Author Topic: Low beam lights  (Read 11965 times)

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Re: Low beam lights
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 10:30:15 PM »
Another one.
Why is it when your driving along minding your own beezwax, lights fully employed.  People come from behind a blind bend or a crest with their lights on low beam and get cranky.  Are you supposed to have xray vision?  Why can't they flash their lights up to let you know they exist, before they come into view.  Then you could do the right thing and all would be happy.
I mean 260W(Driving lights)+110W (low beam)+110W(high beam) all going, means I like to see where I'm going.
Also means I won't see someone's pair of candles in tin cans at all, untill my lights pick 'em out.
On the Cruiser the Low beam stays on with high beam.  That's just how it is.
Trucks are safe, with marker lights you can see and they usually flash, problems fixed.  It's just cretins in cars.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:42:06 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

KingBilly

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 06:49:53 AM »

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 08:32:06 AM »
I find this thread a bit odd. If your non standard / poorly adjusted lights are blinding others, it's their fault for getting pi$$ed off?
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 08:50:18 AM »
Are they legal?

KB

I didn't know there was a maximum wattage of bulb that is now part of legislation. Just had to meet relevant ADR I thought? In QLD anyhow.

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »
One has to be careful when annoying other people on the road on a regular basis, I have heard of cases of people going to the police with a description of the vehicle and licence plate information. At the end of the day, I wouldn't personally like the police to check my vehicle out and they end up finding something that they don't like... can be a big headache and very costly... (though it hasn't happened to me personally, as I said, I do try to make the average Joe happy) Several times I have heard the police say, "If it doesn't look right, then it probably isn't."
Tim
IT and Graphics
2004 TD Hilux SR5 with double bed (aka. fibreglass roof-top tent)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »
Another one.
Why is it when your driving along minding your own beezwax, lights fully employed.  People come from behind a blind bend or a crest with their lights on low beam and get cranky.  Are you supposed to have xray vision?  Why can't they flash their lights up to let you know they exist, before they come into view.  Then you could do the right thing and all would be happy.
I mean 260W(Driving lights)+110W (low beam)+110W(high beam) all going, means I like to see where I'm going.
Also means I won't see someone's pair of candles in tin cans at all, untill my lights pick 'em out.
On the Cruiser the Low beam stays on with high beam.  That's just how it is.
Trucks are safe, with marker lights you can see and they usually flash, problems fixed.  It's just cretins in cars.

What Cruiser are you driving for low beam to stay on, or have you changed something.  Also Low beam should be 55W

I agree your scenario is a common on but even so you should still dip your lights as soon as you see the other vehicle instead of waiting for them to flash you. 

I find this thread a bit odd. If your non standard / poorly adjusted lights are blinding others, it's their fault for getting pi$$ed off?

that is the biggest problem with low beam and with a loaded vehicle, poorly adjusted lights, nothing like chasing possums 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

KingBilly

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »
I didn't know there was a maximum wattage of bulb that is now part of legislation. Just had to meet relevant ADR I thought? In QLD anyhow.

Shane.

Yeah I have no idea either but I would have thought the ADR would stipulate a maximum wattage otherwise it would be anything goes.  Don't really have the time to research.  It was just a simple question I thought someone might know the answer to.

KB

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 10:12:25 AM »
Yeah I have no idea either but I would have thought the ADR would stipulate a maximum wattage otherwise it would be anything goes.  Don't really have the time to research.  It was just a simple question I thought someone might know the answer to.

KB
No such thing as a simple question when it comes to tpt regulations.  :D

I'm sure I read a bulletin somewhere, a while ago, that stated something like, the new requirements is to measure the lumens or cd/cp or something of the actual light and wattage is of no relevance, as it is a measurement of power consumption, and not light emitted ???

Sure it was something like that  ???  Can't remember exactly.

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

KingBilly

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »
No such thing as a simple question when it comes to tpt regulations.  :D

I'm sure I read a bulletin somewhere, a while ago, that stated something like, the new requirements is to measure the lumens or cd/cp or something of the actual light and wattage is of no relevance, as it is a measurement of power consumption, and not light emitted ???

Sure it was something like that  ???  Can't remember exactly.

Shane.

That makes sense.  Thanks  :cheers:

KB

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »
In all honestly, though I have only been looking for about 30 minutes, I can't find any ADR approved after market HID high/low light kits for on-road use... Just as a personal query, do they actually exist? Has anyone checked?
Tim
IT and Graphics

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 11:34:53 AM »
In all honestly, though I have only been looking for about 30 minutes, I can't find any ADR approved after market HID high/low light kits for on-road use... Just as a personal query, do they actually exist? Has anyone checked?

Don't think any do.

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »

I could be wrong...
But on another forum I remember reading, that if the vehicle didn't come out with them, then it can't legally be done..
May be possible to have them signed off on by an engineer, but would need lens washers? The ability to adjust...
That's what I remember reading at the time. But I stress.. I could be wrong.
Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »
Yes, I read that same thread... I know that there are many kits about, but none of them seem ADR approved... you can't just walk into any auto shop and buy them over the counter which leaves me to wonder.

Personally, I have had hi low HIDs in a little car... but I took them out as they definitely do damage the reflectors!

Don't think any do.

Yes, I'm quickly coming to that conclusion...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:58:06 AM by autoelecau »
Tim
IT and Graphics

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »
Well, making something out of nothing eh.

There are 2 globes on low beam.  One on the left and one on the right.  55W ea. = 110W.
There are two globes each side that stay lit on High beam in my FZJ105r.
And the 2 IPF driving lights have 130W Halogen bulbs. 1 in ea.
Then I could have lit up the 2 Fog lights, another 110W or 55W ea. but I didn't.
All legal and correctly lined up.  And that's not counting the parking lights.

The average security light at your homes comes with 2x150W globes thats 300W.  No one complains they just say it's well lit.
Look at your own vehicles and work it out.  No kits involved.
Besides, If your vehicle didn't come from the factory with HID as an option.  Your NOT ALLOWED to fit them as an after market option in Victoria.  It's in the Lighting Reg's for Registration Requirements.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:22:30 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »
http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/headlights

And this interesting titbit enclosed within.....

A common question from those seeking to improve their vehicle's  lights relates to the maximum legal wattage headlight that can be fitted.

Simply, there is no maximum wattage for headlights defined in legislation. A 'Watt' is a measure of electrical power and is not a reliable or appropriate measure of light output, though in the past it has been (quite incorrectly) used as a default standard for light output.

The Australian Design Rules for Road Vehicles use either Lumens or Candela to define light output (different parts of the standard use different units of measurement). For high beam headlights the total light output of all headlights is not permitted to exceed 225,000cd, though you need to read ADR13 to understand how this measurement is applied, as it isn't as straightforward as it appears.

There is no maximum specified for dipped beam headlights, however anything over 2,000 lumens requires a self levelling system and headlight washers, so by default, given that these systems would be impractical to retrofit, this could be regarded as the maximum for normal practical purposes.

However, bulb manufacturers almost without exception use Watts, or other even less useful marketing terms, which cannot be compared to the design rule requirements

2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »
Another interesting point someone made on another forum (??? I think  ???) is that UV/sun damaged polycarbonate senses can also be a bit on the blinding side for oncoming traffic. I don't know if this is true or not, but maybe worth considering. I imagine, your over-all light output would be reduced also.
Tim
IT and Graphics

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »
Thanks DOC.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »
The damaged polycarbonate lenses diffuse the light.
Spread it everywhere.  The headlights no longer have the cut off designed into the light pattern.
Easily fixed using: Toothpaste, silvo, Brasso, Chrome metal polish.  Take your pick.
There was even a video where a panel beater did it with wet and dry and cutters.
Have to be 1500 grit or finer.  Not sure what they said they used.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline mickmac42

