Author Topic: Damage to Qld State Forest tracks  (Read 5497 times)

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
Damage to Qld State Forest tracks
« on: December 24, 2010, 08:58:09 AM »
I was speaking to a friend who is a district manager with Qld National Parks the other day and was saddened to hear the trouble they are having with four wheel drivers in the state forest parks.  He started telling me how they have been targeting them recently, with the assistance of local Police, and I was about to put up a little argument for four wheel drivers when he explained the damage they are doing.  There are a lot of them going into the parks and just mucking around, ripping the tracks up etc.  It really gives us a bad name.  He said on one track they had to close it due to the damage and they put up large signs, only to find a week later the signs ripped out and more damage to the tracks.  It is a real shame as there are some great tracks to be had and some led to hidden beautiful creeks and water holes.  I can see that one day they will just put a blanket ban on all such parks.  Kev   :'(
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Damage to Qld State Forest tracks
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 09:02:09 AM »
Yup, same down here in VIC, lots of places closed due to ruts that require 37s and a 5 inch lift. Also stories of w@nkers winching gates out etc. The old 80/20 rule, 80% of wheelers are ok and the other 20% are complete tossers with no respect for the bush, their vehicles or themselves.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 09:08:33 AM »
Unfortunately this happens right across the country.

I don't think it would 80/20 though more like 98/2 It only takes a few to spoil it for the majority. The small amount that are out there destroying for everyone are most likely repeat offenders.

Rich

IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline POD

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just get out there!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 09:26:43 AM »
It's not just confined to the bush though, there are idiots everywhere. The whole street had our letter boxes knocked over the other night. Why?

I don't think the track damage can be blamed on irresponsible four wheel drivers, I think the people responsible for the damage are vandals who happen to own four wheel drives. It IS unfortunate that the few who do the wrong thing ruin for the rest but using my letter box issue, what should we do? Ban letter boxes? There are always going to be people who do the wrong thing, that is why we have fines and jails so instead of closing the tracks down, let's get these vandals to pay to repair the damage they've done or put them in jail. Obviuosly we need to be able to catch them first but I reckon there are enough people out and about who will have seen something.

POD's 2 cents.
"Never trust an internet quote." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »
It's the same in all facets of life. It's a learning curve, I was guilty when I was 17, thinking wheel spinning was fun - I didn't know any better nor did I consider what I was doing. It's an age thing, and most on here would be lying to say they have never spun a wheel in the scrub.

I just think it's sad they close tracks, education is the key. The National Parks spend money 'willy nilly'. I have no understanding or comprehension of their management policies. Managing by closing, what does this achieve? Are we not humans who should enjoy these areas? If you've visited areas such as Newnes, an old oil shale plant which has been completely reclaimed by the bush. It's a magnificent site, really beautiful. Of all things, oil is most damaging yet this particular site has been reclaimed by nature, almost effortlessly.

Mother Nature does more damage and change to the earth than anyone, yet she seems to be okay...

It's a big country. Educate, don't close.

What's more effective, booking one person for speeding - or educating the masses of speed cameras in the area... I know which one seems to be considered most effective, financially. Flashing lights to warn oncoming motorists of a speed camera, which generally results in the motorist slowing down... You can be booked for this.  ;D Funny.

Offline Rossco

• Never to far from home
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 09:34:28 AM »
  Hi fellas, what you say is true. In Victoria we have a means by which to tackle this problem. Four Wheel Drive Vic (FWD association) has a "Dob In A Hoon" programe in which members and public can forward info and evidence (photographic etc) to the association, of acts of vandalism and damage being comitted. FWDV then work with police, DSE & Parks Vic to prosecute offenders. Several prosecutions have been successful. It puts many more responsible eyes and ears out in the bush to protect the environment, our heritage/history and our recreations/pastimes. I don't know if any of the other state associations or governing bodies have any such systems. If they haven't, it's something that should be looked into.    Rossco.

PS.   MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A GOOD NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:16:13 AM by Rossco »
'03 4.2 TD ST Patrol and O'Brien's CT both set up for our requirements.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:47:01 AM »
It's not just confined to the bush though, there are idiots everywhere.

This has to be the myswag one liner of the year  :cup:

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline POD

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just get out there!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »
Cool! What do I win??

Let me guess - a year's free subcription to MySwag?!?
"Never trust an internet quote." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 03:18:38 PM »
You a yery lucky bloke 12 months Myswag  for free , Lucky Lucky Lucky  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »
On The Flip Side ...  Better they hoon in a state forest (or other regulated area), than on a major road ...

