Author Topic: Help me plan the "Big Trip"!  (Read 4672 times)

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
Help me plan the "Big Trip"!
« on: December 21, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »
O.K., so here's the deal. My boss (me!) has graciously agreed to give me some extra leave next year, and I'd like to do my big "outback" trip. The Prado is currently being given some mods, the trailer is ready (more or less...) so what I need is a plan.

I'm thinking maybe 4 weeks, starting and finishing here in east Vic, and trying to see a good selection of Australia's outback sights. Don't want to break camp EVERY night, so probably thinking of up to 10-12 big driving days tops. Let's call it 5-6000km as a ballpark figure. So come on MySwaggers - tell me where I absolutely MUST visit.

I'm fine on dirt, moderate river crossings, moderate 4wd tracks and as little tough sand as possible (old petrol Prado and heavy trailer!). I'm thinking maybe as far north as Longreach, over to Alice, down via Flinders Ranges and maybe the National Rally, and anything in between worth seeing/doing.
Any starters?
Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Help me plan the "Big Trip"!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »
What time of year??

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »
Probably heading off in September 2011.
Set your chickens free

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
I will be doing some of that area but much earlier, Canberra to Charleville Birdsville Boulia Alice Kings Canyon Ayres Rock Gunbarrel to WA coast Broome Halls Creek Bungles Tanami Track Alice Oodnadatta Track and home to Canberra, If you want to make it earlier you can tag along some of the way.

Wil

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 05:47:14 AM »
Mercy sakes alive look like wegot ourselves A CONVOY !
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:40:44 AM »
I will be doing some of that area but much earlier, Canberra to Charleville Birdsville Boulia Alice Kings Canyon Ayres Rock Gunbarrel to WA coast Broome Halls Creek Bungles Tanami Track Alice Oodnadatta Track and home to Canberra, If you want to make it earlier you can tag along some of the way.

Wil

Don't forget to give us a yell once in Broome.. And it's now the Tanami road  :'(
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:20:18 AM »

Wil
When are you heading off Wil?
Set your chickens free

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 10:02:16 AM »
About 6 March

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 08:59:57 PM »
Bit early for me sorry - sounds like a good trip though. How long are you allowing to do Canberra to Birdsville? I'm pretty sure that'll be part of my route, but I'll likely stretch it up to Longreach.

Canberra was my home as a kid - camped alot in what's now suburbia. Any good campsites around these days?

Cheers,

Cam

Set your chickens free

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »
About a week to Birdsville then stay a couple of days.  There is plenty of camping around Canberra but I prefer to be somewhere else when camping.

Wil

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:29:43 PM »
Hi,
You'll have a hoot!!
We did Coffs Harbour, NSW to the centre and back.
We did Coffs to Lightning Ridge via Moree. Can recommend hot springs and opal fossicking. Then Bourke via Bre (the fish traps are worth a look) to do the Jandra paddle steamer. Wilcannia via Cobar. The Darling is a must see and Wilcannia is a great spot to find out all about it. White Cliffs (more fossicking) then to Broken Hill via Mutiwinji National Park - there is great camping here and good cultural and geographical stuff here too. We stayed in White Cliffs and just visited the NP for the day. I wish we did it the other way. Broken Hill, Silverton for the pub and good camping at Penrose Park (especially if you have kids). In BH go up the Line of Lode, head out to the Sculpture Park and be ready for wicked sunsets.
From there we crossed the border and headed to the flinders Ranges. Wipena Pound is great but we stayed at Brachina Gorge – perfect, cheaper, quieter and nicer! Next we headed up the Oodnadatta stopping at Lake Eyre viewing points and had a great nights stay at Cameron Springs. I think this is a must do! We stopped along the way and made the kids names out of sleepers. I wish I’d taken GPS co-ords now! We turned off at Williams Creek and headed to Copper Pedy. We took a tent and pitched it underground at the caravan park. They let us put the camper up too so we didn’t need to unpack everything. We stayed there to long but you never know when you plan these things. Not that mush to do.
Off to Uluru we stayed at Curtin Springs about an hr from Uluru. Cheap as (just pay for showers) and a good idea. Uluru camping area has a queue literally miles long to get onsite in the afternoon. We got there about 11am and drove straight in. Then we had the arvy to look around. You need at least 3 nights so you can do Kata Tjuta, sunset, sunrise, a walk or bike ride, the cultural centre etc. Then on to Watarrka. Book in advance - there are less sites in each caravan park. We headed out via the Mereenie Loop Road with no problems, picked up supplies in Hermansburg and then went into Palm Valley. The NT has NP camping sewn up. They put on info talks, gas bbqs, showers and charge reasonable rates. NSW could learn lots! Next, 8 days in Alice. You need all of it. We headed back out to the West MacDonalds and did all the sites. We overnighted with the tent to Chambers Pillar (another must see) and did bits of Alice. We were also there for the Camel Cup - a real hoot!!
We drove back east via the Plenty / Donohue Hwy with no problems and came home too quickly via Boulia, Winton, Longreach, Blackall, Mitchell and Goondi. It was too fast and I need to do this area all over. So much to see. But we managed a hot springs swim everywhere (Blackall is great) and the Stockmans Hall of Fame.
We were gone 5 weeks. We towed the Jayco Outback Eagle without a problem. We had some short and some long stays but we tried not to drive for more than half a day and especially not on the last leg home - Boulia to Coffs.
Must see for me in order Uluru!, Uluru!, Uluru!, Chambers Pillar, Flinders Ranges, well everything really.
Let me know if you need more info. I kept a diary including kms, prices, distances and other bits. Of course I have pictures too.
I can't recommend it enough.
Just do it!
J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline fugwurgin