• Swag User
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 08:25:57 PM »
About a year ago i did a fair bit of looking into the HID situation in Qld. I can't be bothered looking up the references, so i'll just go off my memory. There were a few things that were required for HIDs;

1. self levelling/auto adjusting lights - means that when you put a load in the back causing the front to point upwards, the headlights automatically adjust down to point in the right direction. This can be achieved by leveling of the bulb within the lamp housing, or auto leveling of the suspension. Manual adjusters are not acceptable.
2. sector limit on illumination - if you shine factory HIDs at a wall you'll notice they have a clearly defined upper limit.
3. lamp housing - you'll notice that factory HIDs are generally fitted in lense style housings. This helps with the sector limit. Aftermarket bulbs often just plug into reflector style housings, and are often the ones that dazzle other drivers. The lamp housing should have a marking on it which indicates that it's approved, as well as what bulb type is approved for use. If it's not approved for use with HID bulbs, then it's not approved. I think this is where most mods fall down. Even if they do everything else, it's still non-compliant if the lamp housing isn't approved for the bulb that's inside.
4. Light washer - I'm a bit iffy on this one, but i think i recall a requirement for HID lights to have headlight washers installed. Not sure if it was required to be included as part of a mod (installing HID lights), or if it was a requirement to keep it when doing other mods (fitting of a bull bar that isn't set up for head light washers).

Most factory fitted HID headlights will look like small but bright points of light from every angle except directly ahead of where they're pointing, but you shouldn't usually see that if they're angled correctly. You may get a quick flash if the car goes over a bump. The aftermarket HIDs are usually fitted into reflector housings and look like a glaring bright light visible from wide angles.

Ultimately, when a car is manufactured, it gets signed off as being compliant with ADR's (or given an exemption). Modifications to the car come two basic forms. That is, those needing approval, and those that don't need approval. Check the National Code of Practice (or whatever version your state is running) section of vehicle modifications for a pretty straight forward guide, then read the ADR's for the nuts and bolts.

My advice to most people is just because you can buy it, doesn't mean it's legal to fit it. Also, show consideration to other road users. There may be a bunch of inconsiderate pricks out there who speed, weave, and piss off everyone, but is that any reason for you to join them?

Also, fog lights are only allowed on (in Qld) when visibility is restricted by fog. In my opinion they're almost as bad as aftermarket HIDs because of how dazzling they can be. Some are so bright that drivers don't realise they don't have their low beams on. Most people have no idea of this rule (or even how to turn them on or off) and drive around with them on all the time. Police just don't usually enforce the rule because there are so many other things to do. There are limits on how intense the lights can be, so fitting HIDs is probably not legal.

I hope this has been helpful. I'm a bit strung out at the moment, and it's been a while so some of it may not be 100%, but like i said, if you're doing a mod then you should be looking up the rules for yourself, not relying of what you read from someone on an internet forum. A copper isn't going to car that "mickmac42 told you it was okay."

Mike
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »
So we all know HIDs fitted to vehicles without washers & levellers is not roadworthy.

If you ran a certain Land Rover workshop with a highly modified Disco wrapped in your company logo and URL, why would you fit HIDs?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2014, 08:34:29 AM »
Mike was spot on.
HID needs to be factory original. Self levelling and high pressure washer.  Theoretically they could be retrofitted but would cost a fortune to comply.
If the suspension in any way forms part of the self levelling then you can't have a suspension upgrade.

Most states have the Australian road rules, so are all about the same (minor variations)
Vehicle standards are  different between states but still similar as they are modelled around the ADRs
The issue with fog lights is in Vic before 1999 (pre road rules) they could only be see in fog.  The Road Rules came in and that law wasn't included.  2009 the update of Road Rules came in and fog lights were again regulated.  How do you change 10 years of bad habits?  During that 10 years a lot of lighting standards were also missing which allowed all sorts of light colours and combinations.

As already said, just because you can buy it doesn't mean you can use it.  The example I use is you can buy a bong.......
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
Better hide that bong at work then. Don't want you finding it. ;D
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