Author Topic: Buying a CT this year, looking at Trak Shak, what else fits the bill?  (Read 2572 times)

Offline AussieAnth

• Learning the Ropes
Hi Everyone. Hope I chose the right area for this question. This is my first MySwag post.

Im a keen camper with a 4x4, a growing young family (3 kids under 2yo) in NE Melbourne, and I'm going to buy my first CT this year.
I've been paying attention to whats out there and went to the Melb caravan camping & touring show last year.

Was initially looking at a Camel Camper after seeing the build quality and quick to set up, but new they're a bit pricey for my budget.
Then I got interested in hybrid caravan style setups, like Black Series Patrons or Opus.  But I've gone off the idea as I want an inside area for my young kids.

Recently saw the Trak Shak, and it seems to tick all my boxes - bigger than a folding hard floor, super quick to set up, robust and independent suspension.
They're a little on the basic side in terms of creature comforts and gadgets, but I guess there's less to go wrong with them.

I'm just wondering what other models might meet my requirements (see below)

1) Living space must be a decent size. A standard folding hard floor is too small for us. We have a Toddler plus new twins, so as we gro we'll need  a bit of indoor and external covered space under an annex.  Happy to exend that with our gazebo or add-on canvas down the track when necessary.

2) Internal sleeping space for 2 adults and 3 kids. Kids will eventually get their own swags or tents when they're closer to 10yo, but thats 8+ years away.

3) Quick setup. I know its usually a compromise between quick setup like a hard floor, and big space you see in soft floor campers. I want to be able to get base canvas up and ready in a few minutes at most, on my own.  My wife will be wrangling 3 young excited kids when we pull into a campsite, so I probably wont be able to rely on her help initially.

4) I plan on taking it 4x4 camping (high country, outback touring, bush camping, etc), but nothing particularly hardcore. I just want it to be robust and capable.

5) Independent suspension. More so for offroad clearance and towing at speed.

6) Budget is about $12,000 max.

Any suggestions on specific models?
2007 Trak Shak

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Buying a CT this year, looking at Trak Shak, what else fits the bill?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
You'll get a half decent trakshak for that budget. We had one while the kids were smaller and you have the correct opinion of them - simple, fast to put up, big internal volume. I'd take independent suspension off my list of must haves at that price point. Just not necessary. Nice, sure, necessary no. Not all trakshaks are independent either, ours wasn't and it did some pretty crazy stuff over the years. Good luck with the search.
The following users thanked this post: AussieAnth

Offline Malooski

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »
We have a 2013 Trak shak and love it. So much room. Just spent 3 weeks in it at Bremer Bay with 3 kids (15, 9, 6) all sleeping inside and out of the rain. Agree with your comments regarding the creature comforts. I'm looking to improve on these as I have a more specific idea on what I want now.
Cheers Ash

2008 Ti Patrol, 3.0l CRD, 5 sp towing 2013 Trak Shak

Offline John T (NSW)

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 05:08:33 PM »
Hi there

I have a 2007 Trak Shak for sale on ExpolrOz if you want to have a look at the ad. I am in Tamworth NSW.

Thee are a few extras that come with the TS so we might be able to discuss price

Cheers

John T
"Argue for you limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in his book "Illusions"
John T (NSW)

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 05:35:39 PM »
A TrakShak would be ideal for your family, and your use.

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Shippo

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »
Have a look at Deluxe campers from Woodside in SA. Very similar to trakshaks in design ('almost' an exact copy!) And very solidly built. Inlaws have one and its great. Prices are reasonable too.
2004 V6 Toyota Prado. Coromal Magnum 440 XC Rally