Defensive Driving and Towing should be mandatory for anyone with a license and and 4WD-ing and Recovery courses mandatory for those who purchase a 4WD ... ie show the paperwork before the purchase.

Kit_e
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 05:57:25 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »
It's the same in all facets of life. It's a learning curve, I was guilty when I was 17, thinking wheel spinning was fun - I didn't know any better nor did I consider what I was doing. It's an age thing, and most on here would be lying to say they have never spun a wheel in the scrub.

I just think it's sad they close tracks, education is the key. The National Parks spend money 'willy nilly'. I have no understanding or comprehension of their management policies. Managing by closing, what does this achieve? Are we not humans who should enjoy these areas? If you've visited areas such as Newnes, an old oil shale plant which has been completely reclaimed by the bush. It's a magnificent site, really beautiful. Of all things, oil is most damaging yet this particular site has been reclaimed by nature, almost effortlessly.

Mother Nature does more damage and change to the earth than anyone, yet she seems to be okay...

It's a big country. Educate, don't close.

What's more effective, booking one person for speeding - or educating the masses of speed cameras in the area... I know which one seems to be considered most effective, financially. Flashing lights to warn oncoming motorists of a speed camera, which generally results in the motorist slowing down... You can be booked for this.  ;D Funny.

Very good points Dan. If it wasn't for you I'd still be spinning up the 6ft track  ;D

Merry Xmas dude.....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:59:35 PM by SteveandViv »
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Rossco

• Never to far from home
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 07:35:20 PM »

On The Flip Side ...  Better they hoon in a state forest (or other regulated area), than on a major road ...

Defensive Driving and Towing should be mandatory for anyone with a license and and 4WD-ing and Recovery courses mandatory for those who purchase a 4WD ... ie show the paperwork before the purchase.

Kit_e

Hooning in the bush IS AS BAD as on major roads as made evident near Talbotville at about 1.30/2.00 A M ! ! Sat morning (cup weekend) by a ute load of idiots, ONE dead and SEVERAL injured. The incident caused much disruption and inconvienence throughout the remainder of that night and next day to a group of friends and many others camping nearby and in the area.
  FWD and recovery courses I'm in favour of, BUT. Many folk buy a 4bee only to tow horses, put boats in and out at boat ramps or taxi the family around. And how do you control private deals in the used market?      Rossco.
   PS.   Maybe I should've put this in the daily rant thread.
'03 4.2 TD ST Patrol and O'Brien's CT both set up for our requirements.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 12:41:36 PM »
Drove back from the Sunshine Coast Tuesday night and saw two 4WD’s on the forestry tracks which run parallel to the Hway bogged.

These tracks are notorious for being tough after just a little bit of rain, but seeing QLD has had it’s wettest season in many years these tracks are unthinkable. 

Not sure how they are going to get out as I would think even a tractor would have trouble getting through at the moment.

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »
This problem seems to be Australia wide, around the Far North Coast in and around Kyogle, Tabulum etc, there has been problems with hoons and the noise factor from trail bikes as well as inconsiderate 4x4 drivers damaging the forest tracks.
They have helecoptered a few trailer bike riders who have come a cropper out of the forests over the last 12 months...
A ranger friend of mine, yes, forest rangers do exist, anyway, they have gotten to the ppoint where they are putting in portable CCTV's in areas of forest where the road damage has been greatest. Also as a side line to this, the rangers are catching idiots who are dumping rubbish in the forests.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 04:45:26 PM »
Also as a side line to this, the rangers are catching idiots who are dumping rubbish in the forests.

What's with this? Of late I've seen piles of rubbish on the side of the road that look like somebpdy has pulled up and unloaded their trailer. Who would do this?

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 06:55:19 AM »
What's with this? Of late I've seen piles of rubbish on the side of the road that look like somebpdy has pulled up and unloaded their trailer. Who would do this?

I once saw two blokes pull over in old street (100's of units so lots of people lived there) and unload a van of old crappy furniture and rubbish. They then just drove off. I took the number plate and reported it to the police.
P.S it wasn't council clean up time.

Who would do this? let's just say that they spoke chinglish.

mike

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 06:58:34 AM »

Extra lazy scum

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 09:41:15 AM »
Extra lazy scum

Sometimes it is not out of laziness. At my last visit to the tip a hilux pulls up on the weigh bridge as I am paying.
The attendant is shocked "7 tonnes! you are over loaded".  She then tells the blokes how many THOUSANDS of dollars it costs to dump 5 tonnes. It was stacked with a lot of bricks. They turned around and left.

I wonder where the bricks ended up?

mike