• Learning the Ropes
  • Living the dream travelling Oz with my family
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 09:55:10 PM »
Hi Cam

Sounds like you have quite a job ahead of you, trying to plan such an amazing adventure. Shame about your timeframe. We did the  red centre way too fast and need to do it again(what a shame-lol). Ditto on staying at Curtain Springs as suggested above, when we arrived there it was pouring rain and we decided to setup there for a freebie till the rain cleared before going to yulara and paying top dollar for a site for a few nights and have it rain. If you need to buy fuel, top up at Erldunda at the turnoff as the curtain springs roadhouse was quite expensive, fuel at yulara was actually much cheaper than expected.
If you call into Coober Pedy, i recommend the Stuart Range CV park and do yourself a favour and try a pizza from the office\kitchen- yum! try your luck at noodling for opals, and make sure you visit the underground church!!

have a great trip.

Anth.
one fiance, one 3 yr old son, one Off Road Camper Trailer and one hell of a good time! Doin it CT style, waltzing all over this great land.

Offline blackcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • We are the Lucky Blackcats - we own a CT :-)
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 07:27:54 AM »
We did a 4 week trip last September, from Melbourne. We drove from Melbourne to Mildura, Peterborough, Leigh Creek, onto the Oodnadatta track stopping first and having a look around Farina, stayed at Cowards Springs. Onto William Creek, copped a fair bit of rain and had to stay at Kulgera, onto alice springs, the west McDonnell ranges, Kings Canyon via the Meerenie Loop Rd, Uluru, Coober Pedy, Port Augustus, then across the Broken Hill, Mungo NP, then back home again via Mildura. This is of course a very brief run down of the route we travelled and there is so much to see and do! Feel free to PM me if you would like any further info. Just get out there and do it, you wont regret it and you'll have a fantastic time!

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 07:50:28 AM »

Hi Cam, don't stress if you feel your not a 'seasoned outback traveller', moderate 4wd skills is all you need (it's pretty flat out there!) but a mechanical aptitude and knowing your vehicle will get you home - this is what outback travel is all about!

The first time we went west we had little idea of what to expect, or the 'remoteness' danger constantly lurking. But a positive attitude to all things that halt progress is a big helper.

I look forward to reading about your adventure!  :D

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'll have to spread the maps out over Chrissy and start working out a plan that takes in some of your suggestions. Yeah - I know no trip will be long enough, but that's what get's you back next time!

Sounds like none of these places will take me too far from the travelling hordes, so given I'll be travelling solo, do you think UHF is sufficient coms? (plus a mobile of course). Can't imagine any of this trip will take me to anywhere I won't see fellow humans for long periods. Does anyone carry an epirb as an emergency plan?

Keep the suggestions coming - especially if there's any must-do sights not mentioned yet. Nothing worse than getting back from a trip only to have someone say "I hope you saw XXXXX while you were there - it's AWESOME!"  >:(

Cheers,

Cam

Set your chickens free

Offline mark40

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 06:13:02 PM »
If you are going to Longreach it's not far to Winton. If you have time it is a great place to visit and see the sights. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The Waltzing Matilda Centre is fantastic and so is Lark Quarry (well worth the 200k round trip).  We went in Sept this year and had no problems apart from a little bit of rain that closed a few roads, but the local copper's helped us out. UHF comms were enough for us as there is always someone around that area. We are keen to go again as we had limited time.          Have a great trip.