

Adam

Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

We spent a couple of days out there last week to start cutting the wood thats laying around so we set the camper up! Im sure the neighbours think we are hillbillies  ;D

Very rough and raw and this stage but we love being there and we have the rest of our lives to landscape it.

One of the many tree's that we are cutting up. In fact there is over 60 tonne of wood laying on the property in log form. It is too much for us so we are negotiating with a bloke who has a loader and and truck to remove it. Apparently its worth around $20-25 a tonne so we are keeping about 10 tonne for ourselves (which we have made a good start of cutting up) and selling the rest.

And the city lights in the distance at night

We have heaps more pics but im sure no one is as enthusiastic as us so Ill only post them when the myswag camping area starts to look a big better ;)

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2016, 07:43:05 PM »
Looking good sir...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown