Author Topic: Camping with a four legged member of the family  (Read 3420 times)

Offline aussieswag

• Learning the Ropes
Camping with a four legged member of the family
« on: April 30, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »
Probably been asked here before but a fresh topic might be good. How many of us go camping with their four legged family members ( Small Dog )and what do you do with them when you get to a camp ground that doesn't allow pets. Obviously you could just try and hide the little blighter but that is sort of criminal. To those of us that may have and got caught what was the penalty did you just get asked to leave or is there a fine.Also if you leave them at camp site do you just leave them on a lead or has anyone tried the collapsible pet cages available on eBay. You collective thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Camping with a four legged member of the family
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 09:08:03 PM »
We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We try to take her most times depending on trip duration. Our first preference is dog friendly camp spots otherwise she doesn’t go. Haven’t risked taking the dog to a non pet camp spot. If she is camping and we have to go out she is locked in the camper as she is happy to sleep a lot but that is rare that we do go out.
The following users thanked this post: aussieswag

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 09:30:23 PM »
We have 2 staffies that usually go everywhere with us. Bit hard to keep them inconspicuous.
We dont bother with no dogs allowed spots. Since we usually free camp anyway, its not usually a problem. If its a trip thats to NPs etc, then we will leave them at home. Towns near NPs may have pet sitters around that will take care of them while you visit if your on the road.
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 11:06:06 PM »
As Glen has referred, there are pet sitters in town areas.
You will have to do some research.
I have heard them referenced before, just not sure where.
Camps Books, ExploreOz Forum, might have even been on an obscure forum called MySwag.
You might even get a result on Google, just not sure any more.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
Quote from: glenm64
1 - We dont bother with no dogs allowed spots.
2 - If its a trip thats to NPs etc, then we will leave them at home.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »
There are other threads. HEAPS of us camp with our dogs!

This is our little guy pretending he loves camping. If there's a chair. And the flies aren't bothering him. Because he doesn't really do nature. 😂

I actually made up a t-shirt design for our pathetic excuse for a t-shirt store that says "I just want to go camping and hang with my dog", because that is basically my life in a nutshell and I wanted a t-shirt that said that. Probably will never sell a single one to anyone else. Haha. Happy to share the link if anyone else wants one, otherwise I won't bother.

And now the on-topic helpful stuff...

There are SO MANY dog friendly camping options, and SO MANY people travelling with dogs! The main places they can't go is anywhere indoors (obviously, with the exception of a few dog-friendly accomodation places like some Airbnb's, but that's not camping, so...) and National Parks. Many cafes are dog-friendly in outdoor eating areas (we have been turned away from a few, but this is rare). A lot of country pubs are fine with dogs in outdoor areas as long as they are well behaved. There's a lot of caravan parks that allow dogs, but probably more that don't. Most/many free-camping spots seem to allow dogs (that said we only search for the ones that do). YouCamps are often quite OK with having dogs at bush camping properties. Many 4WD parks that have camping around here let you take dogs...

Basically, you can make it work. There are all sorts of tricks to seeing and doing things with dogs on the road. We know people who have set up their cars and/or caravans to be dog-safe to leave them in for few-hour visits to National Parks and tourist attractions (check out "Sparkys on the Loose" - a young couple full-time travelling Australia with their dog. They have some great YouTube videos showing how they've set up their car so its safe to leave her when they go into a shop, or how they've made it work leaving her in the van for few-hour trips, while still ensuring she's safe and comfortable).

We have to do a day-trip somewhere that we can't take our little guy next week, so we booked him in for day boarding at a kennel. He's my "baby" (childless couple, don't judge us!) so I'm a bit precious where I leave him. My tip is call the local vet clinics and ask for their recommendations for boarding kennels in the area. They know the good and the bad, believe me! Some clinics will even offer boarding, especially if its only for a day and you only have a small dog... Dog sitters are another option, and more and more websites and apps are popping up to help you connect with people who offer their services doing this.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:45:52 AM by trinityalyce »
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »
We only stay in dog friendly places too.  If the dog can't go then neither do we.  Longreach Vet is one place we have day boarded her while we went exploring. Bendigo Vet hospital boarded for a day when we had to attend a funeral and the outside temperature was in the 40's..  Grand cost of each place was $25 for the day but worth so much more to us in peace of mind knowing there would be no escape or issues with a doggy day care person....

So many dog friendly caravan parks now and many also have dog friendly cabins if like us you o travel home with a dry camper only to find the last night is going to be wet...

I do all my research before we go and have a list of dog friendly caravan parks with cabins; Dog friendly camping areas; Veterinary services with hours open and emergency phone numbers and a miriad of other doggy related info for the route we are taking.
We carry a doggy first aid kit and one of those cold packs which you can activate by squeezing - worked a treat recently when she was stung by a european wasp.... still a visit to the vet but gave her some interim relief while we got there and reduced the swelling in the area to very mild. 

