Author Topic: Boondooma Dam - camp sites  (Read 7738 times)

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
Boondooma Dam - camp sites
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »
Anyone planning on going to Boondooma dam this week might want to think twice if you are hoping for an unpowered site.  The water level came up so high today there is virtually no camping areas that aren't under water.  95% of campers had to pack up once or twice over the weekend, but this morning at around 2 - 3pm it hit an alltime high and was still rising.  They are expecting more water over the next 4 days.  So predict a lot of the bitumen roads around the lower camping areas will be under water.

I would post photos but hubby is still out there and I left him the camera to take more photos as it rises further this week.

Peanut

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
Re: Boondooma Dam - camp sites
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 09:37:30 PM »

I'm planning to spend some time out there over Xmas.  Luckily my campsite will never go under water ... but it's a 20k ride to see the dam itself.  I'll let the oldies know to head out there with the camera!  They were fishing last week and said some campers had come out and "pre-set up" the camp intending to return the following week ... and they had water through the campsite then.

Can't wait to see it ... this was my last photo of the dam wall ... Mothers Day 2009.  We went to the Burandowan Races later that day.

This one taken the very next day at the famous Yarraman Bakery Fire ...

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:13:45 AM »
Kit_e

One of the old Sunwater guys was there yesterday morning and he said the best it ever did was 1.4m over the spillway.  It peaked at 2.57m last night at 6pm.  The park/playground is all underwater. The BBQ's were gone from site yesterday arvo.  The road between the kiosk and new toilet block is underwater.  There is a small commune camping up on the bitumen at the far boat ramp.  That was the only dry spot over there.  They were hoping they were going to be safe.  The road near the kiosk boat ramp which winds around to the big toilet block is underwater.  I am glad we were there to see it, because probably will never see it again, except this coming weekend, when they are predicting similar weather to what we just had. 

So now we have a high and dry site, we can only say bring it on.  And sorry if you own one of the tents, the caravan or 5th wheeler which are partially or totally underwater now.

Peanut

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:40:06 AM »
 :worthles:
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:02:51 AM »
Sorry Griz

I left the camera with hubby because he is still camping out there for another couple of weeks yet.

Peanut

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:10:45 PM »

Well drop in and see me on your way out there or back Peanut2.  Dad makes a mean "Bailey's".

I think we'll be there Xmas arvo (maybe late) or lunch the next day ... well to Ma n Pa's anyhoo.
You'll recognise the car driving around and if we've unhitched the camper, you'll be able to see it from the road out to the dam!

Kit_e
My Blog

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »
Kit_e

I am heading back out on Xmas Eve late arvo.  But if you get to the dam, we are now camped between the kiosk and the day toilets.  It was what we thought would remain a dry spot for the upcoming rain.

Peanut

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 04:18:25 PM »

Hi,

Mum sent me these photos today.  They are effectively on an island with the dam on one side.  Bridges are 5ft under all around them.  Might have to make a plan B for Xmas ...

Kit_e

P.S.  At least the kids are having a ball ...
My Blog

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 03:07:58 PM »
Piccys

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »
More piccys

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 03:12:42 PM »
Another one

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 03:15:26 PM »
A few more

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
Another couple

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 07:52:12 PM »

Thanks Peanut2!  Can't make it out there myself alas.  In fact, haven't left Brisbane.  The olds say stay home as the postie is having trouble getting through so ...  *sigh*

Kit_e
My Blog

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 08:34:12 PM »
Kit_e the dam was closed to the public yesterday anyway so you can't get in.  Those already camped are okay.  No boating allowed either - only fishing from the shoreline until further notice.  Our campsite is still set up but springs were breaking out everywhere under our tarp, so we are home for a few days.  Decided to bring the ski boats home (ours and a friends) until the water is re-opened to boats.  Hope to still get back for New Years Eve.  We have paid our camping fees up to Saturday, so we are still able to get back in.

The far camp sites over towards the walking track are like quicksand.  It claimed a new landcruiser on the weekend.  Took a landcruiser attached to a  troopy with a winch to get him out.  Neither one on there own could pull him out of the soup.

I see it come up 1/2 metre higher than what our photos have shown.

Peanut

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »
where does that water hit the coast

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 06:39:15 PM »
Into the Burnett River and out to Bundaberg.

Peanut

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 07:26:23 PM »
We were there in the middle of November and it was pretty high then, but gee wizz that's unreal. I thought I seen that 5th wheeler out there then.  Thanks for the updates Peanut
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 12:52:18 AM »
Thanks for the piccies guys, we stayed there last easter. Campsites we stayed at are now underwater by those photos.
I, along with a lot of other joe's i am sure, want to go up just for a look :)

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 09:07:52 PM »

Peanut2,

We are hoping to make it up there in the next few days (gotta get out of Brisvegas before we go completely bonkers) to see my olds.  Is the road out there good to travel?  We'll be going via the Tingoora Pub rather than Wondai ... just wondering if there is anything we should worry about from Kingaroy?  We'll be in the 4bie and aren't prone to stupidity.  I believe it's all clear with caution up to Nanango, but know nothing from there ...

Kit_e
My Blog

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 09:27:28 PM »
The road out from Kingaroy should be all dry now.  When we came back on Monday there were many water crossings.  Hubby is going out tomorrow morning and I will be going out tomorrow arvo and I expect the road to be dry all the way.  I am sure there will be plenty of potholes, but they are everywhere at the moment due to all the rain.

At this stage we might stay the weekend and then pack everything up and see if we can get the van out.  If not, it will have a few more sleep-overs.  We also have a friend coming over from the Sunshine Coast.  The dam is back open to fishing boats only.  So no skiing yet - bugger.  We might have to move to Bjelke Petersen Dam.  Not sure if the dam is open there or not.

Looks like a pretty quiet New Years at Boondooma this year.  Apparently there are only 3 or 4 camps left.  Everyone else went home on Monday or Tuesday.  There are a few from Bundy who can't go home so there might be a small gathering out there tomorrow night.

Peanut

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »

Thanks Peanut2.   ;D  I'll try to stop by for a visit.

Kit_e
My Blog

Offline Timbo2002

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 12:32:55 PM »
Guys,

BP dam is open, we were planning on heading to Boondooma Dam before it was closed. My group are now at BP dam and said access into there was all good. We are heading up there in about 2 hrs for the weekend baording and good times. Here is hoping the weather stays hot like it has been and some nice blue ski would be great too.

Timbo.

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:48 PM »
Boondooma reopened to all boating activities on New Years Day.  We counted 7 camps in total.  Never seen so few camps ever.  The water was just perfect for skiing.  Maybe 2 or 3 boats and that was it.  The campers started to roll in yesterday (3rd).  But the weekend was very quiet.  There were a few day trippers arrived on Sunday.  That was the day that our pots were raided and red claw stolen.  Hope someone enjoyed them.  We had a few in each pot in the morning (which we left in them) and none mid afternoon.  Anyway the weather and water on the weekend made up for all the crap weather from the previous few weeks.

Peanut