Author Topic: Opinions on upright fridges  (Read 3567 times)

Offline aussie ross

• Learning the Ropes
Opinions on upright fridges
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »
After 20 years of happy camper trailering in a Aussie Swag we are looking at the next stage in our camping life and I am designing a slide on camper (so we can tow the boat) to suit our needs. We want to use this like our camper, the passenger side will be kitchen behind a lift up door under a usable annex, so not a live inside. I have looked at nearly all the outfits being made and most use a drop down fridge slide so you can see in the fridge. I have a 60 litre Evakool so I would need the biggest and bulkiest slide and once I bought this I would be half way on the purchase price of a 60 l upright fridge. My thoughts once we went away more than a weekend we would also carry the Evakool either in the other side of the slide on or in the boat.
The two I am looking at are the Engel 57 or 80 litre or the Waeco Coolmatic 65 or 80 litre, all 12/240 volt units. They are being used inside campers, I saw the Ultimates Campers at the Brisbane 4x4 are using these Waecos. Most uprights seem to be 3 way and the ability of running on gas when sitting for a week or so is very attractive but they sit facing inward so they are all vented to the outside. The back of this would be inside the slide on in an open area.
 This will be on an extended cab so the fridge will be just forward of the rear wheels. Weight of these is the same as the Evakool, so a saving because there is no drop slide.
So does anyone have an opinion on these units or knowledge of the rules relating to 3 way fridges.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Opinions on upright fridges
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:39:31 AM »
The 3 way uses a heating element so i would say regs would mean it has to be vented to external.

An a practical side if you did not it would get really hot in there

An alternative may be that Waeco does an upright compressor fridge
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:45:07 AM »
We had the upright Waeco in our Jayco Hawk OB.
It was awesome, kept everything really cold and was pretty good on power consumption. Our 160w solar had no problems at all keeping up.

Without a doubt it was the best option we added to the Jayco and we added bloody near all of them!

:cheers:
Glenn

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:48:55 AM »
Ours was the compressor fridge, I wouldn't own the 3way Waeco if you give it to me.
We have camped with a few people that had them, awesome things if you like your beer warm ;D

:cheers:

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline Skinnee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 11:56:36 AM »
Added a waeco 110 to my ultimate , works really well.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 05:23:01 AM »
Another option , is to use a small household beer fridge and run it off an inverter, same sort of power usage as a camping fridge but at a greatly reduced price. When they bugger up , dump and buy another one.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 06:38:41 AM »
Be aware, a front opener will use more power than an equivalent top opener. Every time the door is opened, the cool air is exchanged for warm. They're very convenient, though.

Instead of a drop-slide, have you considered carrying a small folding step in the fridge compartment?
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 06:40:55 AM »
Over the years we have owned a waeco compressor chest fridge, didn't like it, so sold it, 2 x dometic upright 90l fridges in our coromal and Jayco swan campers, and now we have a 150litre in our coromal Poptop, I think they are great fridges... We also have an engle 40l fridge that sits in the back of the car when we travel.

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 07:06:56 AM »
We have the upright waeco 65lt in the camper. Great for stuff to keep cool. As mentioned very power hungry when opened as you loose a lot of cool air. We also use a 68lt evacool in the car when away.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline aussie ross

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 10:18:52 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I must admit I hadn`t thought about the cold air escape issue, but we will be 2 semi retirees no longer travelling with kids, and think the fact that things will be at eye height, and used for only every day items like milk, marg etc I don`t see us standing there with the door open making decisions.
Power usage is another issue. We have a 80 watt solar kit which I would like to add another 120 watts too and on extended trips carry a Honda generator with 25 amp/hr battery charger. At the moment every second day if in the situation where I can run a generator I will put the Evakool on to 240 volt and turn up to coldest and have the battery charger on battery and run for up to an hr. The slide on will have at least one 100 amp/hr battery, with a second battery in a case that could be added for longer stays and also once the slide on is removed from the vehicle this case could be put in the vehicle to charge while we are driving around. We have Anderson plugs everywhere and various length leads.
As I write this I am thinking I should draw this as a plan and ask for comment from the electrical experts on the forum.