Also pays to ask around when you get to a location if there are any baiting programs in the area.   Flinders Ranges/Arkaroola areas regularly conduct them and if you miss the signs (allegedly displayed) on the fences the outcome won't be good.   The baits often used look like dried up pieces of kabana (twiggy stick things) and are sometimes carried off the property by birds.  In unknown areas or when in the Flinders Ranges our little girl has a soft muzzle which she wears when out of the car.   For instance Rawnsley park Station is dog friendly and never heard of any problems with dogs and baits in their area but not far from there ....beware.

Snakes are another issue to be aware of.  Also they don't hibernate so on a lovely warm day even in winter there is a possibility they could be out to grab a few rays......

All that said, enjoy the experience our little girl loves camping and is so excited as the camper goes up... in and out the doors, tail wagging.... a joy to behold.
Cheers.
Desert Lover
The following users thanked this post: loanrangie

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »
Yep, the dogs go or no one does. I prefer to free camp anyway but a dog friendly park is the next best thing.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »
We only stay in dog friendly places too.  If the dog can't go then neither do we.

^^^ THIS ^^^

he's family. I'd no more leave him at home than I would the wife...

(hmmmmm)

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »
^^^ THIS ^^^

he's family. I'd no more leave him at home than I would the wife...

(hmmmmm)

I think the wife would leave me at home rather than leave the dog at home...

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 03:17:58 PM »
Not that you needed anymore but if they don't accept dogs we will leave them at home (a Great Dane is hard to hide) and have a family friend house sit for us.

Most of the time we take them with us and just find dog friendly places to go, never really had an issue.
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
Same here, Wikicamps lets us know where is dog friendly. We have our Border Collie with us for our 4 month trip. Also bought some Lazy Pegs. Drive one in at the right distance for our van and any outside dangers and attach a plastic coated steel cable we had made up, 5 metres long. She is happy as on it. Also have a fold up bed for her or if cold or wet a cage as you mentioned off Ebay. It has a water proof cover. Yes it is different travelling with a dog but there are the positives and it makes you walk more exercising the dog.  Majority of places welcome dogs and we try to free camp mostly.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 09:38:30 PM »
Not that you needed anymore but if they don't accept dogs we will leave them at home (a Great Dane is hard to hide) and have a family friend house sit for us.

Most of the time we take them with us and just find dog friendly places to go, never really had an issue.
Do you take a van for the Great Dane, and sleep in a swag yourself??
There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »
I think the wife would leave me at home rather than leave the dog at home...

My husband knows this is true  ;D

Also, someone mentioned already about snakes... If you are travelling with a dog, be wary of the risks. 1080 baits, tick paralysis, snake bite, ensuring vaccines/worming/etc. are up to date (some areas are high risk for Parvo, for example, and other areas may have more unique vaccine requirements so make sure you talk to your vet if you're widely travelling with your dog as they may have additional recommendations). Even little things like making sure grass seeds aren't getting stuck in their eyes/ears, controlling skin allergies if your pup is predisposed, etc. Our guy is on-lead anywhere we don't know what's lurking around, and basket muzzles are a good idea when there's baits but you want to allow them to be off-lead...

Yep, vet in me is speaking here. But its important to think about. Some places people take their dogs are hours away from the closest vet clinics... being aware of the risks and taking steps to minimise issues is a sensible consideration.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »
Do you take a van for the Great Dane, and sleep in a swag yourself??

ROFL, the Dane isn't even ours, it's our son's. We are just carers when he is not there. The Dane was fine on the hard floor of the Kimberly, the problem came about when he decided he needed to sleep on the bed with us!!

2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »
My husband knows this is true  ;D

Also, someone mentioned already about snakes... If you are travelling with a dog, be wary of the risks. 1080 baits, tick paralysis, snake bite, ensuring vaccines/worming/etc. are up to date (some areas are high risk for Parvo, for example, and other areas may have more unique vaccine requirements so make sure you talk to your vet if you're widely travelling with your dog as they may have additional recommendations). Even little things like making sure grass seeds aren't getting stuck in their eyes/ears, controlling skin allergies if your pup is predisposed, etc. Our guy is on-lead anywhere we don't know what's lurking around, and basket muzzles are a good idea when there's baits but you want to allow them to be off-lead...

Yep, vet in me is speaking here. But its important to think about. Some places people take their dogs are hours away from the closest vet clinics... being aware of the risks and taking steps to minimise issues is a sensible consideration.

Great advice but you forgot on more thing when in the north of our country, cane toads.
Only 10 min ago coming up from the shed our boy spotted a toad,I made sure he had a good taste of water on his toungue when inside just in case.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 07:02:58 PM »
We no longer have a dog....

We seem to have a dinosaur now...