Author Topic: On-line Purchasing  (Read 8952 times)

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
On-line Purchasing
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:01:41 AM »
I know a lot of guys out there are like me, in that we either don't have time to buy things in a shop (me), or you can't source things locally. There is also the competition, that a lot of things are cheaper on-line. The biggest problem is the wait, when it comes to buying on-line.

Anyway, I'm personally an eBayer and I use Paypal. It's been that way for years, and I have over 500+ on-line orders through eBay alone. Recently, however, I have noticed a great decline in customer service and quality from both eBay and Paypal.

In fact, I had a bad experience the other week in regards to buying an item that was advertised as wireless, which it wasn't. I complained to eBay, and eBay advised (5 days after I contacted them) to open a dispute with Paypal, and leave feedback (which in my case, would be negative--the first in about 500 orders). They also said that I should sort it out with the seller (critical point). So to cut the story short, I did that, lost the Paypal case, eBay removed my negative feedback that I left (after advising me to leave it), and the seller ended up taunting me.

I'm over the rage, etc. from both eBay and Paypal, and decided just to share my experience instead.

Recently, I needed a new brake master cylinder kit. So I looked on eBay. Found something, contacted the seller. Heard nothing back, end of story. Decided that because of my experiences, I won't buy on eBay, so I did a Google search and found someone else (msg me if you want to know who), that I ALSO emailed, and got an email back an hour later at 6:00PM (good service!) advising me which kit to buy. Yes, I got the kit, and the upcoming weekend will show if it's the right one or not ;D Very good service!

So I have to ask the question now when buying on eBay... in the past it was good, but maybe I have had a bad ride with them removing my feedback and Paypal giving me a bad run too (long story). Also, I have sent multiple emails to eBay about help with some sellers, and they simply do not respond as with Paypal.

I personally feel more vulnerable than ever when purchasing through eBay and Paypal.

What do you guys think?
Tim
IT and Graphics
2004 TD Hilux SR5 with double bed (aka. fibreglass roof-top tent)

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: On-line Purchasing
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:15:53 AM »
The family and I have used EBay a lot over the years and i have only ever had one unresolved issue. I ordered an item (from China I think) and anyway an envelope arrived a few weeks later with a small cloth bag in it and definately not what I ordered. I did the same as you and raised a dispute and got bugger all response from PayPal until a couple of weeks later advising the same course of action which I followed. The seller advised me that they had sent the item I ordered and it basically came down to my word against theirs and they had the only evidence (dispatch / freight records).

I didn't bother leaving a bad feedback as I knew it would be removed. I put it down to a bad experience and haven't had it happen again.

Rod 

Offline Suncruise

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
Isn't this you Autoelecau

http://stores.ebay.com.au/autoelecau?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

It appears you are quite a major ebay vendor I would have thought you would be quite comfortable with the process?

Marschy

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »
Most of my online purchases have been through Aliexpress of late. Although they can't supply a lot of gear for camping, the postage options leave ebay for dead for other items.

I've just received a GoPro knockoff camera from China in 7 business days. I have never had that level of service from ebay as most of the Chinese sellers only offer free postage that takes upwards of 4 weeks to arrive, quite often for the same price including shipping from Aliexpress.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:31:39 AM »

What do you guys think?

Can I be blunt here.  Yeah, lets be blunt.

Most of use ebay to be a cheap arse.  Most of the time it works out okay.  Sometimes our cheap arseness bites us on our cheap arse and our butt hurts a bit.

Swings and roundabouts. 

:)
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
Everyone relies on Ebay these days
Look at nearly any thread (myself inc) where people are shopping for an item, and the link they ask about is *EBAY*..

Why should ebay give a **** if you get ripped off..  your 1 of 500,000,000+ users.. even if they lost a million users, they wouldn't care. + they know theres **** all you can do about it.

These figures were in 08.. imagine how much it would be now, and that they now own Gumtree too..
"By early 2008, the company had expanded worldwide, counted hundreds of millions of registered users, 15,000+ employees and revenues of almost $7.7 billion"

Quote from: Suncruise
It appears you are quite a major ebay vendor I would have thought you would be quite comfortable with the process?

FWIW - I had a reply to a Message I sent on Ebay by AutoelecAU at 11pm at night.. You cant ask for more than that. Plenty of happy users here.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:36:46 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 09:35:22 AM »
Quote from: Marschy
Most of my online purchases have been through Aliexpress of late. Although they can't supply a lot of gear for camping, the postage options leave ebay for dead for other items.

I've just received a GoPro knockoff camera from China in 7 business days. I have never had that level of service from ebay as most of the Chinese sellers only offer free postage that takes upwards of 4 weeks to arrive, quite often for the same price including shipping from Aliexpress.

HOw do you find them, whats the process - any oddities???
I've never used them, but I see LOTS of people here are now using them.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Marschy

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »
HOw do you find them, whats the process - any oddities???
I've never used them, but I see LOTS of people here are now using them.
My transaction count is still pretty low (10).

I have had one seller dud me by saying something was out of stock, and it was relisted at a higher price but they updated the status of my order as 'Shipped' so I had to open a dispute to get my money back, which happened without any issues.

Money is taken out of your account immediately, however not given to the supplier until you acknowledge receipt. It seems to work very well. The supplier doesn't get paid until delivery is confirmed. ebay could learn something from this.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
Quote from: Marschy
My transaction count is still pretty low (10).

I have had one seller dud me by saying something was out of stock, and it was relisted at a higher price but they updated the status of my order as 'Shipped' so I had to open a dispute to get my money back, which happened without any issues

Money is taken out of your account immediately, however not given to the supplier until you acknowledge receipt. It seems to work very well. The supplier doesn't get paid until delivery is confirmed.
I'll look into this I think

ebay could learn something from this.

I think Ebay got too big for itself and doesn't give a **** who the important people are - the customer distancing themselves from any problems that will cost them money....
The whole feedback setup is a farce.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:58:11 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »

Most of use ebay to be a cheap arse.  Most of the time it works out okay.  Sometimes our cheap arseness bites us on our cheap arse and our butt hurts a bit.

I have to agree.

What I disliked is that Paypal really pulled the wool over my eyes in regards to "buyer protection". If you pay for a horse, and get a cow, "Tough!" says Paypal. It just feels like one has to be as cautious as ever when purchasing on-line.

As for Autoelec being on eBay, I can assure you that it doesn't always work for us the way we would like... (and EXPENSIVE) but I'm not in a position to change or improve that. And yes, I have personally answered Autoelecau emails close to midnight too.
Tim
IT and Graphics

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »
Well i have bought a few things from u in the past and i have to admit your service has been brilliant and would not hestitate to buy from u on ebay. Cheers
Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 02:49:32 PM »
Well i have bought a few things from u in the past and i have to admit your service has been brilliant and would not hestitate to buy from u on ebay. Cheers
Wayne

+1.  very happy autoelecau customer here...  :cup:

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 02:54:08 PM »
First off I both buy and sell on Ebay, I believe I give very good service and I hope those that have purchased
from me agree. If a problem arises and a buyer contacts me I will work as fast as possible to resolve the issue,
keep in mind somethings, postage times etc are outside of the sellers control.

Sellers can also be out of pocket BY unscrupulous buyers who request basic postage and then say items didn't arrive
and other scam. After awhile they just shut down their paypal account and open another and off they go again.

From a purchaser perspective, I have purchased a lot of items and yes occasionally it goes wrong. I have only
had around three occasions when the problem couldn't be resolved with the seller, Paypal has always found in
my favor, even though in one case they indicated item had to be returned to seller, when I pointed out that
seller only had a PO box and you can't ship large items to a PO box they refunded on that one to. I have
had the wrong item delivered or a damage item delivered and have just started a claim for item significantly
different from goods described purchased and they have payed out no problem.

My one big bug bear is why should the buyer pay for the return of faulty of incorrectly supplied goods, if I send
the wrong item etc or the item is faulty I pay for the return postage and I believe all sellers should.

You can get caught out though as Paypal from memory will only payout if they can recover funds from the
seller, so if seller has no funds in his account they won't pay.

Cheers
Leigh     
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:03:50 PM by HKB Electronics »
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »
Quote from: fuji
Wayne

Yep, couldn't agree more
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=17820.0

Looking at their glowy rope at moment LOL!! funny thing for an autoelec to sell....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »
I have to agree.

What I disliked is that Paypal really pulled the wool over my eyes in regards to "buyer protection". If you pay for a horse, and get a cow, "Tough!" says Paypal. It just feels like one has to be as cautious as ever when purchasing on-line.

As for Autoelec being on eBay, I can assure you that it doesn't always work for us the way we would like... (and EXPENSIVE) but I'm not in a position to change or improve that. And yes, I have personally answered Autoelecau emails close to midnight too.

I too am a VERY satisfied Autoelecau cutsomer and know many others.
I like you have been burned and its got its good and bad.

I prefer to use ebay traders that are referred or recommended by existing customers for that reason.
There is one obvious golden rule.
"Always ask on "myswag" first".................. ;D

Ebay is a lottery. Just don't buy what you can't afford to waste.
I have had many pleasant experiences. Your business obviously being one. Don't let a few bad ones ruin it for you.
My business depends on word of mouth alone and I prefer to use ebay businesses that are disocovered the same way.
When I don't I always know its a gamble, but one worth the risk.
Win some lose some.

Just make sure you bad mouth them here so we don't use them!!!!!
(learn from someone else's experience...........)

Cheers
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 05:25:35 PM »
Thanks guys, the feedback always helps! The number 1 guy here is almost always available, and occasionally I get some emails sorted over the weekend (I'm not paid for it though :cheers: )

I too am a VERY satisfied Autoelecau cutsomer and know many others.
I like you have been burned and its got its good and bad.

I prefer to use ebay traders that are referred or recommended by existing customers for that reason.
There is one obvious golden rule.
"Always ask on "myswag" first".................. ;D

Ebay is a lottery. Just don't buy what you can't afford to waste.
I have had many pleasant experiences. Your business obviously being one. Don't let a few bad ones ruin it for you.
My business depends on word of mouth alone and I prefer to use ebay businesses that are disocovered the same way.
When I don't I always know its a gamble, but one worth the risk.
Win some lose some.

Just make sure you bad mouth them here so we don't use them!!!!!
(learn from someone else's experience...........)

Cheers
Brian

Thanks Brian! :cheers: We have had some buyers that have had a really bad experience in the past for reasons out of our control (as Leigh mentioned), some of which go on a vigilante mission to wipe us out... in fact, someone has already assaulted my boss once... sad fact. Anyway, that's why I have personally volunteered to say g'day to you guys here and get to know some of you--we are real people here, and we really do care.

By the way, anyone should feel free to contact me though myswag.org also if they need to.
Tim
IT and Graphics

Offline Pog

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Insert personal text here...
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »
+ 1 as another very happy AutoElecau ebay purchaser.

I have never had any issues with Ebay in over 200 purchases other than 1 case where I bought some really cheap Oakley Sunglasses many years ago.

I didn't do any product research, nor did I check the buyer for feedback and recent transactions.

Since then, I ALWAYS do more product research, and know exactly what I am buying and what it would cost me elsewhere. Also, research the seller, if they look dodgy or don't have 100% feedback, then I am not really interested in them.

Pog
2013 Toyota Prado Altitude & Challenge Outback Deluxe Offroad Camper Trailer.
MY PRADO BUILD

Offline Barson

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 07:02:23 PM »
Another happy AutoElecau buyer. Ordered 3 items on Sunday and they arrived in the post today.

With a past purchase that hadn't arrived in what I thought was a reasonable time I contacted them and through their tracking they were able to advise the item had been waiting at the post office for 10 days ( all my mail goes to the post office) armed with these tracking details the post office were able to find this previously "undelivered" parcel.

Very happy.
Steve

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »
Another happy autoelecau buyer.....

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
See --------------  8) 8) 8)

Yet again the answer to all our problems is - MYSWAG....... :cup: :cheers: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
With a past purchase that hadn't arrived in what I thought was a reasonable time I contacted them and through their tracking they were able to advise the item had been waiting at the post office for 10 days ( all my mail goes to the post office) armed with these tracking details the post office were able to find this previously "undelivered" parcel.

I have had same experience with Auspost. Their employees just don't care and seem surprised when you are annoyed they have 'lost' your parcel when their tracking system states it is at the post office. They have another look and magically find it. Bring on competition I say.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »
I have got things from ebay, yet I'm not a member.
Only dealt with folks who I can call, then drive to see them, or pick up from warehouse.
If they have a phone number, and I know what it is they are selling that I am interested in, I call only.
Never had it go wrong yet.  ;D
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Jasman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »
My wife and buy plenty of stuff off ebay and have only ever had a couple of issues because our golden rule is we don't buy off anyone who doesn't have at least 99% feedback, have lots of recent sales and the feedback is for items that I'm buying not 10,000 $0.01 ebooks.  Also, I would never spend more than I could afford to loose because regardless of it not showing sometimes the item you take a punt on ends up being rubbish and you end up having to go out and buy a known brand locally to do the job properly.

For sellers they are getting too expensive in my opinion but I guess that's what happens when you have a monopoly.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:34:40 PM by Jasman »

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »

Just trying Aliexpress out myself for personal use. Their prices are worth considering, and I think that the system is definitely better than the eBay system. Haven't received the order yet, but I'll let you guys know how it goes. I've also been doing more looking on Google in general for better prices.

I think my biggest personal concern is, from my experience with buying on eBay, what happens if I need to return it for warranty? With this most-recent issue that I have had on eBay, do I get warranty if the device fails, even though I left negative feedback? So I'd rather pay $10 more these days on an item off eBay with a bit more of a guarantee that if something goes wrong, then I'll be covered.
Tim
IT and Graphics

Offline jetcrew

• "Lar's N Crew"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • The more you spend the less you go ? make sense!
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 10:56:25 AM »

And seeing the door has been opened ..there is more than account of yourselves removing negative feedback reported online..

Why would a company that uses ebay to trade then start a thread to bag out the very process that delivers them sales..or is it an attempt to convince customers to pay the in store prices which differ from the ebay site.

Before i get shot down as attacking another trader..The door has been opened in the general discussion section and I have before stated that these guys are one of the better ebay traders and on-line resellers..I do not even register as a blip on the radar in terms of trading with these guys so it's not an attempt to steal business.I am very happy with my little corner ;D

I am just confused as to the objective of the thread ??

Ebay is bad don't trade on the site ?  or what's the message from your business perspective.

Like I said dont shoot me down it,s not a commercial attack or anything I am just curious.

Jet ;D ;D
RV POWER SOLUTIONS
sales@rvpowersolutions.com.au
Solar and RV Power Specialists
https://www.facebook.com/pages/RV-Power-Solutions/1610471999204535