Author Topic: Electric brake assemblies  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Peachy

• Learning the Ropes
Electric brake assemblies
« on: December 17, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »
I've got a Chinese no-name (Blanc Australia???) rear fold and found that the wires to the magnet had been pinched somehow. I managed to connect them but the whole assembly looks pretty average so I thought I might upgrade them. Thing is I know nothing about this stuff but it doesn't really look that difficult. I assume it can be either a 10" or 12" assembly, and as it's a cheap Chinese job I'd assume its a 10" (I didn't run a tape over anything when the hub was off  >:( ). Now there's a few options on ebay for a 10" with handbrake, there are "offroad" models and then there are the Alko ones sitting on the shelf at Road Tech Marine. My questions are
1. Am I right that it's a 10"? They have a 4 bolt pattern mounting at the back.
2. Should I steer clear of the ebay ones and fork out for an Alko?
3. Is there anything else I may have missed or something you smart people can advise on?

Thanks

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Electric brake assemblies
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
Hi Peachy, Take photos of it all and take a measurement of the brake drum and from the tip to the tip of each stub axle, Be cheaper to put new brake pads and magnets in if everything else is in good nick, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Peachy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 06:38:00 AM »
Thanks Craig. For the amount I'd spend on mags and shoes I may as well get new assemblies. Also what are people's thoughts on running bearing buddies instead of the normal dust caps? Seems easier to give a couple of pumps of grease into a bearing buddy every 6 months or XXXXkms.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 07:35:57 PM »
I'd go Alko and bearing buddies won't substitute for well greased quality bearings you probably need to change at the same time. All you need do is feel your hubs regularly on the road to make sure there's no heat buildup indicating problems ahead. No excuse for failed wheel bearings as they give plenty of warning checking like that. You might want to question the quality of the axle at the same time though.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.