Author Topic: Work and then play  (Read 3671 times)

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
Work and then play
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »
By way of background, I am a member of the younger working generation. I work in the IT area at work, which includes photography. I work every day of the week, and have the weekends off on a regular basis. On the weekends, I spend most of my time with family or travelling across the state to see my girlfriend. My mates "off days" are not as regular as mine, so we are like passing ships in the night when it comes to days off. Over all, it makes it very difficult to get out and about. I sometimes look at other guys with envy when they are able to get out and about, and wonder how they do it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just curious what others are doing, and if they have the same problem, or somehow make time one way or the other in the end?
Tim
IT and Graphics
2004 TD Hilux SR5 with double bed (aka. fibreglass roof-top tent)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Work and then play
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:59:43 AM »
Its never easy to arrange things with mates.. everyone has their own lifestyles... then kids hobbys get in the way

and in IT, regularly Shit has to be done after hours or on weekends...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MarkandLea

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »
My friends and I all seem to think in the same way. We all understand that life does get in the way from time to time.

What we have found works for us is. If one of us can get away we just let everyone know where and when. If anyone else can make it great. If not expect messages and photos from the ones that did.  ;D

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
My friends and I all seem to think in the same way. We all understand that life does get in the way from time to time.

What we have found works for us is. If one of us can get away we just let everyone know where and when. If anyone else can make it great. If not expect messages and photos from the ones that did.  ;D

Yep, just like that though some may get a bit antsy when you forget to invite them. oops! damn facebook.
[insert witty comment]

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 01:28:26 PM »
We have decided to work to live, not live to work.

My new job does not come with a company mobile phone as I am not going to be on call (First time in over 15 years I have not had a company mobile phone). I had great pleasure in letting them know that as they do not deem me suitable for a company phone I will not be aswering work calls on my personal mobile phone. I will also not be checking my emails remotely either.

Their choice, my benefit :D
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:02:49 PM »
It's never simple.  There are so many things to consider and everyone's priorities will be different.  Don't assume your attitude or approach will work for others.

I have some friends who seem to have almost limitless time to travel, camp, whatever.  One of them is very successful (in money terms) with flexible hours.  Most people who are earning or trying to earn a lot of money, often with a view to supporting their kids in the longer term, are not as lucky in terms of the hours they have available.  But it's a fine line between spending time with your family now vs working hard to ensure things are better (money-wise) in the future.

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »
All that input is helpful guys. Thanks!

I am earning fine, but all that gear just sitting there, waiting to be used... and all it gets is cat footprints on it! (I still have yet to profile what camping gear/setup I have!) Every time I pass it, I seem to let out a sigh...

I'm the same, Bunyip, no company mobile, so when I'm away I'm *gone*, and if I am presented with the possibility of a mobile phone, I will greatly consider all that!
Tim
IT and Graphics
2004 TD Hilux SR5 with double bed (aka. fibreglass roof-top tent)

Offline westvic

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 10:16:33 AM »
Best tip I can give is to lock in a date/time and just do it. The world wont stop if you are gone for a while  :D

If you wait for the perfect time it will never happen. If you wait for that special weekend with nothing on it wont happen.

cheers,
Steve

Getting there if half the fun

The other half is a cold beer when you do.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »
Best tip I can give is to lock in a date/time and just do it. The world wont stop if you are gone for a while  :D

If you wait for the perfect time it will never happen. If you wait for that special weekend with nothing on it wont happen.

cheers,
Steve

x2 sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go, just remember, you work to live NOT live to work. Knocking back a weekend away is like knocking back a root, no matter how many more you have, you never catch up, it's gone forever  :'(
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline westvic

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »
x2 sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go, just remember, you work to live NOT live to work. Knocking back a weekend away is like knocking back a root, no matter how many more you have, you never catch up, it's gone forever  :'(
and dont forget to take your dog  :cup:
Getting there if half the fun

The other half is a cold beer when you do.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 01:28:29 PM »
Issue i find is you need to set your perception on a role from the start

On a previous role i would always answer the calls work back or whatever had to be done and then it became the perception that i was the go to guy that would drop everything. To the point i had to threaten resignation to get 3 weeks leave for my honeymoon.

My current role it was simply made clear by me at the start that they will get a good 8 hrs out of me i will work back late and take calls but my leave is my leave and unless they are prepared to cover my airfares and reimburse all leave costs do not call me when im on hols so far this arrangement has worked well

Also through design or luck and me and the missus having no kids is that we seem to both change jobs about every 4 years and between jobs we usually take 3 to 4 months off for a big trip
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »
Im surprised that you actually have time off Tim. You must have good employees. ;D
Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 11:33:53 PM »

cheers,
Steve

x3. I work for myself and just take time off as required. I used to stress about not returning calls, not being able to get to a job on time etc, now I just take 2 weeks off and put the phone to messagebnk with an alternative number to call in emergencies. Still plenty of work when I get back!

Again as said above, just set a date and go for it. Some will come, some will cancel but as long as you're out there all is good!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC